Search results

1. ScotDeerie

City girl needs help with country well/pump

Trouble is, I'm very rural here. My neighbors are either elderly or I know more than they do. My closest male neighbor comes to me when he needs power tools, home improvement advice, someone to paint, plaster, strip wood, kill spiders. <hee> I have a lot of experience in doing a lot of...
  2. ScotDeerie

You mean I should borrow them and not give them back?? :eek: What a great idea!! :D Giselle P.S. Yes, I'm joking.
  3. ScotDeerie

Nah, I wasn't scared as much as I was gettin' broke. Being as there isn't a man in the house, I don't have all those cool man-toys like pipe wrenches and welding units and such. At some point I had to decide that I had put enough money into and it was time to just sit and see what happened...
  4. ScotDeerie

Whooohooooo!!!!! It's thawed. Five days of sitting quietly with heat tape, insulation, and a garbage can shoved down on top of everything finally thawed the hydrant. It works fine; nothing cracked. And it was 3 degrees here this a.m. so it has to be just sitting under all that stuff...
  5. ScotDeerie

I guess so. This is an area I don't understand too well (no pun) but there is no pump above the ground so I guess if submersible is the only other choice, that's what it is.
  6. ScotDeerie

*hmph* Brag brag brag. :::black, cold, jealous thoughts::: I briefly toyed with heat lamps but the spigot stands alone in the middle of a lawn, unsheltered by anything. It's hard enough getting electric out there for the heat tape. And, yes, it did get into negative numbers here AGAIN...
  7. ScotDeerie

Yes. :p This little frozen spigot thingy notwithstanding, most times I'm downright sensible. (Except for wanting a draft horse to ride, I guess.) Unfortunately, 24-hours after putting on the heat tape and insulation, nothing has thawed. Crapola. My horses drink 40+ gallons of water or so a...
  8. ScotDeerie

I thought I did. The heat tape, the insulation and the garbage can "shelter" aren't good enough?
  9. ScotDeerie

Goodness, I sure hope so! Schlepping out 5 gal buckets of water to a draft horse and two minis isn't the most fun I've ever had in a barn. :p Stay tuned, I promise to report back! Giselle
  10. ScotDeerie

Yeah, burning down my neighbor's little barn, which is next to the spigot, would sort of be the last straw in this little episode... I was out there for a few hours and the heat lamp experiment didn't pan out so here's what I settled for by the time my face was about to freeze off: I wrapped...
  11. ScotDeerie

Thanks, lee. Can you tell me why it has to be thawed below ground level? Does water remain in that line if the handle isn't put down on the riser spigot? I thought once the pump was shut down, the water in the line returned to the well since there was no force/flow behind it. So I have to...
  12. ScotDeerie

Bear with me here, I might have some of the terminology wrong: I water my horses from an outside well that's powered by an electric pump down in the well. The "pump" that's frozen is the pump unit that's at ground level, not the electric one down in the well. At least I HOPE it's not...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks