Search results

1. IaHawk

Water Heater Trouble Shooting

Thanks for the replies. I do not have one of those valves. I've got a straight copper pipe going down to the cold connection (does have a shut off valve about 18" up), and then the hot looks the same, but with no shut off valve. The hot is just a copper pipe running straight up from the...
  2. IaHawk

The hot and colds look to be correct. When I turn on the hot water, the output is hot (for a while) and the cold is cold. How would I know if the mixing valve were the problem?
  3. IaHawk

Thanks for all the replies. Unless there are issues related to dip tubes manufactured and used by Ruud in the past three years, then I think something must have happened on the initial install or later. Unit was new when installed in late 2005. I looked at the threaded to sweat connection...
  4. IaHawk

Sorry. I should have clarified. This is the exisitng water heater. It was not newly installed by them. It's been in the same locaiton and had the same connections for about two years. I'll check the cold water connection. Call me crazy, but could it be possible that when the thing was...
  5. IaHawk

Hi all. I've been having some issues with my water heater and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. We are having our basement finished, and I had some issues with the original plumbers (see separate post). In any event, I'm on company #2 and so far so good. They will not be...
  6. IaHawk

Aquapex expansion question (Wirsbo)

I agree....nobody is perfect. However, if they were uncomfortable with this product, they should not have bid on the work. I'd be more than glad to have them fix it, but it's clear they don't know what they are doing, or they wouldn't have called in the other guy. It's also clear the guy they...
  7. IaHawk

Thanks to all. I called Wirsbo and asked for a list of "certified" Wirsbo installers in my area. They gave me a list and I called one of the local companies. They are having a guy who has used the stuff before come back out and redo the fittings. The guy on the phone estimated 1.5 to 2 hours...
  8. IaHawk

So it seems the consensus is that I need to have these connections re-done. Obviously I'll have to have someone else do it. I know talking specific prices is taboo, but any idea on the amount of time and general range of cost for redoing these? Thanks.
  9. IaHawk

By the way. Thanks to Master Plumber Mark. So far, you've been spot on in your assessment on the problem I've been having. Thanks.
  10. IaHawk

UPDATE with pics Ok. They had another guy they work with sometimes come over. He couldn't figure it out either. He ultimately concluded, by looking, that they had nicked the brass nipples when cutting off the capped pieces. This guy went and got new manifolds--no charge to me. They...
  11. IaHawk

Master Plumber Mark, Thanks for the reply. The area where they are having problems is where they are trying to attach the wirsbo tubing to an existing manifold. The manifold was put in when the house was originally built. There were a couple of extra spots that were capped off. They are...
  12. IaHawk

Hi all. Quick question. I'm having some plumbing work done in my basement and the guys that I hired typically work with PEX?? as opposed to the Wirsbo Aquapex that is in the rest of my house. They are matching what I have and they are using the expansion tool. They made a bunch of...
  13. IaHawk

Leaking Plumbing Vent (inside)

So now I'm really pissed. I ended up calling the builder to have his guys come look at it-and another issue, which I subsequently resolved--I think. One of his guys calls and could tell from talking to the guy within the first minute that he wasn't all that bright, but I gave him the benefit...
  14. IaHawk

Supposed to get up to the mid 50's here on Sun. Should be warm enough to work on my project and there will be plenty of melted snow and water on the roof so I can see exactly what's going on up there.
  15. IaHawk

Maybe GrumpyPlumber is right... Here's another shot of the assembly from a different angle. Again, I'm a novice at this stuff, but when I'm looking at some of the exposed stuff in our utility room in the basement, the blue lettering that is near the joint is almost always smeared. My guess is...
  16. IaHawk

I am going to increase the support by placing support directly under the elbow, or just off to the side. Shouldn't be too tough to do. I certainly agree the flashing seal can hold water and needs to be pushed up. While I don't want to create more work for myself, I still think I need to...
  17. IaHawk

That makes two of us. I think at this point I'm going to do both--push the flange up while replacing the section we've talked about. I really gave the coupling a good tug while I was up there and it won't budge. Seems like it was glued, but not very well. I was hoping the lettering on the...
  18. IaHawk

Thanks for the replies. I still believe my leak is where I described earlier. Since it's about 10 below today, there isn't water but instead ice. A little in the tray that I placed below the assembly, but not much. There is no ice on the top of the 3 inch coupling. The ice is only on the...
  19. IaHawk

Here's a pic of the actual part I'm replacing. It seems to be supported ok. There's one of those j-shaped plastic hangers holding it about two feet from the elbow--maybe a little closer. I can always add support when I'm up there. There's definitely nothing right underneath the elbow though.
  20. IaHawk

This is the type I have.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks