Search results

1. Montalvo

Detecting waterline leak under sink

I'm no stranger to simple plumbing stuff but getting to the base of the faucet to either remove it or remove the supply flex isn't gonna be simple. I have a 10" deep sink and my angle wrench for undercounter work is only about 9 1/2". Sounds like it's time to call a plumber. Thanks so much to...
  2. Montalvo

Here's another photo that more precisely pinpoints the source of the leak.
  3. Montalvo

This photo was 2.6 Mb so we'll see if it's too big.
  4. Montalvo

I used strips of Kleenex and found the leak is above the nut at the bottom of the faucet's hose (i.e., the highest point). That nut is tightened against the adapter as tight as it can go and it still leaks. Is there a washer between the faucet hose nut and the adapter or does it sound like the...
  5. Montalvo

Sounds good. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  6. Montalvo

I'm a homeowner asking for help with a water leak that's already cost me $1,000 fixing a cabinet floor. The cold water line under my kitchen sink is leaking, slowly and intermittently. It happened spontaneously after 16 years with no problems. The leak is coming from somewhere between the...
  7. Montalvo

Toto toilet flapper problem

Clearly, college degrees are over-rated. If they were worth ANYTHING (let alone the exorbitant tuition charged these days), mine should've enabled me to quickly test/fix my flapper problem in the manner I just have. We have SEVEN (7) Toto toilets in my house (yep...one for every day of the...
  8. Montalvo

Well, I decided to double-check my claim that the flapper seals when I hand-set it over the tank drain. I shut off the water supply and found that the tank DID drain, even when the flapper appeared to be firmly (hand-set) in place. That suggests that perhaps Jim's other thought, a leak in the...
  9. Montalvo

Thank, Jim! Yes, Jim, it's a two-piece toilet but if it was the gasket, wouldn't it be CONSISTENTLY leaking? Also, pressing down on the flapper seems to remedy the problem...until the next flush. But I will check on the chain. The flapper didn't seem warped/distorted. I installed a new...
  10. Montalvo

I've put two new flappers into my Toto toilet (Carollton model) to deal with an intermittent leakage from the tank to the bowl and still the problem continues. A call to Toto's customer support suggested that there might be smutz on the rim of the tank's drain hole so I scrubbed it with a...
  11. Montalvo

Two questions re: 75 gallon WH replacement

My, my...sounds like there's no love lost on Sears, huh? Well, I took a chance and bought from Sears anyway, paying about $500 less and getting a twelve-year warranty rather than a six year warranty and TWO magnesium anodes. And their commitment to quickly perform the installation the day I...
  12. Montalvo

Connecting a 1/4" tube to water supply???

I've used this particular part for linking a drip irrigation line to a high-pressure lawn sprinkler system and have never experienced a problem. But I guess the pressure coming off that connection when the sprinklers are fully on would be less than the static pressure of my irrigation system...
  13. Montalvo

Jim, after getting assurances from the seller that the part shown in the link above would work for me, I found that it's simply a tube that doesn't create a water-tight seal with the 1/4" tubing. Instead, I bought a Rain-Drip irrigation part that has an FPT end and a self-sealing tube for 1/4"...
  14. Montalvo

Thanks, Jimbo... Thanks for taking the time to provide some additional info...very helpful for us homeowners who don't have a clue! I've got two other plumbers coming out soon to give me an estimate, since I've learned that it's ALWAYS helpful, not just to get a competitive price but also...
  15. Montalvo

Thanks for your frank opinion, Mark. I Googled Rheem and found a commercial 75 gallon WH, model 42VP75FW. The cheapest price was $435 MORE than the Sears one I described AND the one review relates a rather unflattering result: "Our new water heater is only 2 years old, and is leaking...
  16. Montalvo

OK, guys...will this work for me? I found another Terry Love thread that appeared to address what I'm looking for: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?28427-1-2-quot-Copper-to-1-4-quot-Plastic-Tubing From that thread, the fitting that looks like it will replace my broken part is found...
  17. Montalvo

hj, apparently my description of what I need wasn't very clear because I don't need any kind of VALVE. I need to replace the 1/2' FITTING that connects to the 1'2" nipple from the water supply, one that will accept a push-in plastic tubing insert from the filter. As I told Jim, if I can't...
  18. Montalvo

Jim, you describe what you called "the cleaner fix" and what I was hoping for was "the easier fix", i.e., finding a fitting virtually identical to the one that cracked and simply screwing it onto the 1/2" nipple protruding from my water supply, then pushing the 1/4" tubing into the hole...voila...
  19. Montalvo

Thanks for the prompt reply, Dana. I HAVE been working out and I AM probably as crazy as you when it comes to doing things myself. But hearing what this puppy weighs, I think I'll let the pros handle it. They'll pull a permit on it, cart the old one away and stand behind any problems that...
  20. Montalvo

I have to replace a 10-year-old 75 gallon WH that's leaking and would like some "expert advice" on two things: 1. If I have relatively easy access to the heater, could installation be a DIY job for one person? I've replaced a 40 gallon WH before by myself but I have no idea how much a 75...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks