Search results

1. L

Ground Leak?

Thanks for everyone's help on this. In answer to BrianJohn's questions: 1. At the panel I have 120 Volts from L1 to ground/neutral and 120 from L2 to ground/neutral. Also I have 120 from the circuit breaker for the problem circuit to the ground/neutral. I can't actually see if the same...
  2. L

Ground Leak?

Jadnashua -- thanks for the good definition of open or floating. Now another question. How could a floating or open neutral result in the condition I'm seeing? I would expect a floating or open neutral to result in lower or zero potential between hot and neutral -- but I'm seeing full voltage...
  3. L

Ground Leak?

Thanks for all the responses. But could someone explain what is meant my an "open grouond". Or an "open neutral." Regarding the suggestion to measure from the service panel (implying a system wide problem) -- I've checked the other circuits in the house from the other outlets and there is...
  4. L

Ground Leak?

Bob, I tried plugging in an incandescent light as you suggested, but saw no difference in measurements, no dimming of the light or anything. Although I don't know what I should have been looking for. Can you explain what you mean by open neutral? I could add that I've already tried...
  5. L

Electrical Advice?

Silly me. I didn't notice the electrical forum. Thanks for pointing it out.
  6. L

Ground Leak?

I have a strange problem in 4 outlets in one room of my house. It seems that the potential between hot and neutral is correct (about 118 volts). But when I test hot to ground I measure about 73 volts and neutral to ground is about 45 volts -- adding up to about the same total of 118. Seems...
  7. L

Electrical Advice?

Does anyone know of an advice forum for DIY electrical work? It would be nice if there was something even half as useful as this forum is for DIY plumbing!
  8. L

Screws Instead of T-Bolts: Is it Safe?

I am replacing a toilet and found that the flange is installed so that the slots for the T-bolts cannot be used -- the flange is rotated 90 degress so that the slots for the T-bolts are in the wrong place. Instead the toilet was fastened down with screws screwed through the round holds in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks