Search results

1. mh718

Possible to replace bladderless tank with bladder-type tank?

Yes. It sticks up. I'm not there now. I think the point is moot. I'm going to let the plumber do as he said he would. It lasted this long; I'll be happy with another 11-15 years.
  2. mh718

Thanks! I'm not going to second guess it. Will let them replace like for like.
  3. mh718

And thanks, Reach4. It appears the schraeder is part of the jet pump and if the tank is sort of working with the pump to maintain the correct pressure, maybe the plumber just thinks it's not worth the trouble to try and fuss with replacing with a bladder tank. The pre-charged pressure might mess...
  4. mh718

Wow. That's a lot of info. I think I figured out what the plumber was talking about. I think I must have a "jet pump" and not a submersible pump. Not sure how deep the well is. At any rate, the tank I have is this one: ProSource AW42-01 epoxy-lined tank...
  5. mh718

My well tank (a bladderless type) with a float mechanism to control air level just sprung a big leak (appears to have rusted through at the bottom). I shut everything down and called my local (very good) plumber for repair. He said, "yup, you need a new tank". I wanted to know if it could be...
  6. mh718

surging pressure

Thanks so much everyone. I emptied the entire tank and then put the pump back on to re-charge/fill it. Worked much better. I agree the problem seems to be with that AVC. I'll get a new one. And no, there's no cap on that snifter valve. It's open. Just a bad picture. And thanks for the tip...
  7. mh718

surging pressure

Thanks. I think I found the snifter, too. It's in the lower left corner of the photo. I mistook it for the place to add air at first. I changed it. It's not clogged, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I'll keep looking into the snifter issue. No condensation on the tank, which is confusing me...
  8. mh718

surging pressure

Hi. I'm trying to educate myself on my well water system and I've read a lot already, but it is all pointing to the possibility that I may be in need of a new water pressure tank. Here's the situation: I have a well system with submersible pump and a ProSource AW42-01 epoxy-lined tank. The...
  9. mh718

Vent holes in house

Yes, I know about that. I'll just assume you have to cut two holes unless someone tells me otherwise. I'll plan on putting them side by side, I suppose, with separate covers.
  10. mh718

Vent holes in house

Hi. I'm moving and adding exhaust vents in my basement renovation. One for the dryer and one for the new bathroom fan. I know that the two cannot share a duct for safety reasons. Does this mean that I have to cut two holes in the outside of the house? I know that seems like a "duh" question, but...
  11. mh718

New cast iron pipe for shower--what drain?

Thanks. Um, my original question on this thread was how to connect a shower drain to a cast iron pipe. Everyone said I had to switch to plastic (at least I think that's what I was told). I just looked at Zurn.com and saw two cast iron shower drains that seem to have a "no hub" option. Model...
  12. mh718

This slab was recently poured over a vapor barrier and 1" polystyrene insulation. On top of that is mesh reinforcement. There are 3/8" pex radiant tubes in the floor, attached to the wire mesh with cable ties. Luckily the tubes are not in the immediate vicinity of the pipe, but I wasn't...
  13. mh718

Here's pics of my morning spent chipping away concrete. I gained about 2" by removing the concrete, provided I can actually cut the cast iron below the slab level--any recommendations? First I'm going to try accessing the no-hub gasket. It is down there somewhere, below the vapor barrier and...
  14. mh718

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I'll let you know how it works out.
  15. mh718

Thanks for all your help. So, I've been studying this mud-bed thing and I'm pretty good with tile and concrete, so I'm thinking I don't need to resort to any pre-fab, but can do my own shower pan with a pvc liner. And I'm listening to you guys about being able to get to the drain pipe a...
  16. mh718

Thanks for all your help. I'm considering a tile-redi pan. They informed me that it is a simple matter of using a rubber connector between the built-in pvc drain and the cast iron pipe and that it would not raise the height of the shower unnecessarily. Are any of you familiar with the...
  17. mh718

Thanks for your help. Breaking up the concrete is not an option. I have radiant tubing in the floor (nice and toasty). It's a brand new floor. It was plumbed this way by a professional plumber specifically for a shower, so I'm guessing this is standard practice. There must be a shower drain...
  18. mh718

not much to look at Can't find my camera at the moment, but imagine a perfectly smooth new concrete floor with a 2 inch cast iron pipe sticking up about 6 inches. Simple enough to couple PVC to it, if snapped to the correct height, using a no-hub rubber gasket? What is the correct height...
  19. mh718

Hi. My basement has new roughed in plumbing for a bathroom, including a shower. I have found lots of options for installing shower kits or doing a mud/liner type tile shower, but most specify abs or pvc for the drain. I have brand new cast iron pipe. What are my options for a shower drain...
  20. mh718

steam radiators - recycle or sell?

Hi. I've just pulled out 5 steam radiators from my house. I've replaced the heat with radiant on two floors and new hot water radiators on one floor. I'm not sure what to do with the old radiators. They work fine (heated the house for many, many years), so it seems a shame to scrap them...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks