Search results

1. mckern

turning off water requires careful "tuning" of the faucet

I replaced the cartridges in the bathtub/shower to deal with leaking and now I have a new problem. Both faucets handles can be turned in complete circles--cutting the flow of the water requires very precise positioning of each faucet handle. If I take off the faucet handle and simply turn...
  2. mckern

broken drain lever redux

Last month I asked for advice regarding retrieving the brass plug that (I assumed) was blocking the bathtub drain. I wasn't able to snag the plug--which continued to slip lower in the pipe, nor could I loosen the slip nut where the overflow pipe meets the tee pipe. A stronger friend visits...
  3. mckern

Broken drain lever

The bathtub drain lever separated from the mechanism and the plug now prevents the tub from draining. I've tried to fish it out with a stiff wire, bent into a hook, and it seems that I am able to hook the plunger, but I can't get it to budge from its position. Neither WD-40 or Liquid Wrench...
  4. mckern

Upgrade to 120 amp service without rewiring?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about this subject to write an understandable question, so please forgive incorrect terms, etc. I own a condo in a 6 unit building with Federal Pacific Electric panels/breakers that we are planning to replace this fall. We are also considering upgrading to 120...
  5. mckern

Another question re load-bearing wall (w/ pics)

I am converting an awkward bedroom closet (2.5 ft wide, 5 ft deep) into an alcove in my kitchen by opening the wall between the rooms. I want to remove 2 studs so that I can slide the fridge (28" wide) and a 15" pantry cabinet into this space. There is another foot of closet space on the right...
  6. mckern

Is this a pigtail?

In the few pictures I've seen of pigtails associated with pressuretrols, the pipe makes a complete loop, rather than the inverted "J" attached to our boiler/pressuretrol (highlighted in the picture). Is this OK or should it be replaced? Thanks
  7. mckern

What's more likely, shared risers or separate risers?

What are the odds that the risers in a 3 story/6 unit (2/floor) 1920 building are shared? My condo association is considering some changes--I'm hoping to narrow the discussion down to what's actually possible before we call a plumber. Background-- About the building: There are 4 sets of...
  8. mckern

New plumber says old plumber didn't know what he was doing

I own a condo in a 6 unit/3 floor ~1920 building. About 8-10 years ago (before my time), the lateral galvanized pipes were replaced with copper. Recently, grit from deteriorating pipes is causing problems in faucets throughout the building. The long-time plumber suggested that we replace the...
  9. mckern

Installing individual shut-off valves in condo building

I own a condo in a 6 unit/3 story 1920 building. Due to issues associated with shutting off the building water supply (shifting grit in the galvanized pipes that causes water pressure issues—which you all helped me with a couple of days ago), the board is considering having individual...
  10. mckern

Damaged due to water shut-off/turn-on in 1920 condo building

I own a condo in a 3 story/6 unit building. Recently, one owner consulted a plumber, who said that we risk serious damage to our old plumbing system when we shut of the building water supply to do repairs. What can we do to minimize the risk? Background: although most fixtures in the building...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks