Search results

1. NurseDoe

Reviving Old Irrigation System

Oh just shoot me. I uncovered the box and found wet root mass clinging to middle valves. Gawd knows how long it has been leaking. Will be spending forever untangling the blob of roots. Shite
  2. NurseDoe

Reviving Old Irrigation System

There was a huge lawn and lots of trees out back when I moved here 25 years ago. Everything was on wonderful automatic timers-the lawn, the trees etc. Drought happened so I let the lawn die many years ago. Now, I want to use that same system if possible to set up irrigation-likely drip for...
  3. NurseDoe

Plumbing problems are baaaaaack

The first picture is where the black pipe is leaking probably. I am not sure what kind of pipe it is. When the water company has come out in the past and saved us, they said that they have NO idea why that pipe is on private property. It is the pipe that they use. This seems to be why we have...
  4. NurseDoe

I would LOVE to replace it all. We had actually dug a trench last year hoping to do that. But water company said it was good. It would be about 350 feet or so of pipe, which is not in the budget after having to replace the hotwater heater and gas furnace this year. Let's hope we find something...
  5. NurseDoe

Thanks Terry. As you know we have dug up that area countless times. At this point it is more patches than pipe. I am ready to go to home Depot and get some copper and will ask for the fitting. I did learn to solder the copper in the bathroom, but hoping not to have to do that again. Trying to...
  6. NurseDoe

Hello Again. When last I saw you the nightmare of plumbing problems for our main water line had finally been resolved. Since that time, 2-4 more leaks developed in that mysterious black pipe that led to digging up the area and patching with some VERY expensive clamps made for that purpose. Now...
  7. NurseDoe

This is why plumbers get paid the big buck!

:o We have our water back. The volunteer plumbers, family and yes, the water company fixed the last of the leaks with those hard to find fittings. Everything is covered up and we all smell much better after showers! Called plumber who took deposit more than 20 times but he would not return one...
  8. NurseDoe

Oh, this story would make a great screenplay! So, the amazing water company came out this morning. One niece, Jennifer, called in favors and two very nice plumbers showed up about 10 am. Niece Stephanie and the 3 nephews and Albert all met over pipes to discuss options. The broken poly out by...
  9. NurseDoe

Yes, we know it is a favor. The manager, Scott, was a life-saver years ago when someone hit the main and no one had the pieces to fix it! I will bake them cookies for life! I swear I will never, ever, ever complain about the prices plumbers charge ( for not making your yard look like a mine...
  10. NurseDoe

They were attempting to find the galvanized end point. No one knew where the rusty galvanized ended. When the PE came out of the meter, it was in an arc and they were trying to trace it and broke it. ( Maybe because it was uncovered and it is FREEZING). So, all the galvanized is rusty with...
  11. NurseDoe

So, the galvanized pipe from the 1950's broke under the patio. Scores of plumbers gave estimates for more than I make in month, but when we settled on one, he took the deposit and disappeared. So, enter good guy plumbers with good skills and common sense but still more money that I have. So my...
  12. NurseDoe

HELP! Underwater and over my head. Supply main leak

Oh Gary! At this point, I just want WATER. The last plumber took the money and ran. I don't have 5 grand that the good guys want and probably deserve. I just thought PEX would be easier because of the long rolls. I was initially wanting to be as "green" as possible but right now I am...
  13. NurseDoe

At this point, it looks like I will be doing a lot of it myself. The plumber we finally agree upon was supposed to be here last Tuesday and have water on by Wednesday. I have called several times daily and he is a no show and won't return calls. He did find time to stop by right away and pick up...
  14. NurseDoe

Thank you so much for you help, folks! Here is the update: Okay. We decided on replacing the whole main line. So far, I want PEX because 300 feet of copper will cost more than my house! I called the water company and the guy said if I use PEX, I need to put it in another pipe/sleeve. Also...
  15. NurseDoe

Wow, this is going to be much more complicated than I thought it would be. I will look for the charts in the morning. I tried looking through the town building codes to see what the rules are. The pipe only has to buried 12 inches in the rule book but the current rusty stuff is about 24 inches...
  16. NurseDoe

Cacher_chick- Thank you so much for your response. I have had the day to research my options. I know that there have been a lot of problems over the years in that area with leaks and that pressure regulator. I am coming to terms with the reality of having to replace and likely move the supply...
  17. NurseDoe

From the hole to the house This is the pipe that is leaking somewhere From the hole looking toward meter 300 feet thata way
  18. NurseDoe

Thanks, Jimbo. I am going to take some pictures in a little while. I was waiting for the water to drain from the big hole so I can see the pipe better. I do remember that a few years ago, when the kids hit that black pipe we searched high and low for a joint of some kind and NO one had the right...
  19. NurseDoe

My gas line comes from the front of the house. My electricity is overhead. So I just have the water supply and the two septic tanks. Digging should be more frustrating than difficult. My yard is mostly soft sand like a beach. Some areas with harder dirt. So in some places digging is like...
  20. NurseDoe

I didn't know that the plastic stuff came in rolls. I was pricing the rolls of K type copper tubing- 1 inch and it is pretty spendy for 200 feet. I am leaning toward copper so far because many of the problems here are caused by tree roots. There is a huge and beautiful tree fairly close to the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks