Search results

1. dayster

Bathroom planning advice (venting questions primarily)

I wasn't intending to put holes in the joints for the dry vents, I was intending to keep each P-trap and its corresponding vent within the same joist bay. But I see how you could read my diagram that way. I have attached a revised drawing, with revisions to the tub and shower venting...
  2. dayster

Thanks Stuff. I presume the horizontal dry vents are bad because they are subject to clogging if they get backed up? That said, are they typically allowed? I'm loathe to drill the joists to take either vent in a direction perpendicular to the joists, as they are only 2x8s. Yes 1st floor...
  3. dayster

Hi folks, I am long time reader/lurker on this great site. I am planning a bathroom reno that will include a tub, separate shower, WC, and sink (nothing innovative there!) All piping will be new. The bathroom is above my kitchen, and i am aiming to maximize kitchen ceiling height, so have...
  4. dayster

Floodchek washing machine hoses. (Still in business?)

I find the Floodcheck website a bit odd. There is no mention whatsoever of the construction or design of their hoses, the site just says that the hoses are great... without explanation. Seems a bit suspect. The look nice though! Terry, howcum you like them so much?
  5. dayster

Leaking water service in front yard. What are my repair options?

All I could find at the supply house this morning was a Sharkbite slip coupler, and standard 3/4" couplers (not slip couplers). I wanted the slip style to make things easier, and the Sharkbite was less than half the price, so I went with it...
  6. dayster

Thanks all. I suspect the failure is due to the tubing being cold worked - bent too far and then returned, creating a weak spot, as the pipe in the vicinity looks a little "rolled" for lack of a better description - this could be an installation error. Thanks Michael and John - I understand...
  7. dayster

As I expected, 3/4" copper. I suspect that the service has been replaced at some point, as the valve box riser at the property line is plastic pipe. Anyhow... there is a lateral rip in the pipe. Nice of it to be on top, so it is easy to see! I have done a temporary repair with a bit of...
  8. dayster

Thanks John, I was thinking that way already. It isn't at a fitting (well, there's no reason why there should be a fitting in this location - tomorrow I will know for sure). I am probably looking for a repair good for a couple of years until mega yard reno happens. But its a shallow dig, so...
  9. dayster

Braze, eh? I presume that would be a brass repair coupling then? I haven't brazed since grade 8 metal shop...
  10. dayster

I am getting this question out in advance of knowning the size and material of my water service: right now what I have is a hole in the front yard slowly filling with water, and its getting dark so I am putting off fully exposing the pipe. I expect to find 3/4" copper, but my house is almost...
  11. dayster

Draining Copper Pipe Causes Corrosion? "Old Wives Tale" or ?

Hello, I have gotten very good advice from this forum in the past, there appear to be many helpful and knowledgeable members here. My neighbour just took a plumbing course over several weekends. She was told by the instructor not to install new fixtures in her old house until she was...
  12. dayster

Can I install toilet vent in vertical section of pipe below toilet?

Howdy, I am doing a new toilet installation. The 4" waste pipe will drop from the toilet flange straight down a couple of feet, then through a 90 degree bend, then has a few feet of horizontal (on a slope of course!) run to the stack. I have a 2" vent ready in the vicinity, and will connect...
  13. dayster

Best toilet flange size

Since the Nexus uses a PVC trap adapter, it was easy to see how the two different flanges matched up against the toilet's trap outlet. Turns out the reducing flange's hole doesn't line up well with the trap outlet, and would have created a potential clog-inducing lip. I'm going 4" all the...
  14. dayster

Best toilet flange size

Hi folks, I'm installing a new Toto Nexus toilet into a new floor. I haven't installed the toilet flange yet, or the drain piping. I was planning to use a 4" flange and 4" pipe, but I see that there are 4" flanges and reducing 4" to 3" flanges. I presume that a 4" flange and 4" drain to the...
  15. dayster

Hooking new toilet to stack on 1st floor, below existing bathroom

Thanks to all for the help. Happily, I have located an existing 2" vent that i can use! It used to be a drain line, but's been disconnected from that purpose and capped, so I'm good to go now. Cheers, Dayster
  16. dayster

Thanks hj and markts30. I figured that would be the answer. So, here's my last option for your comments: The first floor bathroom is in a 1-storey addition, hence, it has its own roof that is only 1/2 of the total height of the main house. I could give the toilet its own dedicated vent...
  17. dayster

As I plot my "vent strategy", I have a number of options to consider utilizing the existing vent pipes (to avoid new holes in the roof and a number of other unpleasant options). One option is to vent the new toilet up into the main stack ABOVE the entry point of all other fixtures. This...
  18. dayster

Gotcha. Thanks Terry, your site is very helpful.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks