Search results

1. Waltman

Silicone or Putty??

Nevermind! Found the problem: Where the drain bowl meets the horiz drain pipe is a FACTORY joint - LEAKS, grrrrr... It's going back and I'm selecting a different brand. There's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back...
  2. Waltman

Silicone or Putty??

What am I doing wrong?? Using the STA-Put Ultra (stainless) to hook up a FG/Acrylic tub & drain. Can't seem to get the drain spud to seal at the tub flange. Been through this 3 times now with varying amounts of STA-Put. Admittedly, I applied too much putty on my first attempt :rolleyes: On...
  3. Waltman

Silicone or Putty??

Thanks all. Mark, I like the idea of forgiveness, putty it is...
  4. Waltman

Silicone or Putty??

When mounting the drain to a whirlpool tub, is it best to use Silicone Sealant(GE II Kitchen and Bath) or straight up plumber's putty? Or does it not much matter at all??
  5. Waltman

Valves & Fixtures

Not taking the bait Gary!! LOL...thanks for the input everyone!
  6. Waltman

Valves & Fixtures

OK, I wasn't too clear. I was more interested in the TYPE of valves (inside the wall stuff) moreso than the BRAND of fixtures. Just thought I'd go for a two-fer in one post and NEITHER request for info came out the right way. Please accept my apologies for my naivete and lack of clarity...
  7. Waltman

Valves & Fixtures

Getting ready to order valves and fixtures for the MB remodel. Space contains a dedicated jet tub and a dedicated shower stall into which we'd like to install a separate wall-mounted hand sprayer. We don't like the kind that divert off the shower head. We both want something that has a better...
  8. Waltman

Mortar bed for whirlpool

2 quick follow-up questions: Should I also place the 6mil plastic under the tub, as well as, under the mortar (this would encapsulated the mortar completely)? Should I place a full bed of mortar under the bottom of the tub completely, in addition to the support rails?
  9. Waltman

Mortar bed for whirlpool

How thick should I make the mortar under the support rails for a 6x3 whirlpool? Will I still need leveling stringers if using mortar? Which mortar should I use? I understand concrete and thinset are not acceptable. My thinking is to sit the tub on (2) 4x4's, pour the mortar bed, then lower...
  10. Waltman

Brass/ABS connection

***update*** OK, it's been awhile so I'll give an update and ask my question(s)... Tear out is done. Plumbing & electrical done. New tub drain old plumbing supplies/drains capped 2 recessed lights 1 bath fan 30 amp dedicated electric supply to whirlpool Rough-in...
  11. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

French. Only other way I can see is, if you build up the floor enough to run the new pipe completely above the old floor. I was thinking I could raise the tub about 1.5 - 2" on sleeper studs then notch as necessary thru the joists. I think a build-up is inevitable at this point. Out of...
  12. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

Pictures::: :) For reference, post #15 shows "the Plan"... First Pic: Overview of existing shower drain (left side) and proposed new tub drain (right side) Note:: Vertical stack in rear is NOT vent, it's a passive radon stack. Second Pic: Shows proposed new tub drain less than 3' from...
  13. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

with PICTURES Let's try this
  14. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

New, hopefully larger image for those vision impaired :) DIDN'T WORK!! Frenchie - My existing tub drain is already <2" from the underside of the subfloor :-( To extend another 6' I'll still need to bump it up another 1.5" hence the need to still build up the floor.... Now, to connect to...
  15. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

Joists are 2x10 dimensional lumber...no engineered joists. If need be, I'll raise the tub 1.5" by placing 2x4 or 2x6 dimensional on their sides as sleepers. And it's totally cool to use the wye, or long sweep wye to tie into an existing drain on the HORIZONTAL run??? I assume the wye needs...
  16. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

Patrick, Thanks!!! I'm having trouble visualizing. Please help me a bit more. Also, I would be using a SANITARY TEE, not a VENT TEE...correct??? Even if the shower drain I'm tying into is 4' away, I may still need to vent? Slope of 1/4 is assumed too, correct?
  17. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

Here's a pic of the job. Now, we're all on the same page :) The tub will need to be 'flipped' so that drain is on left hand side. This needs to be done in order to meet mfr spec for service access to pump & plumbing. THANKS AGAIN ALL!!!
  18. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

AHA!!! Another option I MAY have is to tie into the existing 2" shower drain. This drain is less than 4' from where the new tub drain needs to be. Now...is this a no-no??? Is there such a thing as a 2" TO 1.5" ABS tee. This would be with the 2" running strainght thru, with the 1.5...
  19. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

The chase option is out of the question as this bathroom sits atop the dining room. A soffit in this location would be unsightly. The 1.5" slope difference is going to be an issue as the existing drain exits thru the joist appx. 1.5" from the top already.... ACK!!! What "other" changes do...
  20. Waltman

Moving a tub drain

I need to move my existing tub drain to the other side of the alcove to accommodate my new tub...long story. Drain is 1.5" ABS, need to run 6', thru about 4 joists (2x10). Not the least bit interested in notching the joists... How do I tie this into the existing? (45*, 90* ??). I am assuming...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks