Search results

1. hiremichaelreid

Shower stops working after water heater replacement

Problem solved. It was gunk in the small metal piece that's threaded on one side and has a ball on the other for fitting into the plastic part of the shower head. The gunk built up on the screen inside it. I think, but am not sure this is the piece that restricts water flow. I'm hoping to...
  2. hiremichaelreid

Thanks Jim and Terry. House is only 8 years old; I think/am pretty sure it's copper piping throughout. It's not the plastic shower head. I've already removed that and the flow is still just a tiny dribble. I haven't disconnected the threaded coupling with the 'plumber's tape' near the head...
  3. hiremichaelreid

I'm happy with my new Bradford White water heater, but unhappy with the drywall damage and some other issues with the plumber that installed it: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29799 I'm not sure I can directly blame the plumber for the simultaneous failure of my shower when the...
  4. hiremichaelreid

Giant or Bradford White 6 yr vs 10 yr warranty

Thanks for all the advice. I had my Bradford White water heater installed today and it seems to be working OK. I'm not entirely satisfied with the removal and installation. I'll admit I'm a 'tough customer' in that I like the 'best', do Internet research and ask questions. But I've done...
  5. hiremichaelreid

Thanks Gary, Terry, HJ, and Redwood. Yes, I agree pro-rated warranties are pretty much useless. I had no idea the BW 10 year was just an 'extended service plan', which I'd consider a waste of money. I assumed it was a different model of water heater with better anode or tank or whatever. Some...
  6. hiremichaelreid

Hi FloridaOrange, :) No, no house filter here. We're on the edge of town in a semi-rural area, so I wonder if the chlorine doesn't make it out here in the same quantities. The only reason the city ran water here was because a local dump made well water questionable. I've been reading the...
  7. hiremichaelreid

Hi, I need to replace my water heater since it's started leaking. I tried to replace the anode a few years ago, because of sulfur smell, but the lack of overhead clearance mandated an articulated rod, and I couldn't find an easy local source here in Ottawa, Canada and never got around to it...
  8. hiremichaelreid

Backup Sump and Discharge for frozen line; Zoeller or Hydromatic ?

>If you cut the pvc line and install a "T" in place of the elbow (one opening of T joint points straight down like previous elbow, other opening points straight up), then you can add some pipe to lengthen the additional opening and then attach a flex hose to serve as your second line. I'm...
  9. hiremichaelreid

I gave up on the Sens, since they consistently choked in the Playoffs in the last several years. Maybe if I start watching again, and root for em, they'll choke for you... :) Why you rooting for the Sabres? Anyway, I'm half Canadian and figure it's time for "Lord Stanley's Cup" to come back to...
  10. hiremichaelreid

>1. IMO - Aquanot II is the best backup unit. Uses a square-D brand switch that you might be able to get via Zoeller directly. Don't worry about the switch life for backups as would for your primary AC pump. Yes, I guess you are right that in my backup application, the switch life shouldn't be...
  11. hiremichaelreid

Thanks for your comments carmel corn. >5. You can have a single discharge line for both pumps. I think it'd be too expensive, and too lawn destroying to get a backhoe in here, dig up the line, and replace it with a new discharge line with a proper slope. I'm not even sure the close bedrock...
  12. hiremichaelreid

frozen outside sump pipe

Main thing is to have a proper slope on the discharge pipe. If it sags in the middle water can collect and freeze. Alternate solutions include heating the pipe or possibly insulating can help, or burying beneath the frost line. I'm just a homeowner who had a frozen line last month and have...
  13. hiremichaelreid

I can't find an online Zoeller sump pump reseller with decent prices that ships to Canada. Any ideas ?
  14. hiremichaelreid

No response ? Just spoke with the plumber. He says they would use ABS pipe outside, as PVC is only used underground (or inside). He claims he has never heard of Zoeller. I'm a bit surprised but I'd guess he doesn't read plumbing stuff on the internet. Told him I was concerned that...
  15. hiremichaelreid

Hi,... I would appreciate advice on a backup sump system. I've owned a home for 2 years and am a moderately handy plumbing amateur, but I've been researching this issue a lot the past few weeks. Had 1" of water in the basement 4 weeks ago due to a frozen discharge line. The line is about 60...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks