Search results

1. K

Dishwasher, Disposal and Single Basin Sink in Illinois

You know, when I wrote down my concerns here (same as yours about that water standing in a p trap) no one even raised a red flag. John said its ok - the only reason I say its ok is because if I was to hook up a DW in a remote island with no sink that is how it would look like. If you dont have a...
  2. K

Disposal is located far enough (far right of the DW) that the DW hose is kinda short (standard 6ft) - short enough to not to be able to form high loop. I bought 12ft extension and connected to the disposal but the DW was struggling....discharge water was slowly pouring although the extension was...
  3. K

Some codes are not forced. Same thing happens often in electrical. The inspector simply tells you how it is supposed to be done but also says "just leave it like this, it's fine". Also, not all of inspectors understand physics, not all of them worked in plumbing/electric trade, for some it is...
  4. K

Thank you guys for all your input. I really appreciate all your precious time and knowledge. Thanks John for helping out. If possible I will bring more info after inspection just to let you know.
  5. K

That is right, just that wet joint does not "feel" right :) It is hooked to the disposal but only to allow air to empty that wet joint - No disposal discharge in that connection Well, it is wet because no air is allowed like with normal receptor (ex sink) so it may be considered not vented...
  6. K

After all my case is exactly the case of "the dishwasher in the island with no sink" so this setting should be fine, right?
  7. K

But the tailpiece is full of water after the DW finish its job. And the water does not level with bottom of wall drain. Not even after 24h. I just loosened the cap and of course the water leveled. I can now remove the cap, put another branched tailpiece on top of that existing one and connect...
  8. K

Question to you guys: do you know a way of transition from top of that 1-1/2 tailpiece to a 3/4 rubber hose? female threaded adapter with barb? have not seen anything like it on the web. any other pvc connectors/extensions/adapters/reducers?
  9. K

You are right. The water does not levels because no air is allowed. Question to John: is this the setup that you were talking about?
  10. K

Double sink, disposal, dishwasher, 70s house - was this done correctly?

In my opinion and knowledge thare shoul be separate trap for that disposal because now it is shared with right side of the sink. When you turn the disposal on the majority of the discharge can run accros that T and up to the bowl. Plus separate P traps are by the code. Also I would disconnect...
  11. K

This is how I did. The DW drains fine. No water is moving back toward the DW after draining is over, although I have to say that the tailpiece is full of water. No funny bubbling noises when draining nor after. If I could only somehow let the air come inside thru that cap in top (in safely...
  12. K

If the pump was higher it would siphone of course toward waste. But the pump is lower so.....it still may siphone but towards the DW. Not necessarily, not "for sure"....but it might. That is why the air break is needed. Not only to stop DW being contaminated with bacteria when hooked to...
  13. K

After an hour or so I second my last thought when I said "makes sense" hahaha. Of course the DW will drain like you said John regardless of direct/indirect hookup......but.....with direct connection the water may siphone to the DW empyting p trap even if hose is high looped under the counter...
  14. K

Ok got it. Thanks for that. Makes sense. You got me on physics here. Which is good because I can use that second drain on the left. However air gap of some form is required for "by the book" and inspector in residential application.
  15. K

Thank you for claryfing that. However..... The diagram you provided is "direct connection with floor drain located within 4 feet" (illustration D)which is not happening in my home (and nobodys home I guess). So yes, you are right about the fact that this doesnt really apply to what we talk about...
  16. K

In that (particular) case I would not even need a P trap because water in the hose would prevent the sewer gas to enter my kitchen thru the DW. But unfortunately (fortunately) the P trap is required by code and it is required always. So the ultimate question is: Will trap work properly (not...
  17. K

You mean counting from the wall: trap->tailpiece with branch for DW capped on top->DW hose? Doesnt that configuration cause siphoning (and drying) the trap, does it(because no air admittance from the top of tailpiece)? Yes I know. I goes to the roof. It allows the water that is after p trap to...
  18. K

Ok Like I said there is not much to do. Having second drain does not really help as there is no way for P Trap to work properly if no "room air" enters from the top. I ended up hooking up DW to disposal thru high loop - no air gap. Sure I have a hole in the top of the sink for accesories such...
  19. K

I just called one friendly plumber with the license for IL. He said to mount a P trap and tail piece on the left drain and connect DW to it. I asked him how is it possible for the water to drain from DW with gravity if I cap the top of the tail piece and he said: normally....I think he did not...
  20. K

This cap is where left side of the double sink was draining to (including DW). I am slowly giving up on this....I mean I understand physics and local codes based on the physics and it is just impossible to eat a candy and have a candy at the same time - what I want to say that without air gap...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks