Search results

1. MikeyVon

water heater distance from wall ?

I will be installing my water heater this week and need to know how far off the wall I can place the water heater. I have some radiant lines that I would like to run behind the water heater and I also need to get the venting in the joist bay. I would like to place the water heater around...
  2. MikeyVon

Heat Exchanger and pump sizing

I am using flat panel radiators to heat my new home. I am trying to size my heat exchanger and pumps to run off of my water heater (Smith Vertex 76K BTU). My total heating load is 36K BTU per hour. I am using Veha radiators. There are 9 radiators on 8 zones (2 will be in series in the...
  3. MikeyVon

is 36 lbs pf pressure enough?

So, I just got my water turned on and threw on a pressure gauge right by the house. I got 36 lbs of pressure. I was hoping for more but expecting less. I am on our towns water system, using 1" pvc through a 1" meter. I have a 450' run with about 125 vertical foot climb. Is 36 lbs enough...
  4. MikeyVon

PEX -> shower valve terminations

So I am finishing up my rough-in plumbing and need some direction on the best way to finish up at the shower valves and hose bibs. I am running 3/4" wirsbo pex to both fixture types. I was planning on going pex to copper and then copper into the fixtures. The shower valves have male and...
  5. MikeyVon

flat panel radiators - mechanicals?

I plan on using flat panel radiators for my new home. I was originally going to do underfloor radiant and I have a decent understanding of the zone mainfolds, flow pumps, controls, ect. for underfloor. I am assuming that with panel radiators with thermostatic valves the mechanicals are...
  6. MikeyVon

AO Smith Vertex

Does anyone have experience with the AO Smith Vertex water heater? My plumbing supply house only carries AO Smith and I am trying to decide between the Vertex and a standard powervent unit. There is about a $450 diffence with the Vertex being around $1450. I will be using it for my DHW and...
  7. MikeyVon

California code questions - water heaters

I have some quick questions regarding CA code. This is for new construction. I have an at grade basement (walkout) and I would like to put my water heater there. It will be either a direct vent or power vent. There is no problem with this correct? We use wood heat as our primary heat...
  8. MikeyVon

PEX sizing

I am planning my supply runs and I have heard differing accounts on what size pex to run. I have 1" copper coming into the house from a 1" meter. I am unsure of what kind of pressure to expect. The meter is around 500' away with about 150' elevation rise to the house. I was planning on...
  9. MikeyVon

venting a water heater through a wall???

Building a new house and trying to figure out my hot water. I have thought about tankless (and I still am), but I think I would much rather go with a regular tanked unit. It is me and my wife with 2 little ones. The house will have 1 shower, 1 soaker bath, 1 bath/shower combo, 3 lavs, 1 utility...
  10. MikeyVon

need radiant help

So, even though I am super busy trying to beat winter and get a roof up, I know I have to be ready to get my heating system in place soon. We are planning on using underfloor radiant heat with Al plates. We want to use a Munchkin Contender Boiler (or something similar) and have indirect tank...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks