Search results

1. Speedy Petey

20 Amp outlets vs 15 Amp outlets on 20A circuit

What most people tend to forget, or simply don't know, is that a 15A duplex receptacle, regardless of how cheap, is TWO 15A receptacles on a common device yoke. The device is rated for 20A, and BOTH receptacles are rated for 15A. It IS NOT a "15A rated device".
  2. Speedy Petey

What is a good multimeter that does clamp on current?

The Fluke T5 is by far the best bet for you. And it's very affordable, especially for a Fluke.
  3. Speedy Petey

Another long electrical run

If you mean those pre-made sealtite whip kits, they all come with #10 or #8, this has nothing to do with your compressor. A/C compressors do not come with whips or conduit.
  4. Speedy Petey

Another long electrical run

MCA of 15A @240V @70'? 12/2 all day. #10 is fine if you want to feel better about yourself. NO REASON AT ALL to go with #8cu. BTW, the VD calc I use says #14cu is the minimum for 14.7A @240v @70'.
  5. Speedy Petey

Jacuzzi and GFI

Actually I was clarifying an important incorrect point.
  6. Speedy Petey

Jacuzzi and GFI

I don't get it.
  7. Speedy Petey

Jacuzzi and GFI

Which is the 90 deg C column rating, which is meaningless for everything but derating purposes. For a new THHN in conduit/raceway or MC application we would use the 75 deg C column since about the only thin rated 90 deg is the conductor itself. Most everything else in the circuit will be rated...
  8. Speedy Petey

Jacuzzi and GFI

Wrong! There is a VERY big difference between a neutral and a bare ground wire. Right, the NEUTRAL wire. Not the bare ground wire.
  9. Speedy Petey

Running a 36amp load on a 40amp breaker

Sorry, I don't go by rules of thumb or "very close". I go by the code book. In the future, it would serve everyone better if you did not refer to a rule of thumb simply as a "rule".
  10. Speedy Petey

Running a 36amp load on a 40amp breaker

Just what "rule" is this?? Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about.
  11. Speedy Petey

Jacuzzi and GFI

You are quite wrong about this. The ground WAS NOT used as a neutral in those cases. It was the neutral that was also used as the equipment ground. Your misinterpretation of this type of older installation is unfortunately very common.
  12. Speedy Petey

Shed Circuit

That actually looks fine. No issues from what I see. No fittings are required with NM conduit used for protection. Remember, Sch80 is required when used for physical protection.
  13. Speedy Petey

Dedicated outlet for freezer in laundry room = AFCI?

Hey, thanks for the personal OPINION, but this is directly counter to current codes. Do what you want in your own home, but do NOT suggest to others publicly to violate safety codes and standards. Even I will admit that new AFCIs do a much better job at countering nuisance tripping.
  14. Speedy Petey

Dedicated outlet for freezer in laundry room = AFCI?

Under the 2014 NEC this is incorrect. There are very few exceptions where AFCI is not required. Even refers and DW are not exempt. Not that I agree, but when you are forced to comply.......
  15. Speedy Petey

Wiring lights in series with switch loop at the end

Which is why you should stick to plumbing. The requirement to identify the white as a hot was only implemented in the 1999 NEC, so it is still quite typical to see a white as a hot wire. 200.7(C) Circuits of 50 Volts or More. The use of insulation that is white or gray or that has three...
  16. Speedy Petey

Two MC cables into one knockout on main panel?

We use them all the time. Panels, boxes, troughs, whatever. The only restrictions would be manufacturer specs.
  17. Speedy Petey

Main Power Supply Move

If you are talking about the overhead drop to the house this is a utility issue, not an electrician. If they feel the tree needs to be trimmed they will either do it or request you do it. If you don't want to trim the tree and have money to waste an electrician MIGHT be able to relocate the...
  18. Speedy Petey

Wiring lights in series with switch loop at the end

Code requires that the white be the feed to a switch loop and the black be the switched wire. From the 2011 NEC on code now requires a neutral at most switches.
  19. Speedy Petey

I am Moving my Meter Base and Need Some Advice

Oh, well then., You are 100% correct, as usual. My sincerest apologies for attempting to correct a rather erroneous statement. I shall try and do better in the future.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks