Search results

1. darmstro

How many fixtures on a single 1.5" PVC drain pipe?

I have a basement laundry sink that is currently connected to a very old (probably galvanized) drain pipe that is buried beneath the basement floor. This pipe will not stay unclogged. There is another much newer (PVC) drain line that currently services the house's bathroom (both the...
  2. darmstro

Main water valve replacement

I am going to seek a second opinion from another experienced plumber. I think the first plumber is being straight-up honest (and the price doesn't seem unreasonable). Nonetheless, it's ALWAYS prudent to get a second opinion from another professional who can take a first-hand look at the...
  3. darmstro

The water pressure is very good, despite the age of the line.
  4. darmstro

I think this plumber is definitely playing it safe. . . and I'm not certain I wouldn't do the same if I were in his shoes.
  5. darmstro

In the City of Hammond, Indiana, the HO is responsible for the waterline from the meter to the B-Box.
  6. darmstro

O Great Plumbing Sages: The main water valve for my 100 year-old-house is leaking. It leaks from the top of the value around the stem. The valve is connected to galvanized pipe on both the street-side and meter-side of the valve (the valve is on the street-side of the meter). A local plumber...
  7. darmstro

Zoeller M-53 cycle "on" time

O' Great Plumbing Sages: I recently installed a new Zoeller M-53 pump based on positive comments that I found on this site. The pump works great and is not nearly as noisy as the old plastic pump that it replaced. My question: Is there a way to adjust the "on" time for this pump? When it...
  8. darmstro

Toilet Flange Extension

Yes, Redwood, I can access from the basement.
  9. darmstro

Toilet Flange Extension

O' Great Plumbing Sages: I'm about to install a new floor in my Mom's bathroom. Removing the old sheet vinyl will be near impossible, so we are going to install new underlayment and Durastone tile; this will raise the new floor about 1/2" above the top surface of the existing cast iron...
  10. darmstro

Rattling Water Heater

OK, once the heat trap ball bearing pops out, what do I do with it? Should it be replaced? What in the world is a "heat trap ball bearing"? Never heard of such a thing. Thanks!
  11. darmstro

Rattling Water Heater

Oh Great Plumbing Sages: My mom's water heater has developed a rattle. The rattle appears to be coming from the hot water outlet. Of course, it only makes this noise when water is flowing. The water heater is plumbed with galvanized pipe and there are two unions just above the hot water...
  12. darmstro

Sizing pipe for a new hose bib

O' Great Plumbing Sages: I'm about to install a new hose bib so that I don't have to drag a 75' hose around the yard anymore. The location for the new hose bib is about 25' from the nearest 3/4" cold water branch. This existing branch serves the kitchen sink, a bar sink, and an existing...
  13. darmstro

To flare or not to flare

I didn't think so . . . . thanks!
  14. darmstro

To flare or not to flare

O' Great Plumbing Sages: When installing new undersink shut-off valves on to new 1/2" copper pipe, does the end of the pipe need to be flared before the valves are installed???
  15. darmstro

Inserting a Tee into an existing copper line

O' Great Plumbing Sages: As am planning the routes for supply lines to my bar sink, I'm a bit cornfused about how to go about inserting a Tee into an existing supply line without having to undersolder joints that are east and west of where the Tee is to be inserted. Is it possible to insert...
  16. darmstro

Venting a Bar Sink

Thanks, Senior Members! I'll do the install and report back later on the results.
  17. darmstro

Venting a Bar Sink

As it makes its way out of the sewage sump, the vent is 1-1/2" for the first four feet then it becomes 2" for the balance of the run that I can see in the basement. After that it takes a turn upward into a first floor wall for the run towards the roof (and I believe becomes 3" in a 6" deep...
  18. darmstro

Venting a Bar Sink

I'm installing a bar sink in a remodel project. The bar sink will be located in the basement. I plan to drain the sink into a sealed pit that contains an ejector pump that empties into the sanitary line. The sealed pit is vented. My question is this: will my installation comply with...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks