Search results

1. tom-rad

kitchen sink drain/strainer, no paper gasket?

I bought an Elkay stainless steel drain and it doesn't come with a paper gasket, just a thin rubber one. Is that all I'll need (besides plumber's putty)? Guess they don't think the paper gasket is needed. Thanks!
  2. tom-rad

Proflo caulk any good?

Got a tube of Proflo plumber's siliconized latex caulk from a plumber. Is this good stuff? Sealing around tub where it meets tile. Or should I buy my usual (Ace Hardware brand siliconized latex caulk). Thanks! Edit: I just looked at the label, apparently a house brand of Ferguson. I just was...
  3. tom-rad

Kitchen sink basket drain types

My old sink drain is a cheap plastic one, which has the nut tightened right up to the sink bottom. I bought a new Elkay which has a metal 'pressure cup'. Any advantage of one type over the other? Or opinions on these? Thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving!
  4. tom-rad

Delta 600 shower escutcheon - gasket

Does anyone know if the white foam seals, or gaskets, for this trim piece are available separately, or will I need to replace the escutcheon? Mine is aout 40 years old but looks almost new except for the foam. Thanks. Also, if I have to replace it, do they make just two depths? Mine looks...
  5. tom-rad

Not sure where to put this question - how tight?

Here's what I ended up doing.....turned the new hose bib by hand until I couldn't turn it any more, then about 1/4 turn more with wrench to put it in the right position. I can still see maybe one and a half or two threads, so it's not bottomed out. Used Teflon tape and pipe dope. Only concern...
  6. tom-rad

Not sure where to put this question - how tight?

I wasn't sure if this would go with my washing machine valve question or not....but...... Installing the new valve, 1/2", NPT, used both Teflon tape and Oatey Great White. I hand tightened it, but thought I went too far. Didn't need a wrench. Going to clean it up and try again. My question is...
  7. tom-rad

Proper way to assemble brass fittings

Thanks. Have Teflon tape and just bought a bottle of Oatey Great White. Going to try both. Also, found a nice BK Mueller Quarter turn valve. I appreciate the advice, thanks to all.
  8. tom-rad

Best washing machine shutoffs?

Do I need a specific valve for hot water? Looking at a BK 103-053HN quarter turn. Looks nice, Teflon ball valve.
  9. tom-rad

Proper way to assemble brass fittings

This sort of answers my NPT question....:D. Bear with me, I don't know enough to be a plumber but do know enough to be paranoid about water leaks. I am replacing a 1/2" npt hose bibb for my washer. It threads into a brass drop ear 90 elbow. I wrapped with one wrap of teflon (not enough I guess)...
  10. tom-rad

Thanks, but what I have is older work, need to use separate hot and cold. Don't want to replace pipe, just the one valve. No box, this has fittings mounted to a piece of wood on the basement wall, and the fittings are not next to each other. The hot is lower. I wondered if I can use this...
  11. tom-rad

I just tried to fix an old washing machine fill valve (gate valve) with leak at the packing - didn't work out. Two questions - one, I bought a hose bib from Lowe's (American Valve #14087). The angle of the hose connection is closer to 45 degree, more straight than downward like the old one. Is...
  12. tom-rad

American Standard 2 knob faucet cartridge - tightening - valve open or closed?

Yes, works fine. I wasn't sure how critical the stuff is, since it's brass (for example, would 1/2 turn actually fracture the brass and make it fail?) Or, does excess tightening cram the seat too close together so it won't work? The manufacturer, of course, doesn't go into detail as to why they...
  13. tom-rad

One more question....the instructions print (in bold): DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. I greased the thing (with plumber's grease), tightened as tight as I could with my fingers, then approx. 1/4 turn with wrench. Maybe slightly more than 1/4 turn, but not much. Is that typical? Approximate turn ok? I just...
  14. tom-rad

Replacing an American Standard cartridge with new Brass Craft replacement stem ST0332X. Instructions say hand tighten then 1/4 turn with wrench. But, would this be valve open or closed (with rubber seal compressed as if water was on (or valve open), or relaxed (as if the knob were off)? Thanks...
  15. tom-rad

potential relay

thanks for the reply Yes, identical relay, same part number. Same symptoms with both old and new relay. Don't have a clamp-on ammeter right now, but considering the drop of about 6v under load, I believe the compressor is ok electrically. Weather has been mild, but over the weekend it's...
  16. tom-rad

potential relay

update - checked compressor windings Ok, I've narrowed this down a bit - as a matter of fact, I believe the trouble isn't electrical. I checked the compressor windings and the dc resistance is right where it should be, and with no shorts. Symptom: The compressor runs about 15 seconds before I...
  17. tom-rad

potential relay

Thanks Don, the 25uf GE Genteq run cap is identical to the original, same part number also. I'm going to check the run winding tomorrow, got too late to work on it today. The new cap doesn't seem to get hot, but the unit shuts down pretty quick. Thanks again. Will post results if I ever get...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks