Search results

1. OscarG

What do I have? Black poly with aluminum tube liner.

Went back to look again for some markings... none. Took a hacksaw to it about 3' in from the end and it turns out it is "main line" TV cable for direct burial. The only water I'm going to run through this is as a picture. Thanks for your thinking on this!
  2. OscarG

What do I have? Black poly with aluminum tube liner.

A friend gave me about 300' of what I thought was 3/4" black poly pipe, like used to bring water from a well. When I picked it up it was a lot heavier and it turns out it has black poly (PEX ??) over aluminum tube. OD of poly is 0.88", aluminum tube OD is 0.75". What do I have? Think it will...
  3. OscarG

Vent size ?

This scenerio sounds like it could solve a problem for me... Just to be clear, I do not need to carry my 3" drain, at that size, all the way to the attic for vent. My fixture locations, all on one floor, for a bath (w.c., shower and lav), kitchen sink with dish washer and laundry stand pipe...
  4. OscarG

Dressing an electrical panel

For start, I am not a pro although I do have EE degree. Over the years I have done a number of projects (with inspection) for myself and, knock wood, never been "failed". My prference is for a combination of "dressing". I route both neutral and ground short and direct as they can stay where...
  5. OscarG

Distance of Telephone (POTS) wring?

Unless you are way out in the country adding another 0.6 mile should not be a problem for POTS, although if you have DSL on the line it may stop working if you are already at 15000 ft. DSL has a max range of ~18000 ft. and sometimes less depending on the age of the DSLAM equipment. Your TelCo...
  6. OscarG

Copper ain't the only thing going up!!!!!!

There is a post on the Plumbing forum about the price of copper... It's not the only thing going up. A high amperage SquareD breaker (QO2200) that had been $245 for a couple years now went to $266 overnight. Scarry where we are headded!
  7. OscarG

electrical voltage converters

You might also look at the label on the battery charger power supply. Some of these can accept a very wide range of input voltage. My computer's supply can accept input voltage of 100-240V AC 50-60Hz. With the right plug adapter this will work in many countries. There may be a chance your...
  8. OscarG

Best Drill Bit for Electrical Wiring

I picked up a set of Irwin Speedbor Max bits at BigBlueBox Store last summer to do a project. They are great! Three cutting edges, short enough so even w/o right angle drill I could go streight through joist on 16" center using battery power dirll. Check this link for Irwin Information
  9. OscarG

Wire Size / Fixture Attachment

Thanks for all the wisdom! Although my initial feeling was in agreement with Speedy Petey, that 402.10 was the applicable code, I now also see the logic differentiating factory assembled fixture wire from field wiring to a screw terminal. Looks like I go with the 12 ga pigtails to the...
  10. OscarG

Wire Size / Fixture Attachment

I have installed 10 ceiling boxes in a workshop area and intend to put simple porcelain sockets on them to provide general overall lighting. Circuit wired with 12/2 NM between boxes, circuit protected at 20A. Plan to use 150W equivalent CF bulbs so no issue with heat. Installing the porcelain...
  11. OscarG

2nd floor subpanel

Not a licensed pro, but do have EE and have done much of my own work and passed all inspections. Not necessairly... 10/3 with Gnd NM could be used if not precluded for use in your situation (wet, subject to damage, etc.) You DO NEED 4 conductor cable; 2 hot, 1 neutral and ground. Bonding screw...
  12. OscarG

Outlets on Opposite Sides of Wall/Partition

Not sure where I saw something about a code requirement that outlets serving rooms on opposite sides of a wall/partition need to be at least 24 inches apart. Intent was to prevent fire spreading across partition thru the penetrations. Can anyone give me the specifics of this? I have a...
  13. OscarG

DWV Plan for Loft Space

geniescience (David), Thanks again for the comment. I knew my original design was kind of flakey but then found a picture indicating I did have a "pocket" to route the 3" vent into the new location. My recolection was there was a solid beam in this location that forced the vent as I originally...
  14. OscarG

DWV Plan for Loft Space

Revised Plan Revised the plan above based on finding a better fitting... https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13191 Now all seems to be vented correctly!
  15. OscarG

Sanitary T w/ L & R Side Inlet

I found this fitting in a catalog and it seems like it could solve the problem of feeding a W.C., shower drain and lavatory drain into a stack (on a second floor bath) with only a slight drop to the cieling below. I did not want to notch or dirll the joists for pipe so keeping all of the entry...
  16. OscarG

DWV Plan for Loft Space

geniescience (David), thanks for quick feedback! Unfortunately, my drawings do not fully document the situation. Did find a picture of the second floor "space" which may help. I intended as 2" based on 1 unit for Lav and 2 units for Kitchen sink, thinking there was sufficient capacity to...
  17. OscarG

DWV Plan for Loft Space

This is my second attempt at major DWV project so I am looking for advice on my design. This is for adding bath, kitchen and compact washer to second floor "loft" space over an existing shop area. Building was built about 15 years ago and never finished. Now looking to make it livable for...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks