Search results

1. Earl001

WC venting alternatives

Thanks. I must have missed the flat vent reference the first time I scanned the photos. There it is on page 12: "flat vent can be used where additional vertical clearance is required". He shows both a shower and bathtub photo of a flat vent in use. The bathtub photo is hard to see but the...
  2. Earl001

DWV layout question for sunken tub

if I use the standard stack layout shown below, the vertical vent with san tee requires the use of a med 90 which brings the exit below my 3" main line (assuming I maintain a 0.25"/ft slope on it). The med 90 is not to scale in this diagram. In reality, I am only a couple of inches too low...
  3. Earl001

WC venting alternatives

Yes, all my horizontal vents are sloped so no water will collect. What I will do is add a cleanout to the horizontal vent line just in case it does clog. However, even if it were clogged, isn’t there a ‘trap primer’ on the toilet fill valve that will keep the trap filled and the gases out...
  4. Earl001

cwhy2, I'm still in the rough-in stage so there is no waterfall yet. Actually the tub isn't even in yet, I was working the 3" main line when I ran into the height problem this weekend. I'll try to post some photos when it's done or once the walls and shower areas are floated.
  5. Earl001

Here is a more accurate diagram of the solution I thought would be acceptable: To install the standard stack layout it appears that I'd have to a drill 1.5" (or larger) hole through the girder for a horizontal vent into the space between the joists. Doing that might allow enough room to...
  6. Earl001

Hi hj, thanks for responding. Although I could move the trap over, I don’t believe that would help. Perhaps I'm not understanding your thought. The real limitation is a girder holding the joists supporting the tub. The top of the 90 bend exiting the trap is touching the bottom of this...
  7. Earl001

WC venting alternatives

Great. Thank you so much Terry. Just so I can learn a little from this, it would be nice to know what "using waste fittings below the flood level of the fixture" means. Since I'd think the flood line for a toilet is at the rim wouldn't all fittings be below that? Or does this mean that...
  8. Earl001

DWV layout question (with figures) for sunken tub I'm hoping that by adding figures to show my situation it will be easier for folks to respond! Please, any comments are appreciated.
  9. Earl001

WC venting alternatives

Terry, Thank you. The tips are quite informative! However, all his photos show the vent traveling vertical or what looks like 45 deg then vertical. He does not say anything about a flat vent. Perhaps the diagram below may help explain my dilemma. Due to space limitations I must run the...
  10. Earl001

WC venting alternatives

Tried a more difficult post in the general forum with no luck (https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?41681-DWV-layout-question-for-sunken-tub). So I’ll try here with the second part of my venting question. Which of the following venting layouts for a WC is permitted/recommended...
  11. Earl001

DWV layout question (with figures) for sunken tub Hi everyone, I have an older single story home on a raised foundation. Over the past 10+ years I've been replacing the old steel piping in the crawlspace under the house with equivalent ABS runs following the same DWV layout that existed...
  12. Earl001

Copper pipe around corner

So do you cut a square notch on the edge of the two studs so that everything is exposed on the inside corner of the 90? Will the inspector allow that vs circular holes in the center of the studs? If so, I didn't understand that from the first post. That would certainly make everything a lot...
  13. Earl001

Hi jimbo, Thanks. Yes, normally I always do both sides at once. Perhaps I should digress to soldering method here. Is heating the pipe something I've been doing wrong all these years? I thought both the pipe and fitting had to be uniformly hot enough to melt the solder for a good joint. It...
  14. Earl001

Hi Terry, thanks. Do you mean to solder one side of the 90 on, let it cool, then clean/flux the other side and put into a hole large enough to fit the bend, with the cleaned/fluxed straight segment inserted afterward? No sure what you mean by "this case I put the heat right on the fittng."...
  15. Earl001

Hi. I've been sweating copper pipes for many years now with good success. Usually when I'm in a tight space such as near a stud and/or drywall I can just use a fireproof cloth to protect the wood and get the job done. Now for the first time I'd like to pipe between one wall and another with a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks