Search results

1. Fidodie

Winterize Ant-sweat valve

Thanks for the advice - it is a high use WC when the family is there - 6 adults, 5 kids + friends - I'm going to try the valve approach. incoming water is below 50deg, and the whole unit sweats, which is really nice in the middle of the night. i'm able to 'blow' into the valve and get a air...
  2. Fidodie

Ejector Tie-In

my assumption was that there wouldn't be a way to get a solid fitting into place since the pipe cannot be lifted or lowered the required 3" for the fitting, since the the horizontal run is CI... probably shouldn't assume tho.
  3. Fidodie

3" pvc to cast iron bell

cut the bell off with a sawzall, and use a std banded coupler ????? is this into a fitting or end of a pipe?
  4. Fidodie

Ejector Tie-In

without being too obtuse - where will the vent tie in? Local code in NJ, USA required a 2" vent for the ejector....my run is about 35 feet long, but ties into the main vent about 2' from the 3" roof vent. C actually looks easy - just use banded couplers rather than regular pvc - ??? Hey...
  5. Fidodie

Winterize Ant-sweat valve

Hi All, My Dad is a snowbird - NY/FL - in the winter, the NY house is shut down - in the summer, the toilet sweats to the point there is a puddle! After a couple years of threatening, I will install an anti-sweat valve - it occured to me that it has check valves to prevent the comingling of...
  6. Fidodie

Hangers ??

Nice Info on CI, thanks. the sawzall blade was recommended by a plumber over the snap method, in case the pipe was brittle. and i don't have an electric cut-off saw (i don't like using a gas saw inside!!) I think the CI hangars are ok, because it is masonry, and i hammered in flutes, since it...
  7. Fidodie

Hangers ??

Hi All - What are the requirement for hangers on the horizontal in this situation - about 48" of PVC and 62" between the hangers on the CI. The wood blocks attached to the wall maintain the gap behind the pipe. as you can see, i like the color purple, and the neat streaks it makes when...
  8. Fidodie

Could be good...could be bad

Thanks for the replies - the laundry would be tapping into 3/4" lines already in the wall - the bath group would be tapping into a set of 3/4" lines in the basement. seems my concern about pressurizing the whole system is no concern - - guess i should turn off the main valve also - should be...
  9. Fidodie

Could be good...could be bad

Hi all, working on some last supply side items to get ready for rough plumbing and i have two ways to go - situation: it is a laundry and bath group on a first floor, full basement underneath Choices: there are places i can tie into existing copper inside the wall - which means...
  10. Fidodie

Testing this new Drain

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll contact the inspector - see what he proposes. He's made some suggestions before. (between chuckles of course...) if i really need to test the system "in place" - then i have a location to put a clean-out/plug below, and i can probably plug the bath group...
  11. Fidodie

Testing this new Drain

I'm splicing a new clothes washer drain into my main stack - the stack is is 3" copper. The stud may need to be notched depending on the solution here. I may also swap the valve/drain position for more clearance. anyway, our inspector requires 10lbs of air, or 15' of head as a test - this...
  12. Fidodie

Water usage 100,000 gallons per month?!

almost = >14gpm through 3/4 feed for my sprinkling system...!!!. ok almost 900.
  13. Fidodie

How do I change out a sewage elbow? (Pictures provided)

some observations/questions from a "scientist".... 0. the suggestion to get a "real" plumber is valid, because your pictures and descriptions generate more questions than the pictures and posts can efficiently answer...a pro, on-sight would immediately see the most efficient solution...that...
  14. Fidodie

vent size - i know you all love these

ah - a simple solution to life's tough problems....i think i may even have the banded couplers around. many thanks. I too assume that 1.5" will work...but the inspector would probably want to see the math.. as a jets fan, i do see them choking down the stretch, but beating miami so that the...
  15. Fidodie

vent size - i know you all love these

This was going to be so easy - slide a 2" vent up through a gap between a door frame (jack stud), and the perpendicular closet wall. drilled up, and found that the 2" pipe would not fit in the gap - just a hair too big - I have other options, but they mess with my plans for an A/C vent, and...
  16. Fidodie

Water usage 100,000 gallons per month?!

my guess is someone working in the area such as landscaper, lawn service, etc turned it on, wanted the water to clear the hose so it would be cold to drink, and then left it on - could also be kids. i have a well, and can do almost 1000 gals per hour through the hose - hopefully it was...
  17. Fidodie

Ipc 2003 handbook - bath group/wet vent

thank you! The lav/laundry drain drops into the neighboring joist bay - and just clips the top of the joist - knocked out about 1/2 inch - i probably could have turned back into the center of the joist and used it as the vent - but rather than drill it, i just created its own 4' horizontal...
  18. Fidodie

Ipc 2003 handbook - bath group/wet vent

I'm staring at a picture of a horizontal wet vent figures 9.13 & 9.14 in the 2003 intl plumbing code book - here is a link - i'm 95% sure that is what we uses as of last year sometime. this example is a back-to-back bath group (terminology check?) with a single vent - it looks wet, and it...
  19. Fidodie

Servers tripping GFCI

if there is an led to tell you the ground is good - and it isn't something that requires you to press a switch, I'd say you found the source. on another note, "critical" equipment, even in a wet environment, should not be on a gfci - consider a sump pump or sewage ejector...you wouldn't want...
  20. Fidodie

Expansion Tank Installation

if you install it upside down, then air goes up into the tank, and cann't get out -reducing the functionality of the tank. vertical, opening up is best.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks