Search results

1. ctkeebler

Subfloor in basement which is correct

Well I am finally putting down the new sub floor in my basement here in Connecticut. After the advice I got here this is the plan: 6mm of ploy over the concrete floor. Then 1/2 inch XPS rigid foam board with 3/4 plywood (probably tongue and grove) on top. Then either power actuated nails or...
  2. ctkeebler

final sub floor over concrete plan (I hope)

Well I am finally putting down the new sub floor in my basement here in Connecticut. After the advice I got here this is the plan: 6mm of ploy over the concrete floor. Then 1/2 inch XPS rigid foam board with 3/4 plywood (probably tongue and grove) on top. Then either power actuated nails...
  3. ctkeebler

Just to make sure I understand the insulation rigid board I should use on the floor Dow 1/2" x 8' x 4' R-3.3 Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulated Sheathing is not the correct stuff right even though it has moisture resistant facers?
  4. ctkeebler

any thoughts on painting the floor with the drylock or similar
  5. ctkeebler

Drick I thought the same thing and if I remember correctly the answer was that you want the concrete the breath and the paint wont let the concrete breath
  6. ctkeebler

Im guessing laying down two layers of poly is not a good idea?
  7. ctkeebler

I am working on solving the water issues, sump pump, gutters draining into 4 inch pipes under ground and pipe running 100 feet away from house. Sealing cracks in floor, looking at drains around the sides of the house. But also want to do what is the best on the inside of the house. I'm...
  8. ctkeebler

is the 3/4 inch xps foam covered with 5/8 plywood strong enough to support a dryer and front load washer? They are non stackable and are side by side.
  9. ctkeebler

What are you trying to accomplish with the Delta? Just getting the floor off the concrete? Are you just going to tapcon the plywood to the concrete through the delta? I dont have alot of room, but the 1inch foam and the 5/8 plywood is only about 5/8 more than the dricore I had down so that...
  10. ctkeebler

Thanks Dana, I guess the thought of the dimpled plastic was for air movement to keep it dry if there was any moisture or seepage. So your recommendation is a 6ml poly vapor barrier, then the XPS foam and 5/8 plywood/osb on top of that all tapcon to the concrete floor? One inch minimum on the...
  11. ctkeebler

Dane Thanks, What are your thoughts on the use of a dimpled plastic membrane like the Delta FL or planton, then either 1/2 inch or 1 inch foam and then plywood on top of that. OR just the dimpled plastic membrance and plywood on top of that? Is OSB or Plywood a better option? Thanks Ill...
  12. ctkeebler

Hello I am remodeling/refinishing my basement in Connecticut. I have a question about putting down a subfloor. What would be the recommended or preferred way? (1) Put 1 inch XPS foam directly on the concrete floor then 3/4 or 5/8 plywood on top and tapcon both the wood and foam to the...
  13. ctkeebler

Side venting of basement bathroom

Thanks for the information. I guess Im better off venting the second bathroom on its own vent and go through the roof. Now I have to figure out how to tell my wife to finish the bathroom I need to make a hole in the kitchen wall (that she just remodeled and painted) to run a pvc vent pipe.
  14. ctkeebler

Side venting of basement bathroom

Hello I live in Connecticut and and am thinking about putting a basement bath room in during a remodel. I cant easily get to the upstairs vent stack. My question is: I was told I could run the vent out the side of the house, but there is height code. Does anybody know how high off of grade...
  15. ctkeebler

Extruded Polystyrene Insulation

My question to them was about interior below grade. Ill copy the email they sent and post it here.
  16. ctkeebler

Today I got a email from Ownes Corning that stated they recommend that I do not use polystyrene in a below ground application, but did not specify why. I sent a reply back for more information, but have not heard back yet.
  17. ctkeebler

In previous posts the advice I was given was to use Extruded Polystyrene Insulation in my basement walls. I see at the big orange box store they have 3/4 -2x8 FOAMULAR Extruded Polystyrene Insulation with an r value 0f 3.8. Can I double this up to give me more insulation and r value or or is...
  18. ctkeebler

vapor barrier basement in Northeast

Charlie, that is what I was thinking or just using 2 inch foam leaving the air space between the drywall and the foam. I guess the 2x4 really gives me about 3 1/2 inches so I would have to see how thick or thin the batt insulation is so its not jammed between the foam and the drywall.
  19. ctkeebler

Can I leave the traditional 2x4 construction walls in place and put the rigid foam behind the 2x4 wall? I have to cut away the bottom plate as it is because its not pressure treated, so I will have some play with the 2x4s studs. This may leave an air gap between the drywall and the foam...
  20. ctkeebler

Big Lou, I have no idea as I have not priced that option because I thought the fiberglass batts was the proper way. I see that I can use the furing strips with the rigid foam, but Im not sure how if this provides enough nailing for the sheetrock and how to attach the electrical boxes.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks