Search results

1. Pete C

tankless coil inline with hybrid?

I have a hybrid WH that I installed and have been very happy with. My old Smiths boiler was rusted badly. The victim of my hard/acidic well water which I did not treat untill about 7-8 years ago. I found an identical boiler on CL which is in very good shape. It was owned by a recently retired...
  2. Pete C

Electric or indirect?

When I bought my house, about 20 years ago, I installed a new Smiths boiler and an indirect water heater. The water heater developed a leak in the coil after about 3 years. It was replaced under warranty. The replacement did the same. Used the tankless coil that the boiler came with for a few...
  3. Pete C

Expansion tank life?

I have an Amtrol expansion tank. When I moved into the house in 2001 it looked pretty new. It don't look new, anymore. Surface rust at the welds. It is not leaking....yet. I have another pinhole leak in the plumbing between the pump and tank. I am going to do what I should have done a while...
  4. Pete C

Tub faucet question

I have a two handle faucet for a whirlpool tub. Have had it about 20 years. Bought it used with the tub. My guess is it is a little more than 20 years old. It has always worked fine but the last few weeks, when turning off the hot, it felt a little odd, as if there was some resistance just...
  5. Pete C

My "new" WH had bad elements.

Bought off CL. Seller said he bought it from a guy who used it for a year before switching to gas. He had intentions of installing it after adding solar to his home, but decided against it because he will be moving soon. It sat in his basement for 4 years. It looked good, the seller seemed...
  6. Pete C

Inline tankless coil/electric water heater

I have a Smiths boiler about 17 years old. It came with a tankless coil. When I installed it, I did not use the TC as I installed a Bock indirect heater. The Bock lasted a few years before my hard acid well water ate through the coil. Bock replaced under warrantee. The second one lasted a...
  7. Pete C

Lights dim on pump start

Over the last few weeks I have notice a worsening of the house light dimming that occurs on pump start up. I have a gould pump. Bought it new in the box from someone on CL maybe 5-6 years ago. It is wired for 110 operation. I have considered switching it over to 220. I assume it may run better...
  8. Pete C

Would like recommendations for indirect replacement

My Vaughn indirect is leaking like a sieve. Yet another victim of my very hard acidic well water. I am in the process of installing a softener/pH balancing system which will hopefully solve this problem. A while back, when heating oil was 4 bucks a gallon, I said screw it and found an almost...
  9. Pete C

Shortening baseboard radiator

Just put in new kitchen cabinets. I have a low pullout draw which can not be fully opened due to a baseboard radiator. I could just lop a foot or so off the radiator, but this side of the house is already a bit cooler thanks to earlier project where a few sections of baseboard went away so I...
  10. Pete C

Wiring a double oven.

I am getting ready to put in a new kitchen. Going from a standard stove to separate cooktop and double oven. Cooktop will be about where the stove was, so I will use that outlet to supply the cooktop. My question is, can I tap into that to power the double oven, or will I need a separate run...
  11. Pete C

replace/repair jet pump

I have a flotec 3/4 hp jet pump. It has been getting noisier over the last few years. It is now showing signs of what I suspect may be bearing failure. In addition to being noisy, it is starting to have speed fluctuation. I have replaced bearings before on other types of motors. Is it...
  12. Pete C

How to do shower wall corners.

It is finally time to tile. I have a question about corners. Do I tile one wall up close to the corner, then the other wall so that it overlaps the first? Or, should I have them meet evenly and fill the void with caulk? The construction is kerdi over sheetrock with a few coats of ardex...
  13. Pete C

Kerdi membrane install question.

I am building a walk in shower. the Sheetrock is up, time to start putting up the Kerdi. In demo video, they band all corners and lay sheets cut to each wall. Is there any reason I can't use single sheets to go around corners? I understand placing each sheet will be a bit more work, but, it...
  14. Pete C

Shluter floor pan question.

I am building a walk in shower that measures 56x46 with a ft wide bench along the back wall. This gives me a floor that is 56x34. I bought a 48x48 shluter presloped floor and have cut enough away so that it is 48x34. This means i have to fill in each end about 4 inches. The sluter directions say...
  15. Pete C

Shower valve question.

A few years back, I roughed in the plumbing for a walk in shower. I am finally getting around to finishing this much overdue job. I finished the last bit of plumbing from the valve up to the shower head and turned it on. It trickled water. Hmmmm. So I pulled the cartridge out (glacier bay HD...
  16. Pete C

Time for softener/neutralizer system

Well, way past time actually. Over the last decade, I have repaired numerous pinholes in copper pipe, replaced a new bock indirect heater (coiled corroded causing potable water to pressurize the boiler). Replaced that with a different indirect which has a replaceable coil. Well, that coil is...
  17. Pete C

Indirect circulator bad?

I have a vaughn indirect water heater and an armstrong astro 50 circulator pump. Last week I was in the basement diagnosing a bad air vent. Anyway, after reinstalling the vent and purging everything, I shut the boiler feed off....and forgot to turn it back on. :( A few days later my wife...
  18. Pete C

Thinking of going to an electric water heater

With oil prices being what they are, I have been considering going to an electric water heater rather than the tankless coil. I realize that oil BTUs are cheaper than electric ones, but, with oil getting more expensive, I'm not so sure that the difference is that big. I would leave the...
  19. Pete C

tankless coil leak

I installed a tempering valve last week. In doing so, I stressed the output fitting on the tankless coil and it started leaking boiler water. I had my yearly boiler service done a few days later. He said have it welded. The guy at the plumbing supply company said, yeah, that might work....for...
  20. Pete C

indirect hot water heater coil leaking...

... again. 6+ years ago I moved into my current house. I installed a new AO Smith 4 section boiler and a Bock 50 gallon indirect. After about 4 years, give or a take a few months, I get a call from the wife at work. Wife-"THE BASEMENTS FLOODING!!!!!!!!" She says in a rather panicked voice...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks