Search results

1. BrianJohn

Common trip breakers

Wrong. A handle tie when installed either a legal tie or a 1/8 toggle bolt through the handle (NOT APPROVED, though illegal handle ties are illegal because they are not tested to operate under any condition) will result in opening of both CBs with a trip (fault) on one of the conductors.
  2. BrianJohn

Buzz Noise from Breaker

GOOD ADVICE in addition the poster should know that molded case circuit breakers trip between 6 to 10 times their rating. A 30 amp CB can trip on instantaneous current at 180-300 amps. A motor load starting current can approach this level and the CB (as noted by others) may be close to tripping...
  3. BrianJohn

Receptical Surge protector

Surge protection is highly recommended for protection from transients a prefered method would be to install a TVSS at the panel and one at the point of use. This minimizes destructive forces from impulses that may be imposed on the system. While there are some peddling snke oil out there...
  4. BrianJohn

Copper ain't the only thing going up!!!!!!

Construction inflation is at 27% compared to 13% overall in the last few years.
  5. BrianJohn

Backup power DC/inverter approach

One issue is the battery, I have not read all the post (just lazy) but have you determined. Number of cells Type of cells sealed lead acid, wet cells, NiCad, sealed NiCad? Amp Hours required. Life expectancy, Sealed lead acid batteries with a 10 year life last on average 3-5 years...
  6. BrianJohn

Why did I get zapped?

I totally remodeled one house from foundation to complete exterior redo, and built two houses from ground up to include all custom trim and cabinets. And I have learned one thing, on the next house I'll sub it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. BrianJohn

Why did I get zapped?

1 - heart attack cost 92,000.00 they wanted 20,000.00 for a helicopter ride to go 20 miles I REFUSED it took the ambulance 2,400.00. It is very easy to fall off the deep end in this country. There was a time when the pick your self up by the boot straps and get a job might work. If you slapped...
  8. BrianJohn

Why did I get zapped?

Was this a 3-way switch controlled fixture, could be a "hot set" of 3-ways, also called a "Lazy Suzy" and a variety of other names. No longer utilized in the trade.
  9. BrianJohn

Electrician Services

I am an electrical test technician and independent inspector would not hurt my feelings, that's what I get paid for. Though generally we do commercial, we have tested inspected a few homes.
  10. BrianJohn

Monitoring power consumption?

While I did not look at the posted site, monitoring KWHR on a residential service requires 2-Current sensors or current transformers, there are digital meters from EMON that do KWHR and actual KW in use simultaneously.
  11. BrianJohn

Bonding ground rod to water pipe to nuetral bus

Why wait till you replacce the panel again? Do it now.
  12. BrianJohn

I can only speak for the services (I generally do commercial work) I have been contracted to check, with no utility issues 5-10 amps was the average amperage I saw, a lot of variables play into this, distance between houses, load distribution, size of water pipe, number of houses on the...
  13. BrianJohn

No the water pipe is in parallel with the neutral and significant current can flow on the pipe. depending on the load distribution between the lines, obviously.
  14. BrianJohn

MPM: 1st few residential electricians are going to 'KNOW IT ALL", nothing against them but you just can't learn "It all" doing residential. 2nd there are quite a few studies (check WSSC's web page) on AC currents and effects on water piping. To date there has be no data connection the two...
  15. BrianJohn

It is possible for the water piping system between houses to carry current as this path is in parallel with the neutral conductor (as noted above), this current can be yours, your neighbor or neighbors. If the current is significant it could be the result of neutral connections issues in one or...
  16. BrianJohn

And if the studies are true Copper in concrete should be one of the best electrodes. For those of you with copper incoming water pipes, living in a neighbor with copper to all houses and common utility transformers (feeding more than one house). If you have an amp clamp measure the current on...
  17. BrianJohn

ground electrical boxes

Is this 12-2 with a ground or are you in an older house and want to run an equipment grounding conductor to each box?
  18. BrianJohn

Grounding cold water pipe

Listen I seldom tout my speciailities, but I am a power quality consultant with in which a large portion of my business is grounding, grounding issues and solving grounding issues. BELIEVE ME anyone telling you NOT TO GROUND, is WRONG and in this case you (our your family) could be dead and...
  19. BrianJohn

temporary power pole

Not sure if your utility has any special requirements, but in our area temporary services use SEC* cable and plastic weather heads. IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY as the saying goes....................... *service Entrance Cable.
  20. BrianJohn

Advice on How to Itemize Electricity Usage

Have you asked the utility to calibrate your meter, do not let them BS you as far as I know all state regulatory agencies have some allowances for utilities calibrating their meter. I have saved several customers $1,000.00 when the meter was found to be out of cal. Also had a cases where the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks