Search results

1. Taylor

Pulling wires in a wall

I believe the rule is max 2 wires per hole when pulling through a stud wall. Can I mix 12g and 8g wires in the holes? The holes for the latter are big, more than 2", and I'd rather just pull an extra wire through those than drilling yet more holes in this wall that carries all the conductors...
  2. Taylor

Fittings for gas pipes got veneer of rust during pressure test

Installed new black pipe for gas. Plumber will hook it up to meter and appliances. Pumped it up to 15psi for pressure test. Was fairly shocked a few hours later to see a veneer of corrosion on the fittings, like they had been there for years. There is a slow leak that I need to find...
  3. Taylor

Toilet in a laundry room

Putting a basement laundry room back together after it was torn apart for structural reinforcement. There was a toilet in a little cubicle in the corner, very cramped. The inspector informs me that I must enclose a new toilet in another cubicle as I put things back together, you cannot have a...
  4. Taylor

50A receptacle on 40A circuit okay?

Ok to put 50A receptacle on a 40A circuit, #8 wire? My understanding is that NEC allows derating of 50A range on the belief that normally one will not have all rings and ovens going at once. And #6 wire is a PITA hooking up to a receptacle in a junction box.....
  5. Taylor

leveling a tub

When is a tub "level enough"? I have a floor that's out of level by 1/8" along the length of the tub, sloping away from the faucet end. Is it necessary to level the tub? It's a CI tub, sits on four legs with an apron. The apron is going to make leveling "interesting." Appreciate any advice.
  6. Taylor

Installing outside light

Appreciate some guidance on installing a light outside. Had an exterior light with raceway on the siding, want to get rid of the raceway. If I replace with an exterior box, my understanding is I will need a box on the inside connected with a short piece of conduit. However that will require...
  7. Taylor

Sounds in drain pipes...tell me I've overthinking this

Replaced drain pipes in basement last year, now covered in concrete. Had a lot of rain recently, and heard distinct sound of water trickling come up from waste pipes. Are there alternative explanations than that water is leaking into waste pipes? We have French drains (internal) and one hears...
  8. Taylor

Mixing 12AWT and 14AWT wire

Electrician tells me that you cannot mix 12AWT and 14AWT wires on the same circuit, according to code. I have run 12AWT on 15A circuit to avoid voltage, with 14AWT to individual light fixtures. I have also run 14AWT to light fixtures from receptacles on 20A circuit. Do I have to upgrade...
  9. Taylor

Basic copper pipe repair sleeve questions

I've removed 3" piece of water pipe from my main hot water line [Hint: do not try to do a "small job" last thing on a Sunday night.], and now need to repair the pipe. Which of these options are better: 1. Two repair couplings on a 3" piece of replacement pipe 2. Use a 12" repair sleeve...
  10. Taylor

What would magnetize a receptacle?

Removed a box from a circuit yesterday. Today, the circuit breaker blows every time the microwave (on the circuit) is turned on. Has worked fine beforehand. In switching the microwave over to another circuit, noticed that the receptacle for the microwave appears to be magnetized. Is this a...
  11. Taylor

PVC pipe in concrete

I think this is okay to do, but asking just in case..... Recently had plumbers remove a CI pipe from under a load-bearing support (no footing) in basement.....I could never have done what they did, and I'm still having difficulty sleeping thinking about it.....I am thinking of filling in the...
  12. Taylor

Advice on replacing clay waste line

Can't get plumbers to call back with estimates, and I need to get concrete down soon to give it time to cure while I'm on hoiiday. So I'm on to the next project, replacing clay waste line (which started out as: move drain lines in basement to make room for footings for new beam). I'd...
  13. Taylor

Water heater question

Should a hot water faucet still produce cold water if the water heater's pilot light is not lit? I would imagine the light just affects the temperature of the water, and pressure from the water line drives the water? I am getting no water from hot water faucet, though it does come from cold...
  14. Taylor

1/2" meter for 3/4" water line

Does it make sense to have a 1/2" meter (with 1/2" meter couplings) for a house that has 3/4" internal water line? Seems like a lot of pressure would be lost through friction, a waste of energy.
  15. Taylor

Mapp gas question

If I am soldering with Mapp gas and the torch has started making a loud hissing noise (almost like a screeching) and periodically blossoms into an orange flame plume, should I: 1. replace the tank or 2. replace the torch? Will be doing a lot of soldering tomorrow, would appreciate any...
  16. Taylor

Protecting cabinets from leaking valves

My kitchen cabinet under the sink has been pretty well ruined by a slow leak of a fixture shutoff. Since I'm replacing water lines, I have the opportunity to think about how to avoid this next time. I think I can cover the damage by screwing plywood into the inside of the cabinet, but I'd...
  17. Taylor

Laundry valve and wall box

Curious what recommendations plumbers have for their clients for a laundry valve for the washing machine. Reading Peter Hemp's book, he doesn't like the plastic wall box (they break easily) and he doesn't like the one-switch shut-off (hard to replace when the o-rings wear out). I'm considering...
  18. Taylor

Advice on wiring external lighting

I would like to remove POS conduit on the side of my house feeding external lights. I can run wire through fire-blocking in stud wall and out through the siding. The question is, assuming I use lampholders rated for wet-damp locations, what options do I have for a junction box? One option...
  19. Taylor

Connecting low-voltage conduit to electrical boxes

I'm rewiring old BX to MC, and adding cat5e in the walls. For aesthetic reasons I'd like to combine high and low voltage in receptacle boxes. I'd like to use conduit and enclosed boxes on outside (to be insulated) walls so I can rewire the cat5e some day if necessary. Carlon makes a box...
  20. Taylor

More plumbing archaeology questions

I am in the process of finding out where the main waste line is in the basement slab of my 80 yo house. It is clay and needs to be replaced. I am going through layers of asbestos tiles and 2" concrete slab bit by bit.... ....when I come across some kind of shallow arch just below the slab...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks