Search results

1. Igor

Self-Contained Switches/Receptacles in Mobile Home

You can find the instructions for one commonly-used brand of self-contained devices here: Wirecon Installation Guide. Note that the end of the document mentions some ways to install the device without using the expensive installation tool. I believe Pass & Seymour manufactures a similar line...
  2. Igor

Emergency Generator Test with questionable results

My guess is that the neutral and one of the hots were swapped somewhere, so those 120V transformers were getting 240V.
  3. Igor

33 amp, 3-phase Clothes Dryer

No. Three-phase power is usually available only in commercial and industrial buildings. It would be quite unusual for a home to have three-phase power. It is possible to install a phase converter to convert single-phase to three-phase, but I doubt that it would be economically practical.
  4. Igor

low voltage wiring?

It depends on where you are. Many states do require licensing for low-voltage work; some don't.
  5. Igor

Christmas light question

My guess is that there's some kind of shunt device built into the socket that's not working. The shunt is supposed to bypass a burned-out filament and allow the rest of the string of lights to keep working when one bulb burns out. Shunts are not very reliable. You can buy a "zapper" that will...
  6. Igor

Help with electric heater connection!!

Quite correct, and fixed electric heaters are considered to be a continuous load. The NEC is available online for free (although you have to register) viewing at the NFPA.org website. Article 424 covers Fixed Electric Space-Heating Equipment. 220.19(A)(1) & 220.20(A) deal with continuous...
  7. Igor

Oven Blew Up at Connector with Element

It's possible that the failure is right at the end of the wire where it connects to the element. If you're lucky, there may be enough slack in the wire to cut off the damaged end of the wire and crimp on a new connector. The usual Faston-type connector that you can buy at a hardware store won't...
  8. Igor

Working length of wire

The NEC (300.14) requires at least 6" of free conductor, measured from the point where the conductor emerges from the cable sheath or raceway, and also the conductors must extend at least 3" from the opening in the box, if any dimension of the opening is less than 8". Note that the 6" is not...
  9. Igor

Ground wire

You can run Romex in EMT if you meet the fill requirements, although usually you wouldn't except for short lengths for protection from damage. I haven't done the math, but I suspect you need something bigger than 1/2" EMT (see Chapter 9, Table 1, Note 9 for the fill calculations.) You should be...
  10. Igor

Ground wire

Was your existing wiring armored cable or in metallic conduit? If so, the conduit or armor serves as the grounding conductor.
  11. Igor

Phantom voltage

Some of the newer Fluke Digital meters have a low-impedance mode to avoid this problem. I'm not sure if other manufacturers have come out with similar products yet.
  12. Igor

Box make up

The NEC requires not less than 1/4" of sheathing inside the box (314.17 (C), 2005 edition.) There is no maximum length of sheathing stated, however if you leave too much sheathing you may not have the 6" minimum length of free conductor required by 300.14, which is measured from the end of the...
  13. Igor

What is the name of the tool??

That "Nut Twister" looks like it's meant to twist the wire nut, not twist the wires before installing the nut. There are other tools out there that will do the same thing; some Ideal screwdrivers have a wire nut wrench in the handle, and you can get wire nut bits for a cordless drill.
  14. Igor

What is the name of the tool??

No, those are for stainless steel safety wire. The safety wire is run through holes drilled in nuts and bolts to keep them from vibrating loose. I don't know of anything like the OP describes that is currently on the market, but there is a patent for a wire-twisting device.
  15. Igor

Replace weatherhead without turning off service?

The risk is more than just being "zapped." The POCO transformer can supply a very large amount of current, perhaps 10,000 amps, in the event of a fault. If you've ever seen an arc welder at work, that arc is only about 100A. If your service wires short while you're working near them, you may be...
  16. Igor

flexible metal conduit/greenfield

You could use a redhead. The NEMA guidelines for installation of flexible metal conduit are available at: http://www.nema.org/prod/be/upload/RV_3_2006_final.pdf
  17. Igor

Your opinions

It depends. This stripper is very nice if: A. You're doing assembly work at a bench, rather than field work, and B. Someone else is paying for the machine.
  18. Igor

Toggle switch help[automotive]

It's simple to hook up a forward/off/reverse switch to run a DC motor. See this website and scroll about halfway down the page to the heading "DPDT Center Off." You'll have to determine for yourself if that's how your power seat works or if it's more complicated.
  19. Igor

single pole double circuit breaker

See http://www.ul.com/regulators/novdec2002.pdf for UL's position on the use of tandem breakers. The 42-circuit limit, which dates back to the 1930's when flammable rubber-insulated wire was used, is going to be removed in the 2008 edition of the NEC.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks