Search results

1. McG

adding a circulator pump to a single zone system

I've never used scoop tees, but I am wondering if they have an orientation that you may have reversed, resulting in the no-flow conditon you're experiencing.
  2. McG

adding a circulator pump to a single zone system

If the kickspace heater is on the return pipe coming off of the 3' of fin tube (in the same bathroom) - I can't see how the kickspace heater could contribute anything more than the residual heat not expressed by the fin tube which would not be considerable. A circulator on the 3/4" loop feeding...
  3. McG

Changing the Oil Filter- should be easy, but it's not...

I see in the Westwood catalog they sell an item they call the F 100-18, "Spin-on filter wrench. Fits all popular filters." It looks like your basic strap wrench. They illustrate it strapped around the very base of the can. I wonder if our service tech has one. This is the most relevant...
  4. McG

re-post: mod please delete

I cannot delete this. Sorry.
  5. McG

Changing the Oil Filter- should be easy, but it's not...

The filter holder is a Westwood f 100 8 spin-on can, gravity fed type. There is a Gar-Ber brand filter element (screw on can) on it. To change it out I got the Westwood f 100 10 fuel filter element. That is the only one our Home Depot stocked and the floor man told me it was "the one" for...
  6. McG

Bismuth solder

Anybody ever use bismuth solder ? From Wikipedia's article on Soldering: "Other common solders include low-temperature formulations (often containing bismuth), which are often used to join previously-soldered assemblies without un-soldering earlier connections, and high-temperature...
  7. McG

How to refill a single zone, oil fired hot water boiler for baseboard radiant heat

Thanks Jim. I'll do that. I guess I can pump up the expansion tank with a bicycle pump if need be. So with the water turned off and the valve open and at least one other valve I should get "the normal design pressure" which I assume is between fourteen and sixteen psi?
  8. McG

How to refill a single zone, oil fired hot water boiler for baseboard radiant heat

Tom, Thanks! The labels help a lot! Couple of questions: If I follow your instructions, the water will not flow through the boiler chamber itself but only through the baseboards, is that right? This will purge the air and clean the debris that might be in the pipes. I can keep running the...
  9. McG

Thanks, it has a coat of fire retardant paint on it. The installer said their special paint sold only by foam distributors, satisfied fire codes. Drywall or plywood would be more attractive and an additional fire retardant, definitely.
  10. McG

Thanks. Is the "autofill" the cold water supply, that here enters the system above the expansion tank and below the spirovent? What is the autofill's operational position? Half open, closed, or open? When I was draining down the system, I heard what sounded like the expansion tank filling...
  11. McG

Please help me understand this system and how to get it up and running again. I had to lower a pipe, so I drained down the system (don't know if I did this properly) cut the pipe and lowered it. Now I need to get the boiler running again. I think I need to flush the pipes first to remove...
  12. McG

Annual boiler cleaning - how can I do it myself?

I'm sure a trained furnace tech is capable of doing a quicker and more thorough job than me. But I have a vested interest in doing a good and thorough job. I also like to be as self sufficient as possible. Yesterday I asked the oil delivery man the going rate for a furnace cleaning. It's...
  13. McG

"Superstore" 40 gal hot water tank discharging through overflow - why?

Here's the replaced T&P valve on the water heater. I believe it is right side down and installed correctly. It has been in for over a week and no discharge. Interestingly, I had to get it at a plumbing supply house because the big box stores did not carry the eight inch thermometer T&P only...
  14. McG

...and the "flo control"...which does I don't know what
  15. McG

Reply to Jim and Red with pictures. I am slowly beginning to know my way around this system but it is all new to me. The air purge mechanism appears to be missing from the boiler. Unless the "flow control" is for air purging... it is inline with the green boiler expansion tank mounted...
  16. McG

You don't think the expansion tank is enough, Red? There is no pressure reducing valve on the water main either after the city meter or after the Superstor cold water inlet shutoff valve.
  17. McG

Where in the system would I install a pressure reducing valve, Red? Is the high supply pressure causing the discharge at the T&P valve? I have finally read some of the literature from the manufacturer of the Superstor Ultra (not Delta as I've been calling it) Indirect WH. EXPANSION TANK "A...
  18. McG

Jim, the Watts Det-5 expansion tank is for the Superstore Delta 40 gallon indirect water heater. The old barrel expansion tank is for the boiler. I assume the water in the WH that is spilling out of the Superstore T&P valve will now back up into the expansion tank even though the Det-5 is...
  19. McG

Annual boiler cleaning - how can I do it myself?

We've been paying $90 year to have our boiler cleaned. I'd like to do it myself and save the service charge. What do I need to know? We have oil heat with forced hot water off a Weil-McClain Gold boiler and a Superstore Ultra indirect water heater.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks