Search results

1. Seth

Replace lead bend tub drain pipe?

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I believe there is a trap at the drain end of the tub. There is some evidence of water damage/rot at the side of the tub where the shower curtain meets (or is supposed to meet) the end, tiled wall, and some water damage/rot around the toilet. So, I do suspect one or...
  2. Seth

Replace lead bend tub drain pipe?

I am remodeling an old bathroom (in a 100 yr. old house; not sure of the age of the plumbing in question). The tub is a corner tub, made of cast iron. I plan to keep it. I have pulled up the flooring all around the tub. The drain pipe from the tub is a lead bend. From the bathtub drain it...
  3. Seth

Keep or replace old threaded supply piping?

With thanks to some of you in the Remodel Forum I removed all of the tiles and wet bed on the two walls of a shower curtain enclosed tub in a second floor bathroom in my 100 to 110 year old house. This exposed the hot and cold supply piping that provides hot and cold water to the tub (through...
  4. Seth

Thickset (mudset) tile removal

I don't doubt you for a moment. I have worked on rooms (plaster crack repair) where the base was thin, weak, laid on poorly attached old wood lath, and inclined toward crumbling if irritated, let alone subjected to vibration resulting from a sledge hitting structural members. Just like...
  5. Seth

Well, after considering all of the good advice and options presented in your messages, I went at it the old fashioned way -- manually. Four pound hammer, 1 3/4 inch mason's chisel, and wonder bar. Plywood over the tub. Started with the larger side wall. First chiseled out the column of...
  6. Seth

Excellent information, from all of you. Thank you. Here is a post from another forum (not to be a traitor to this fine one!). It suggests using an electric chipping hammer rather than a mason's (hand tool) chipping hammer, and attacking the beast first horizontally to find the "joints"...
  7. Seth

I haven't started the demo work yet (still working on paint removal elsewhere in the room), but am gearing up. What experience has anyone had with using a circular saw with a metal cut off wheel to cut through the wet bed and metal lath? I realize that the dust might be substantial, and I know...
  8. Seth

I may soon learn why I am a "Junior Member" and you guys are "Senior Members"! If you are correct about how this is going to proceed, I will either wind up with a damaged plaster wall (because damage was unavoidable), or will find myself spending so much time trying to remove the mud wall...
  9. Seth

I'm already liking this forum. I could never have conversations like this with family members, who just roll their eyes when having to listen to detail about restoration issues. Not to mention that they are not equipped to offer any useful advise. The background is that the house is about...
  10. Seth

Thanks for the replies. Tom, your assumption is correct -- the tile in question does not run all the way to the ceiling. The room has a ten foot ceiling, and there is about three feet of plaster (on metal lath) above the top of the tiled area. It is in very good shape, and it seems to me that...
  11. Seth

Rick A. -- I am about to tackle the same job. Your suggest approach sounds like a good one. One question: You suggest starting up high and digging in with a chisel to get started. I take it that the "digging in" follows removal of the ceramic tiles, at least where they sit in front of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks