Search results

1. interalian

Pony panel in attached garage (Alberta)

It's an attached garage, and none of the existing circuits are GFCI. Oustide plugs are GFCI though. Build date was 2002, so it could have changed since then.
  2. interalian

So, I decided to cut the cable where it disappears up the wall and abandon the last 15'. Turns out there's enough cable from the main panel to re-route to a different spot in the garage, so I'll be able to connect a sub panel directly. Now, I'm most familiar with Federal Stablok panels, but...
  3. interalian

Thanks for the info. It'll make my life easier knowing I don't have to waste much cable.
  4. interalian

I have a basic 15A circuit in the main service panel to the attached garage for lights and the code-minimum plugs. The original owner also had a 40A 240 line run to a range plug for some reason. I have no use for that and would like to convert the circuit to feed an 8 or 10 circuit pony panel...
  5. interalian

Ductwork issues, balance and basement renovation

I wasn't able to get any readings higher than 0.02" across any door, which is so close to the Pyle's stated resolution that I'm going to call it noise. I had a well respected HVAC company out to look at the system on Friday and quote for my renovation work, and his first thought was my main...
  6. interalian

Correction: Main furnace is 100,000BTU, top floor is 75,000BTU. I like the idea of sealing all the register boots to the subfloor, along with the boot joint as accessible. Note in this region, supply registers are floor mounted, returns wall mounted at floor level. I'm considering a zone...
  7. interalian

Thank you for the detailed response! That's a lot to chew on. On review of my original post, I found an error - there are four, not three supply registers in the kitchen/dining/living area. 2002 build, not particularly well sealed envelope. There are no ducts outside the building envelope...
  8. interalian

We have a 2-storey 2600' house with an unfinished 1500' basement. There are two furnaces: one for top floor (70,000BTU with 3ton AC) for ~1100'. The other for main floor/basement (120,000BTU, no AC), ~3000' combined. All supply lines 5". I'll explain the ducting layout and issues by floor and...
  9. interalian

Random Main Blower Cycling

Circling back to answer my own question after a couple of years: Turns out the problem was broken slats on the kitchen range exhaust where it runs through the wall. The original builder fitted a pressure switch in the duct between the range hood and the wall so the furnace fan would come on...
  10. interalian

Unit heater draft inducer?

If the bearings were bound up due to cold/old lube and you've got it turning now, I'd say a little light oil would be OK. Is there any play in the shaft? I just put a new one on my garage heater as the original 12yo one was grinding due to worn bearings. Only $60, so replacement made sense.
  11. interalian

Furnace not lighting

Can't tell you how many times I've had to clear the vacuum port on the draft inducer on various furnaces over the years. Pull off the hose then poke into the port with a bit of wire, then put the hose back. Without enough vacuum to trip the switch, the gas valve won't open.
  12. interalian

Routing heat ducts through engineered joists?

My basement renovation is finally underway. Yay! I want to re-route two 5" heat runs through engineered joists to eliminate the need for an ugly bulkhead in the main room. I've done a little research and have found that cutting holes is permissable but no closer than 4' from the point...
  13. interalian

Hiding TV wiring

So, in this way, you'd also be OK fishing an extension cord through the wall as long as it wasn't 'permanent'?
  14. interalian

Hiding TV wiring

That's about what I thought, since there are no issues with whatever rat's nest of AC and other wires that might be behind your hifi or home theater amplifier. Just wondering if there was a code issue for permanent in-wall cabling.
  15. interalian

Hiding TV wiring

I'm looking at hiding all the cables to my flat panel TV in the wall. I found a wiring solution from Sanus that lets you run the AC in the wall without need of an electrician, but have heard that it shouldn't be run in the same stud cavity as the power wires that are already there. Is this code...
  16. interalian

Random Main Blower Cycling

I have a 2002/3 vintage Tempstar NTG3100GFG1 for the main furnace and a smaller Tempstar in my house. Aside from having noisy blowers, they work just fine. There's an AC unit on the smaller furnace which only serves the top floor. Strange problem: when it's really windy/blustery outside, the...
  17. interalian

Torquing the flange bolts

Problem solved - thanks for the advice. I must have left the mounting bolts a bit loose originally or the toilet got moved by some 2-ton Tessie. All's well now and I sealed around the front 3/4 for extra security against future movement. Should it ever fail again, I'll re-do the flange so it...
  18. interalian

That could be part of the problem. This is a bathroom reno done 2 years ago which had vinyl floor originally. Ripped out the K3 subfloor and replaced with plywood then tiled. Likely the top surface of the flange is 3/8 to 1/2" below finished tiles now. However, I don't recall if I used a...
  19. interalian

Thanks. The flange is firmly attached to the subfloor (3/4" plywood with 1/2" overlay for tiling, relief cut around the flange). I originally used a thick wax seal with the dreaded plastic collar (won't again) and seated the bog fully before tightening - seemed to be about 3/4" of compression...
  20. interalian

I did a quick search but came up empty, so: How tight is right for the two bolts holding the toilet to the flange? The fear of cracking the bottom of the porcelain is pretty high, especially when re-seating with a new wax ring or two. An approximate torque figure? I recall a GM car service...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks