Search results

1. Pete C

tankless coil inline with hybrid?

I have a hybrid WH that I installed and have been very happy with. My old Smiths boiler was rusted badly. The victim of my hard/acidic well water which I did not treat untill about 7-8 years ago. I found an identical boiler on CL which is in very good shape. It was owned by a recently retired...
  2. Pete C

Electric or indirect?

When I bought my house, about 20 years ago, I installed a new Smiths boiler and an indirect water heater. The water heater developed a leak in the coil after about 3 years. It was replaced under warranty. The replacement did the same. Used the tankless coil that the boiler came with for a few...
  3. Pete C

Expansion tank life?

Current tank is 31" tall, 15" diameter. Don't see gallons listed. Any recommendations on replacement would be appreciated.
  4. Pete C

Expansion tank life?

I have an Amtrol expansion tank. When I moved into the house in 2001 it looked pretty new. It don't look new, anymore. Surface rust at the welds. It is not leaking....yet. I have another pinhole leak in the plumbing between the pump and tank. I am going to do what I should have done a while...
  5. Pete C

Tub faucet question

I have a two handle faucet for a whirlpool tub. Have had it about 20 years. Bought it used with the tub. My guess is it is a little more than 20 years old. It has always worked fine but the last few weeks, when turning off the hot, it felt a little odd, as if there was some resistance just...
  6. Pete C

Hydrogen sulfide gas in hot water tank

I am no plumber, but a filter downstream from a water heater, especially one in a vacation house which sits for long periods, sounds like a bad idea. This water will be sitting warm for extended periods. Sounds like it could make a good petri dish.
  7. Pete C

Hydrogen sulfide gas in hot water tank

Sounds like it is definitely anode induced. Maybe time for a powered anode.
  8. Pete C

My "new" WH had bad elements.

Wasn't aware of this Ceranode thing. So, it looks as though I have another question to ask. I have never experienced a sulfur smell with my water. I have had anode equipped tanks. Is it a waste of money? If it will extend the life of this tank, it might be worth it.
  9. Pete C

So what you are saying is, let it do it's thing....till it doesn't and eventually the tank will fail and you buy another? It would seem to me that if it is going to come loose, best to get it over with. If it looks good, give it a few wraps of teflon tape and put it back. And if I just round...
  10. Pete C

Thanks. When should I be concerned about the anode? One other question. What are your thoughts on adding a blanket? I have heard differing opinions. Some say they are worth it. SOme say that they cause premature external rusting. Would like to hear the thoughts of the pros.
  11. Pete C

Big Bump in Gas Usage Concerning?

And you and I live in northern climates where plumbing is buried quite deep to keep from freezing. Southern areas which don't have to bury water pipes deeply see a huge difference. I used to live in Nashville. In the middle of the summer, I would come home from work and take a shower with...
  12. Pete C

Yes, Terry, you are right. Kinda hard to complain about advice if you ain't paying for it. Thanks to all for your help.
  13. Pete C

Jadnashua, Thank you for confirming how it works everything is currently fine. My last post was just to confirm the sequence of how it operates. Sounds like I ought to go ahead and upgrade the lower element soon to a low density one soon. MPM, I understand that when you buy CL, you are...
  14. Pete C

So, if I have this right.... Bottom element failure means your WH will work, but you won't get more than a few gallons before you start losing temp? Top element failure, you likely won't notice, under normal operation, but if you either remove power, or use a lot to the point where the water...
  15. Pete C

If the lower does burn out, what would be the sympton? Slow recovery?
  16. Pete C

Definitely infinity. No continuity at all. 10 ohms is normal for a 5500 watt element.
  17. Pete C

I understand that. I saw a pic of one that was energized dry and it melted the element. Is that not necessarily how it happens?
  18. Pete C

Bought off CL. Seller said he bought it from a guy who used it for a year before switching to gas. He had intentions of installing it after adding solar to his home, but decided against it because he will be moving soon. It sat in his basement for 4 years. It looked good, the seller seemed...
  19. Pete C

Inline tankless coil/electric water heater

I have a Smiths boiler about 17 years old. It came with a tankless coil. When I installed it, I did not use the TC as I installed a Bock indirect heater. The Bock lasted a few years before my hard acid well water ate through the coil. Bock replaced under warrantee. The second one lasted a...
  20. Pete C

Lights dim on pump start

Over the last few weeks I have notice a worsening of the house light dimming that occurs on pump start up. I have a gould pump. Bought it new in the box from someone on CL maybe 5-6 years ago. It is wired for 110 operation. I have considered switching it over to 220. I assume it may run better...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks