Search results

1. Baumgrenze

Budget Hot Water Recirculation Via Cold Water

I am a new duplex/cottage resident in a CCRC. I'd like install (and perhaps to promote) a working but not super expensive under the sink hot water recirculation pump, manual start, for a bathroom where at best I must run the hot water over 1 minute (a good sink full) before the water is warm...
  2. Baumgrenze

2020 Vision on Bemis Bath Products Toilet Seats

I can see that the 'standard brands' Bemis, Church, and Mayfair all belong to the Bemis Bath Products firm. In 2020, how are these brand names really placed with respect to 'objective product quality?' Are there overlaps or is there a distinct hierarchy? I ask because we moved into a freshly...
  3. Baumgrenze

Milwaukee Hole Hawg Experience

Does anyone have reliability experience to report on the Model 1678-20 Milwaukee Hole Hawg. I have one it is time to sell and I want to represent it honestly. I use a tool like this only a few times a year, so I have no personal basis to vouch for its reliability. I find many examples of the...
  4. Baumgrenze

Should I Replace This P-Trap Assembly?

I have a leaking 1-1/4" under-sink brass drain line. It was installed with 'stock' square-cut grey washers. I did a search and found a strong recommendation for 'Han-tite" washers on the Ridgid forum. I tried searching for them and only found them at Hodes, the source cited in the Ridgid post...
  5. Baumgrenze

Price Pfister 4" Centerset Proper Washer

We've been in the same house 48 years. It gets harder and harder to remember what we replaced years ago and if so, when we did it! We have a Price Pfister 4" Centerset that looks like this one on eBay, save that the handles are chrome. It currently has 00 flat washers. I took out the current...
  6. Baumgrenze

BOB Multiturn Sink Shutoff Washers

I wanted to install a washer on a bathroom sink but the shutoff kept a steady flow so I resorted to my main shutoff. The shutoff also had a persistent packing drip. The house was built in 1955. I think this is original equipment. https://imgur.com/a/LTWoEz4 As you can see, the handle...
  7. Baumgrenze

Wall Oven Wiring - Is a Plug/Socket Permitted

For most of 20 years we cooked and baked in our kitchen using the 1950's 40 inch GE Liberator 2-oven range that came with the house when we purchased it. That range had a 3-prong plug on a heavy cord and there was a matching socket mounted on the junction box wired at 220V. If the stove needed...
  8. Baumgrenze

3 Switch Light Circuit - One Leg at 79% Lower Voltage - Cause For Concern?

Recently I restored to working the 3 switch light circuit that powers a single, utility incandescent bulb in the 2-car garage of our vintage 1955 tract home. We are the third owners and started our tenure in 1971. I used this tutorial on my first try to restore all 3 switches to service...
  9. Baumgrenze

GCFI Life Expectancy?

We added a seldom used third bathroom in a 2010 remodel. The project was contractor supervised and subjected to approval in multiple building inspections. The 20A Leviton GCFI breaker receptacle no longer responds to 'test/reset' and it no longer provides power to devices plugged into it. It...
  10. Baumgrenze

PVC Unions - Avoiding Crack - Substituting Galvanized Union

Is it possible to edit the title of a post? I now realize this one is misleading. I tried searching for leak + "PVC union" and get no hits. I've addressed my best understanding of the problem in my most recent post. I believe what I need is a lubricant for the o-ring and perhaps the large...
  11. Baumgrenze

Grundfos UP10-16 A PM BU/AC - Sensor Placement

The installation 'instructions' for the Grundfos UP10-16 A PM BU/AC call for the sensor that 'trains the pump' by checking for hot water demand to be installed on the line flowing from the hot water heater to the hot water delivery line and specifies 8-20 inches from the outlet (20-50 cm.) My...
  12. Baumgrenze

Water Hammer - Hosecock - Did I Make a Mistake?

I have a hosecock that has not seen much use since we remodeled in 2010. It hammers rapidly when the flow is restricted, but stops when the flow is full on. It may have worked when I first installed it, but it does not now. We cannot remember. I wanted to install a drip irrigation solenoid near...
  13. Baumgrenze

Plastic Cable Clamps - Long Term Durability

In working in my furnace/utility room I noticed that some recently installed 1/2" copper pipe carrying hot water is secured to a piece of 1 x 6 by black plastic cable clamps. How durable are these clamps? Perhaps the jury is still out if they are relatively new? I can see the downside to using...
  14. Baumgrenze

Expansion Tank Support - Plumber's Tape - Strong Enough?

I have 3 expansion tanks in my furnace/utility room. I recently read some threads here that explain that eventually the rubber diaphragm will fail and the tank will fill with water. Filled with water it may break the pipe holding it unless it is otherwise supported. My tanks are 8" in diameter...
  15. Baumgrenze

Is This a Check Valve?

I did a quick Google image search for 1/2" brass check valves and found nothing like this. It was part of an installation of a hot water recirculation system with a dedicated return. It was performed in 2010. I believe at least 2 plumbers working for different sub-contractors (general...
  16. Baumgrenze

Attach 1/2" Copper Pipe to a 1-1/4" Union on a Brass Pump

I'm looking for a part name and getting frustrated. The maker of my pump created it with 1-1/4" male brass union fittings. I need to connect it to 1/2" copper pipe. It is clear that I don't need 2 complete unions, but rather just the part with the female nut and the flange. What should I...
  17. Baumgrenze

Replace Grundfos UP 10 Pump with UP 10-16 PM

Our house is a single story on cement slab post-and-beam built in 1955. The copper water lines are in/or under the slab floor, and emerge through holes in the wall sill for connection. My venerable UP10 16B5/TLC (P/N 96433895) seems to have finally died. I simply ran it on a 20" on/20" off...
  18. Baumgrenze

Bathroom Sink - Popup - No Through Pivot Rod

Does anyone still make a bathroom sink popup that does not use a pivot rod that must be withdrawn to allow thorough cleaning of the drain line? The 1929 built house of my childhood used an American Standard design with a sleeve that was raised to the open position and rotated slightly so that...
  19. Baumgrenze

Grundfos Timer Driven Hot Water Recirculation Pump - Name the Parts?

I have a Grundfos 96433899 1/33 horsepower UP10 Comfort Series recirculating pump, P/N 96433895 UP10 16B5/TLC circulating hot water from the water heater utility area to a remote bathroom using a dedicated return line. It stopped a few days before Christmas, so I unplugged it to protect it...
  20. Baumgrenze

Underslab Natural Gas Service in the 1950's?

There is a 2009-2010 thread that discusses buried natural gas lines. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/burried-natural-gas-pipe.31160/ I don't believe it directly address my concern, outlined below. The post has also lain dormant for over 5 years. After WWII, during the post-war...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks