Search results

1. S

Auditorium too hot

Thanks for the ideas. How can I find an HVAC contractor who really knows how to figure these things out properly? The three I've dealt with so far just seem to do everything by the seat of their pants, even after I spend an hour explaining to them how I did a heat load analysis myself.
  2. S

Auditorium too hot

SUCCESS, sort of. We put in 2 exhaust fans (panasonic, 240 cfm, 1.5 Sones) and we lowered 2 out of the 3 supply vents down 2 feet into the room, as well as the return, so the AC unit is not working on the hottest air. I placed thermometer sensors on the ceiling and at audience level. At show...
  3. S

Auditorium too hot

bad news. found out our building has only 200 amps power available, which leaves nothing for a new 5-ton or even a smaller unit. For now we will have to try the exhaust fans. And lowering the vents of the AC so they are not having to push through that heat layer. Also the Letterman idea...
  4. S

Auditorium too hot

Here's a way to do a rough version of what French's Italian friends recommend (placing the air vents closer to the audience members). Of course, they weren't concerned with huge lights generating heat - a movie theater is DARK! but the theory is good. If such "lamp-level venting" works as in...
  5. S

Auditorium too hot

Wow, great info you guys. Thanks for the accurate human number, Bob. I got "2000 btu/person" off of Sylvane AC's website. Apparently they are very large people over there. But googling again found a site that elaborated: 2000, but over 2 people each additional should be figured at 600 btus...
  6. S

Auditorium too hot

Thanks both for the tips. I've done some figuring in my table below, which seems to indicate I'd need 15 tons just to compensate for all the humans and lights, plus the 4 tons for the basic job of cooling the building in the first place. 19 tons??? Can that be right?? It would be crazy to...
  7. S

Auditorium too hot

I run a small 60-seat theater-cafe building in Los Angeles (specs below). When we run the stage lights (say, twenty 500-watt instruments at a time) in the summer, we can’t keep our little auditorium from heating up to 80 or 85 degrees or more during shows. Audience members give up and leave...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks