Search results

1. Steve20A

Terry Love- cancer update

Well, that is very sad news. I am so sorry for Terry and for all of his family. I joined this forum many years ago, mostly a lurker, occasionally an asker of questions, and once, a poster of the trials and tribulations of toilet installation. Terry’s comments helped me through several projects...
  2. Steve20A

High-Rise Building New Hot Water Heater Specs

@jadnashua - Food for thought. Thanks for the comments @Reach4 - More to think about. The Everlast looks like a nice unit, but too small for our building. We started with 80 gallon units and had to go to 55s when the efficiency standards in Florida changed. We took a lot of crap for having to...
  3. Steve20A

I read all the links that people have supplied, so this is a general question. We currently require water heaters to be replaced every 10 years. This rule was probably developed before plastic tanks were commonly available. Can anyone give me a feel for how much longer a plastic tank ( the...
  4. Steve20A

I hadn't heard of this device. I like the way it is designed to work mechanically. It would be perfect if it could be reset. Single use is kind of a bummer. Maybe a cartridge that could be replaced by the home owner. (Kind of like Saw-Stop, if you are familiar with that technology.) On the other...
  5. Steve20A

I agree. I first used Stitch from Monoprice, but they proved to be unreliable (floating quietly under the leaking dishwasher). I found Govee, as you recommend. They are very good. I like the app and the messages that are delivered to my phone, when they trigger. (Installation took a bit of...
  6. Steve20A

Thank you. I appreciate that link. I am not very familiar with Rheem and will see what they offer. But, finding water heaters that work is not the biggest issue. I am trying to update our specifications, so that individual apartment owners can have guidance to buy the best unit for their...
  7. Steve20A

Yes, we have looked at that. The analysis shows that we do not have a sufficient volume of air entering the HVAC closets and the air that does enter is chilled (by the building A/C equipment, not the apartment A/C equipment). It might be that, in the future, when hybrid units are more suitably...
  8. Steve20A

@Reach4 Thank you for your comments. Although Florida is a good climate for extracting heat from surrounding air, because this is a high-rise and infrastructure is very hard to change, we discovered that the cost of getting that warm air into individual apartments makes the cost of hybrid...
  9. Steve20A

@jadnashua - thank you for your comments. I appreciate the time you took to respond.
  10. Steve20A

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Terry Love Plumbing World, I live in a high-rise condo in southwest Florida. We have a rule that requires replacement of high-risk plumbing components at periodic intervals. When the rule was last updated, in 2015, 80-gallon hot water heaters manufactured at that...
  11. Steve20A

TOTO Ultramax II, MS604114CEFG toilet reviews & pictures

@Reach4 @jadnashua Thanks for your additional suggestions. I tried @Reach4's suggestion of closing the shut-off valve a bit (about 3/4 of a turn) and that worked. It's much quieter now and fully acceptable. Thanks again. Steve
  12. Steve20A

Thanks for your quick response. Not sure if I have a lot of room underneath to install an arrestor, but I'll look. For sure, I can try closing the shut-off valve a bit and see what happens.
  13. Steve20A

So, a follow-up after having installed the TOTO Ultramax II MS604114CEFG at the end of October. We love the toilet, make no mistake, but here are two comments from two months' worth of usage. 1. When the tank fills and then shuts off, it is loud. The mechanism allows for full water flow and...
  14. Steve20A

So, I needed to replace a toilet that my wife didn't like. Wasn't broken, but never flushed well. We didn't do it when we did a big remodel two years ago, so it was time. I started looking for replacements - read Consumer Reports, thought back to what a plumber friend had said a few years ago...
  15. Steve20A

Under Slab Waste Pipe

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have to tell you that it was your efforts in helping me understand what could and could not be done that allowed me to push enough to get a second effort from the design team. Thanks to your input, the plumber hired by my contractor has...
  16. Steve20A

Under Slab Waste Pipe

Under Slab Waste Pipe - Capacity Questions First, this is a new thread to ask a couple of questions that resulted from an older thread. I don't want everyone to have to read thru the original thread to answer. Second, thanks to everyone who responded to the first thread. You have provided...
  17. Steve20A

Sewer Line Under Slab - New Construction

Final Questions Thanks to everyone for responding. I have created a new thread to ask the final questions that resulted from this discussion. This thread can be considered closed. Steve
  18. Steve20A

<<the dotted blue line in the side view shows the upstairs stack turning and going down the wall on an angle. (is that right?). Not good; angle is too steep... >> Correct, but the angles and slope are not accurate. The idea was to show that the pipes could not stay near the ceiling, because...
  19. Steve20A

Correct. The beam has nothing to do with anything under the slab. Only why the pipe cannot be at basement ceiling level (for the upper floor waste sources). I don't know if the contractor is planning on 3" or 4" pipe. It never came up for discussion. Thanks for this info, tho. My...
  20. Steve20A

Hello. Steve20A here with a general question for the experts. I am building a new house. The houses previously built by this contractor have waste lines running around the perimeter of the unfinished basement, collecting waste from the kitchen and baths and eventually going to the sewer exit...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks