Search results

1. fineline

Waste stack - 2 baths - upgrade to 4"?

thanks for the confirmation Terry. HJ - I was planning on installing a p=trap, but now that you bring it up I realized it was going to end up more like an s-trap based on how close it is to the drain. I guess I could connect the p-trap to a tee and run another vent up - that is how the...
  2. fineline

hey all - re-built the stack and started the rough-in for the bathroom and was hoping to get comments or sign-off on the design. Some photos are below for your reference. The one question I do have is - can I wet vent the bathtub through the lavatory vent? I understand the concept of a wet...
  3. fineline

Yes - a clean-out was definitely in the plan, was going to position it just over the tee where the 2" line comes into the stack. Thanks again for the advice.
  4. fineline

Thanks for the responses. I realized after posting that if I really want the 4" stack I don't need to open up the floor - as long as I can remove those 3" fittings in the photo I can try to donut a new 4" line into the top of that 4" 90deg. fitting that enters the floor. I want to replace that...
  5. fineline

Hey all, I am remodeling 1 full bathroom and setting up a tie-in for another future full bath. I removed most of the existing cast iron stack which was 3", and just as it enters the basement slab it transitions to 4". My plan was to reinstall the stack all as 4". If you look at the...
  6. fineline

Violent hammering in second zone

thanks for the replies - considering I'm neck-deep in a kitchen/bath/living room renovation that is taking longer than my significant other had expected - I think I'll call in a pro to check it out. The problem is only coming from the basement baseboard zone - so I can just leave that off until...
  7. fineline

thanks for the reply -- is the high limit setting something I can adjust relatively easily or is it best to call in a pro? thanks
  8. fineline

Hi all -- I have a gas-fired boiler with two zones - basement and main living floor (its a ranch). Whenever I turn up the stat in the basement, there is some pretty violent hammering until the pressure relief valve on the boiler blows - at this point I usually just turn down the stat so the...
  9. fineline

What is a "future tee"?

thanks Terry, I'll leave mine in and hopefully the inspector won't have an issue with them.
  10. fineline

What is a "future tee"?

I'm sure this is a dumb question but today is the first time I have heard that term. I've looked for a definition but can't find one, only references to future tees. My assumption is a tee with a stub out for connecting new work "in the future". Is this a good assumption? Are there any issues...
  11. fineline

Connect Direct Vent WaterHeater to chimney flue?

thanks for the replies -- I was looking at the Rheem Fury Direct Vent, and the manual does say that if the heater is in an unconfined space - mine is - then infiltration air is adequate for proper combustion and ventilation - and trust me when I say there is no shortage of infiltration air in my...
  12. fineline

Connect Direct Vent WaterHeater to chimney flue?

Can you connect a direct vent hot water heater to a standard masonry chimney flue? Reason I ask -- my water heater has pretty much died so I need to purchase a new one. I also know that my chimney flue is soon in need of a re-lining -- so I was going to purchase a direct vent water heater since...
  13. fineline

Review my waste lines before I glue please

how's this look? I'm personally not crazy about that double street 45 connection, seems like a place for "it" to slow down and potentially collect. thoughts?
  14. fineline

according to Taunton's "Code Check Complete" -- the IRC does not require W.C.s to be vented - see pics. That being said -- I think I might be able to replace that Wye with a 4x4x4 long sweep (with bushing for the 3" vent) - raise it up closer to the joists - and bring the horizontal section of...
  15. fineline

thanks for the reply HJ -- I have attached another pic with the lav waste roughed in, I'll remove that cabinet to give access to the cleanout. I'm in Jersey and I believe we are IRC which does not require venting of toilets. However, I thought that 3" vent that I have to the roof would serve...
  16. fineline

hey guys, just finished the dry fit of my new kitchen and powder room waste lines, but before I get ahead of myself and glue everything up I would love to get some comments from the pros. I'm feeling pretty confident that everything is up to code, but I'd rather not find out the hard way...
  17. fineline

Hot Water Heater Recommendation?

thanks for the recommendations Cass - that should help narrow my search.
  18. fineline

Hot Water Heater Recommendation?

just took a freezing cold shower - not fun. Time to replace the hot water heater, it is 15-20 years old an as the home inspector put it "past its useful service life". I was looking at the tankless on-demand heaters but since I don't expect to be in the house long enough to realize the...
  19. fineline

Review my Kitchen Waste line plan

thanks MG -- I find that taking the time to draw it out saves me a huge amount of time, both when shopping for the parts I need and doing the actual work. I think I'm going to make the effort to get the clean-out in there -- I need the inspection to go as smoothly as possible so I think its...
  20. fineline

Review my Kitchen Waste line plan

thank you very much for the replies, I really appreciate it. Regarding the 4x4x2 tee wye, I understand it needs to be a combo fitting, I just had the wrong language I guess. Couple things I would like to clarify. 1. Combo fitting - this is essentially a long sweep 4x4x2 correct. If I can't...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks