Search results

1. Zimmee66

Old School Radiators

Better place for you to get an answer Hi Litemine-- If I were you I'd hop over to heatinghelp.com and ask your question on "the wall". Those guys are boiler and radiation maniacs, very technical and old school but also quite helpful and friendly--not a smart aleck among em. I've seen a fair...
  2. Zimmee66

how can I get snake past this T?

I thought of that, but unfortunately thats not a good option. Coming down from the roof the vent immediately hits an ELL and then goes hroizontal about 3 feet before another ELL, and only then down into the riser and tee. Worse, the horizontal run is behind a wall too. So unscrewing vent ells...
  3. Zimmee66

how can I get snake past this T?

Hi all! I have a *vintage* kitchen drain thats clogged. I know exactly where the clog is and I also know that the main riser needs replacing, but I cant quite afford that now so I want to try snaking it. the problem is I can't get at the clog through the p-trap because it is a few inches...
  4. Zimmee66

vitromex toilet

No es muy bueno...(taint very good) Well, I've exhausted my highschool spanish now... Anyways, I cant tell you much about the particular model you have. I know they had some kind of alliance with FlushMate. I can also tell you that I looked after an apartment building that had several of...
  5. Zimmee66

Gas suspended garage heater, how does it work?

Around the midwest....we call em modines we seem to call them modines.... Funny how generic brandnames reflect whoever grabbed the market first.
  6. Zimmee66

Still struggling with XH cast iron banded coupler-help?!

Hi all I posted last week about replacing a 2 inch cast iron riser section with PVC. Good advice was given about cutting etc, thanks! I've ruled-out taking it down into the floor for several reasons (though I know its the best answer). Anyhow--The pipe cut quite cleanly (with a grinder) but...
  7. Zimmee66

"real-world" vintage cast iron pipe cutting?

into the floor--yikes! jadnashua and Rugged---thanks. I know this is a bad deal because our area plumber isnt interested in doing the job. rugged... I hadnt really thought of going into the floor. I did it once years ago but it is a hell of a job. If you're down that far, how do you...
  8. Zimmee66

"real-world" vintage cast iron pipe cutting?

Hi all! Looking for tips and cautions about cutting an 80 year old cast iron riser. I've cut lead risers before (easy!) but have not cut cast iron. See pics for details. Riser is 2 inch XH pipe. My questions are: 1) Will an *ordinary (rental)* pipe breaker cut XH-type cast iron or is there...
  9. Zimmee66

Crud in toilet

re: removing crud (Take this as non-pro advice...) I would assume the crud you are talking about is just lime minerals or possibly urine salts. I have had good results with using plain old distilled white vinegar (the kind you buy cheap at the grocery store in gallons) to disolve stuff...
  10. Zimmee66

Is this sink trap a hazard or illegal?

Hi all! Question about "real-world plumbing" here... I have a 1920s house with the usual mishmash of plumbing. Ive attached a picture of my kitchen sink trap, and I'm wondering if it is illegal or a hazard or perhaps just crummy. It is fairly slow to drain and I need to clean the...
  11. Zimmee66

New boiler

had the pump reversed? Holey moley... I know this opinion wasn't requested, but... I'd keep a eye on that system for other problems...pumps are clearly marked for flow direction, and having it reversed should have been an incredibly obvious problem--without looking at the manual. I know...
  12. Zimmee66

Cheviot Toilets - Ever heard of 'em?

re: Cheviot toilets Apartment caretaker/homeowner opinion here, take it for what its worth! Cheviot is Canadian, and we seem to see a few here in the northern US? We have a supplier in our area, but they are definately an 'off" brand. The couple we have in our building are fine. That pretty...
  13. Zimmee66

damaging new equipment???

Well, not necessarily--Adaware shows up as the first hit on google and Spybots official site is too. Trendmicro is of course a direct link. Your point is well taken though--for an inexperienced user it is best to start with a reputable SW site. Or, I should have typed URLS for the apps.
  14. Zimmee66

damaging new equipment???

No worries... your new MFC should be fine. no damage. But I'm willing to bet you'll have trouble installling supporting software and print drivers. Save yourself grief and clean your PC *before* you install anything that comes iwth the printer. For a free, thorough, legit virus online scan...
  15. Zimmee66

Painting melamine surfaces with Glidden gripper

Seriously consider a trip to a pro paint shop... I'm not a big fan of Glidden gripper, I'm guessing you bought it at Home Depot or the like. That said, it WILL do the job, but spend as much as you dare on your topcoat then. Latex Enamel will work fine but you need a paint with lots of solids...
  16. Zimmee66

wierd hole found in basement??

could it be an old strm drain leader connection? Without a picture I'm totally guessing here...but since your seeing no change in water levels with sewer use I wonder if it isnt a storm drain leader connection or sump. As you may know, in the old days (roof) gutter leaders went straight into...
  17. Zimmee66

copper pipe straps

I actually got dinged for this Our local inspector actually said steel was unnaceptable. ut when I pointed out that other previously hung pipe used steel screws, he said he'd "let it pass". I think he was just trying to set a tone with a homeowner (me) to watch it.
  18. Zimmee66

Panasonic Whisper Warm?

re: panasonic whispr warm I installed a whisperfit and I would never go back to a broan. For one thing, people are tempted to turn off loud fans prematurely and so they dont vent the moisture fully.
  19. Zimmee66

painting with primer

In short, although others may have convinced you already--DONT use primer as a finish coat. Primer is formulated for good adherence. IF you used a primer-SEALER then it would be more acceptable. Paint boundries are blurring, in the old (oil) days primer was often just finish paint thinned...
  20. Zimmee66

Dual head video cards?

re: dual head video I've been "dual-monitoring" since about 1988 and actually feel sort of lost and uncomfortable with a single screen. Giant monitors are nifty but expensive, often have color issues, and are a single (pricey) point of failure, I find two monitors around 19-20" the ideal...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks