Search results

1. Montalvo

Detecting waterline leak under sink

I'm a homeowner asking for help with a water leak that's already cost me $1,000 fixing a cabinet floor. The cold water line under my kitchen sink is leaking, slowly and intermittently. It happened spontaneously after 16 years with no problems. The leak is coming from somewhere between the...
  2. Montalvo

Toto toilet flapper problem

I've put two new flappers into my Toto toilet (Carollton model) to deal with an intermittent leakage from the tank to the bowl and still the problem continues. A call to Toto's customer support suggested that there might be smutz on the rim of the tank's drain hole so I scrubbed it with a...
  3. Montalvo

Two questions re: 75 gallon WH replacement

I have to replace a 10-year-old 75 gallon WH that's leaking and would like some "expert advice" on two things: 1. If I have relatively easy access to the heater, could installation be a DIY job for one person? I've replaced a 40 gallon WH before by myself but I have no idea how much a 75...
  4. Montalvo

Connecting a 1/4" tube to water supply???

I have a counter-mounted, filtered-water dispenser that's connected to my water supply with 1/4" plastic tubing. The tubing attached to a 1/2" water pipe with a plastic fitting that came with the dispenser. Recently, while changing the filter, I discovered that the fitting was leaking. When I...
  5. Montalvo

How do I repair a flush valve leak?

I've got a nine year old Toto Carrollton 1.6GPF toilet that suddenly started leaking from the bottom of the tank, where the water line connects to the flush valve. It appears that the seal at the bottom of the flush valve is bad. I removed the valve, sanded around the hole on the inside of the...
  6. Montalvo

Pilot-only operation of a water heater???

While my wife was away on a trip, I turned the water heater setting to "Pilot" to save gas, since I was the only one in the house, the summers have been hot and I enjoy cool showers. Much to my surprise, the water was PLENTY hot...from just the pilot! Granted, it wouldn't likely support...
  7. Montalvo

Relationship between setpoint and differential

Two years ago, with much help from this forum, I replaced a 100 gallon commercial HWH with an 80 gallon Phoenix NG modcon water heater from Heat Transfer Products. This unit heats water for one side of the house and services the radiant floor heating for the whole house (7K sq ft) here in No...
  8. Montalvo

Panic! House guests arrive tomorrow & wtr. htr./boiler is down!

I have an Ultra High Efficiency Phoenix model PH130-80 gas-fired water heater from Heat Transfer Products. It was installed in August 2007 and has been working well...until today. I discovered that it was not operating and displayed an error code "F09" (no flame detected). I reset the unit...
  9. Montalvo

Sweating over sweating...

I've sweated joints before and have read many of the recent posts on the subject but I still have some questions. 1. I'm aware of the problems created by having standing water in the pipes. Many years ago, I tried using bread to keep the water away from the fitting but it didn't work too...
  10. Montalvo

Air hose reel used as garden hose reel???

OK, this isn't necessarily a "plumbing" question but those of you who deal with water pressure and flow rates can probably tell me if this'll work. I'd like to have a heavy-duty, self-roll-up hose reel by the garage to wash my car. I found an AIR hose reel on sale at Harbor Freight and the...
  11. Montalvo

Temperature setting on new mod-con boiler/water heater

With help from contributors to this forum, I've had an HTP Phoenix mod-con boiler water heater installed but am now a bit confused about what settings make sense. The unit heats both DHW and a hydronic heating system. I've set the thermostat on the boiler to 130 degrees and the factory setting...
  12. Montalvo

BIG PROBLEM: Installer didn't read instructions!

On June 18, I asked this forum for some advice on replacing a water heater that provided DHW and radiant heat for my 7,100 square foot house. Based on the advice I got here plus a recommendation from a local installer, I had the installer put in a Phoenix gas-fired water heater/boiler from Heat...
  13. Montalvo

Best hot water solution for radiant floor plus domestic hot water?

I have a 100 gallon commercial water heater (A.O. Smith) in my home that serves my radiant floor heating system (7,100 sq. ft.) plus hot water for two guest bedrooms and our kitchen. The water heater is now leaking (after only five years but, of course, out of warranty) and the radiant heating...
  14. Montalvo

Source for "universal shower head"

I stayed at a hotel that had a shower head that I really liked and when we built our house, I bought a similar head for each of our showers at Home Depot for only $29.95. It was called a Universal Shower Head because it could be made higher or lower as well as swivel all directions. But the HD...
  15. Montalvo

Hot Water Fun and Games...a Puzzle.

OK, I'm not a plumber (just a fairly experienced homeowner) but this just seems weird to me. First, some background: I've got two shower heads in the master shower. A circulating pump comes on for 15 minutes, once an hour, to keep us from waiting two days for the water to heat up. The shower...
  16. Montalvo

Shower heads competing for hot water

We have a large shower in the master bath with his and hers shower heads. Because of our schedules, my wife and I find outselves frequently showering together. When I turn on my shower, her shower turns immediately cold (or at least cooler) while mine is getting plenty hot. Anybody know...
  17. Montalvo

Water Heater Leak???

I built a new house almost three years ago with a commercial 100 gallon water heater that supplies hot water and the radiant floor heating system. I noticed some bubbling of the paint on the housing of the water heater about three inches from the top of the tank, running down at a 45 degree...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks