Search results

1. CarlH

Gusher

Thursday night I notice that my hot water heater has sprung a leak. The water heater is sitting in a pan and I noticed that there was a bit of water in the pan, so I figure the leak must be small. Friday morning I call a plumber to come check the water heater. He tells me that he is booked...
  2. CarlH

Adding new outlets to an unfinished garage

My advise to not use the breaker if the lighting is on the same circuit was not out of concern of a false trip. I would hate to lose my lighting if any trip ever occurred which could lead to a hazardous situation of trying to navigate in the dark. I understand it would be easier to...
  3. CarlH

Adding new outlets to an unfinished garage

A heck, I'll weigh in with my 2 cents. It sounds like the light switch is on the same circuit as the outlets. If that is the case, I would not go with the GFCI breaker since you will lose your lights if you trip the GFCI. I would go with one GFCI outlet and wire all the other outlets to the...
  4. CarlH

Sump pump switches constantly failing

If the switch on your existing pump is not integrated into the pump you could swap out the old switch for a new one. Not sure if he still posts here but there was a plumber Mark that used to recommend the using the SJE Vertical Master float switch. If you need to get a new pump, get one that...
  5. CarlH

Relative locations of sillcock, whole-house filter, PRV, expansion tank

I'm not a plumber so I am not going to comment on the code aspects to this setup. It does look to be a rather unconventional setup. Is the shutoff between the meter and the filter easily accessible? Should a water leak emergency or maintenance be required with the sillcock, PRV or the filter...
  6. CarlH

Toto Drake - Can the flush be adjusted.

Yes. If you change just the flapper, it will use more than 1.6 GPF. Not only will it use more water when you flush, but too much water will be used for the bowl refill. If you change the fill valve, that will correct the overfilling of the bowl caused by the flapper change. Everybody...
  7. CarlH

Costco Titan Premium Food Waste Disposer review and comments, T-1060

I don't think this is typical for these units. I had a Badger 1 that did not leak until it was something like 14 years old. I replaced it with the ISE Evolution Compact. I like the Evolution series much better, because it is much more quiet and it has a stainless steel grind chamber. The...
  8. CarlH

Flushmate Recall on Flushmate® III Pressure-Assisted Flushing System for Toilets

I started a thread on this a day or two earlier. Might as well delete that thread since this one has the pictures and video. I figured that they would try to resolve the safety problem while keeping costs down, so I was expecting them to send the equivalent of a large hose clamp or two and use...
  9. CarlH

Sloan Flushmate III recall

Just an FYI that there has been a recall on the Sloan Flushmate. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2014/flushmate-expands-recall-of-flushmate-iii-pressure-assisted-flushing-system I just submitted my information for them to send me a "repair kit". We'll see what the repair kit is. I suspect that...
  10. CarlH

Top Freezer working, Fridge is failing

There should be some sort of access panel at the back of the freezer. Remove it and check the evaporator coil. I bet it will have built up frost and ice. If that is the case, defrost it manually first and this will give you some time to look into the defrost function. Leave the cover off to...
  11. CarlH

Exhaust Fan and H2O..

Jim, I'm in the same boat as you were. For my top floor bathrooms, the ducts for the bath fans were run to the soffit. I need to redo those ducts and get them vented to the outside and was debating on whether or not to go with a roof cap or wall cap. In one case, using a roof cap would be a...
  12. CarlH

Exhaust Fan and H2O..

What do you folks up north use as far as terminating the duct? Just wall caps or do you also use roof caps? I would expect the vertical rise needed for a roof cap would allow moisture build up and leak from the duct.
  13. CarlH

Exhaust fan .. 6 inch duct redcucing to 4 ?

It does not change anything. The good news is that it does not make things worse. For your short duct run and assuming no elbows, the wall cap will be the largest restriction in the system by far. This will hold true for the 6" as well wall cap even though it should be much less restrictive...
  14. CarlH

Exhaust fan .. 6 inch duct redcucing to 4 ?

You would really be much better off using a 6" wall cap. Using the 4" wall cap will definitely result in a reduced air flow and more noise than using a 6" wall cap. The short 8" section of 4" round duct isn't really that much of a problem, but the 4" wall cap itself will be a major factor...
  15. CarlH

Sump Pump help...please

Since you indicate that it cycles as often as it does in a drought, it sound like you are dealing with a fair amount of ground water. I think the water flowing to your sump has more to do with location than anything. What is the topography of your area? Are you in a low lying area? What do...
  16. CarlH

Air Leakage from Sump

Yes, a water heater and a furnace.
  17. CarlH

Air Leakage from Sump

My smoke bombs came in today and I just had to try them out. I used three bombs at separate times and have no idea where the smoke went. I went with the small size that has a 45sec burn time for 150 cu. ft. of smoke and they must be too small for this task with the smoke getting to diluted by...
  18. CarlH

Air Leakage from Sump

Good call, but I my basement windows are 12" high and above grade, so no window wells. The earth around the drain tiles is mostly red clay and not porous. It is certainly possible that all of the air I was pumping into the sump pit may have not been flowing outside of the envelope. Some of...
  19. CarlH

Air Leakage from Sump

No, not the basement. That would be rather difficult. The discharge from the bath fan is running to the sump pit. Basically it is set up in a manner you would need to do for a smoke test. I'm just surprised that the fan did not meet more resistance. Smoke pellets on order. I should...
  20. CarlH

Air Leakage from Sump

My house is not that tight. It seems that drain tiles flow that much air. I have checked the draft at the water heater after plugging other leaks in the past and we do have two carbon monoxide detectors in the house. I did connect a bath fan to the sump. It is delivering air with some...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks