Search results

1. Bill MD

Installing a Wood Stove

I want to build a wall protector shield around my wood burning stove. I’m considering using metal back splash. The material I’m considering is called Fascade 18 In. x 24 In. Traditional 4 Cross Hatch Silver Panel Backsplash. It’s available from Home Depot. I tried to insert a link but was...
  2. Bill MD

Attic Vent Fan

Solar Attic Fan I'm considering installing the Sunrise FB850FT in my attic. From what I can find out it seems to be a good choice. But I have one concern. The solar panel is a flexible module. Is there any great disadvantage to this? Some solar panels are tempered glass. Is that better? The...
  3. Bill MD

Solar Attic Fan

Thanks for the info. FYI, I live on the Maryland Eastern Shore. So the fan will run a lot during the summer.
  4. Bill MD

Solar Attic Fan

I need to replace my attic fan. Recently I've heard of solar powered attic fans. Seems to me that installing one may be a good idea. I know that a solar fan will save electricity but costs more than fans that require external power. Anyone have any thoughts as to the pros and cons of solar...
  5. Bill MD

Installing a Wood Stove

Thanks for the reply Dave I just got an estimate for installing a Vogelzang TR001 in my one floor home with an attic. Cost including the stove, hearth pad for under stove, pipe, and tax is $3003. Does this sound reasonable?
  6. Bill MD

Installing a Wood Stove

Sove Prices While shopping for a wood stove I've found that the prices seem to fall into 2 groups. Some are priced around $600 to $800 while others of the same size are well over $1,000. Anyone have an idea as to why?
  7. Bill MD

Installing a Wood Stove

Thanks for the suggestions.
  8. Bill MD

Installing a Wood Stove

I'm considering the Englander 13 NC and the Vogelzang TR 001. Any thoughts? Thanks
  9. Bill MD

Heat Pump Pressure

I have a Ducane Model HP12B36 heat pump. Can anyone tell me what the high and low side pressures should be? Thanks
  10. Bill MD

Mold

Enzyme Mold Remediation I,ve heard of enzyme treatments that will get rid of mold and don't require removing counters, drywall, etc. One treatment is discribed at this site: http://www.guardianpreservation.com/services/mold-remediation/mold-remediation.html They say their product...
  11. Bill MD

Mold

Crawl Space What is the best way to take care of damp crawl space? I hear there are 2 ways. One is to add ventilation. The other is to completely seal the crawl space by putting a vapor barrier over the ground and up the walls, sealing the vents, and installing a dehumidifier. Anyone have...
  12. Bill MD

Replacement Sump Pump

Thanks for the reply Mike. I may want to consider the one from Sears. Since I last posted I thought of another idea to keep a sump pump operating during a power outage. An uninterruptable power source could be used instead of the backup systems we discussed in previous posts. What I'm talking...
  13. Bill MD

Replacement Sump Pump

I need to replace another sump pump. This one I'm thinking of replacing it with the Basement Watchdog Big Dog. See the following link for info. http://www.basementwatchdog.com/basement_watchdog_bigdog.htm The main reason I want to do this is because I would like to have battery backup...
  14. Bill MD

Best Sump Pump

Thanks for the reply Zoeller. Can you tell me how much this item costs and if there is anyplace in the Washington, DC area where I can buy it? Thanks
  15. Bill MD

Best Sump Pump

Thanks for the 800 number. I ordered a swithch, gasket, and arm & seal today. These are all the parts I need to repair the pump. But I thought of one other thing. Maybe I should replace the nut and gasket that go around the wire where it enters the motor. Is this something I could get locally at...
  16. Bill MD

Best Sump Pump

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting a Zoeller M53 which has a float switch mounted on the motor. I looked for the N53 that comes with the type of switch that you recommended but it seems like nobody around here stocks it and I didn't want to wait for a special order. Also the verticle...
  17. Bill MD

Failed Water Heater

Thanks again. Looks kike I just had a defective heater. Just one question. Is there any reason not to buy water heaters at Lowes, Home Depot, etc? I can see avoiding some off brands they may carry, but why not buy name brands like GE from them?
  18. Bill MD

Failed Water Heater

Answers Thanks for the Replies. I'll try to answer your questions. How water got past the check valves puzzels me. The check valves look like pipe nipples and have little balls in them which block flow in one direstion. They were located on top of the heater on the inlet and outlet...
  19. Bill MD

Failed Water Heater

My GE gas water heater started to leak from the bottom. This surprised me since this heater has a 12 year warranty and it is only 4 years old. When I was taking it out so that I could replace it I noticed that the check valves for the hot and cold water lines were reversed. Could these valves...
  20. Bill MD

Failed Water Heater

Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum. I moved my post to the proper place.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks