Search results

1. The old college try

Replacing Furnace - Need help on recommendations

I need help weeding through the process of deciding on a furnace. I have a 23 year old Lennox Whisperheat that I'm thinking about replacing with a high efficiency system since I can get in on some rebate and tax credits. I've had three contractors in for quotes so far and I'm getting differing...
  2. The old college try

Direct Vent Stove Install/Ansi Rating

I have a used Free Standing Gas Stove that I'm looking to install in my basement. I spoke to the inspector on the phone today asking about permits needed and during the conversation he asked if the stove was UL certified or if it has a ANSI or ASTM rating. I didn't have the info at the time...
  3. The old college try

Testing Gas Fireplace

Anyone have and ideas on testing a free standing direct vent gas fireplace? It's a used unit that looks to be in good condition, but I have not seen it running and want to make sure that it works before I run a new gas line and bust a hole in my basement wall for the vent. I was thinking about...
  4. The old college try

Direct Vent Fireplace - Snorkel

Anyone have any experience with venting direct vent fireplaces? I picked up a gas free standing stove that I'm planning to install. I'll likely do the venting myself and have the gas line run down by someone else. It'll be a below grade installation, and Im quite sure I'll need a snorkel to...
  5. The old college try

Panel supply cable

I'm getting ready to replace my panel in the near future and I have a few things I'm still trying to figure out. From the picture can anyone tell me if it's ok to have the supply cable sweep down like it currently does into the panel, or will it need to be protected in conduit or something? Same...
  6. The old college try

Drain for Sauna

I'm looking to build a sauna in my basement. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to place a floor drain in it to catch water thrown on heater and for occasionally rinsing it out. I don't have gravity sewer available, so I'm planning to run a 2" floor drain w/trap to the sump about 8 feet...
  7. The old college try

Gas line for Fireplace

I'm hoping someone can tell me if homeowners can run their own gas lines within a house (from existing service) or if it's necessary to hire a licensed pro. My dad (in Canada) used to have an industrial gas ticket and would be a good resource for me, but he's not familiar with U.S. laws or...
  8. The old college try

Radon Fan Installation

I have a question about mixing wire size. I'm installing a radon fan and need to tap into an existing circuit to supply power to the fan. There is a light extremely close to where I need power, so I'm considering tapping at that location. The breaker is 15A, however, much of the cable on that...
  9. The old college try

Pit in basement.. what's it for??

I'm not even sure if this qualifies as a plumbing discussion item, but there is some sort of pit in the center of my basement laundry room floor. There's a slight depression in the floor in this area and a large metal cap (about 5" diameter) which I always thought was some sort of floor drain...
  10. The old college try

Main Valve Leaking

The main shutoff in my house located just before the meter leaks when turned off making it extremely difficult to solder connections to the main pipe. For now, I'm just going to install a 1/4 turn valve with compression fittings just after the meter. I'm wondering if it's possible to rebuild...
  11. The old college try

Old Knob and tube removal

So, I removed all of the old knob and tube from my attic and now I have several places where there is 3" of old wiring popping up from the ceiling where I cut the wires. I'm sure that there is no power coming to these wires now, but what do I do to give the next guy that comes along a level of...
  12. The old college try

Electrician Services

So, my attic wiring thread is getting a little long, and I have some questions about hiring an electrician. I grew up with my dad always doing everything himself (yelling at me if I didn't hold the light just right), so I'm not really sure how to go about hiring outside help. I'm thinking of...
  13. The old college try

Knob and Tube in attic / insulation

I'm doing some work in my attic to upgrade insulation. I'm pulling up the existing insulation as I go to ensure that there are no problems. I'm coming across alot of old knob and tube wiring, alot of which has been disconnected, and new wiring has been run all over. There are a few places...
  14. The old college try

Bathroom Remodel - Thanks everyone

I don't know if I ever said it, but thanks to everyone who gave me help and advice for my bathroom remodel that I finished last spring. I attached a before and after. Hard to show everything in this long, narrow room. Oh well, everyone knows what a toilet looks like.
  15. The old college try

Vermiculite?

I have another challenge with my attic insulation project. There is a pile of what looks like some sort of blown in insulation product in one corner of the attic over the existing batts. I'm wondering if this could be vermiculite. I'd like to remove it so that I can replace the garbage batts...
  16. The old college try

Attic Insulation - vapor barrier

I'm looking for advice on how to deal with an existing vapor barrier attic situation. I went up to the attic to evaluate the situation on existing insulation and was not surprised to find two layers of 3-1/2 inch fiberglass both having a foil vapor barrier facing up (the previous owners did...
  17. The old college try

Ugly flow from tub spout

I recently tested the plumbing on my bathtub install and notice that the flow out of the tub spout is not very smooth.. actually it's really rough. I notice that some tub spouts have a grid at the opening of the spout which I assume causes the flow to be more smooth. I'm wondering if the spout...
  18. The old college try

Installing plastic tub - mortar bed?

I'm getting ready to install my tub (hopefully tomorrow) and I'm not really excited about the way it feels during a dry fit. When I step in the tub is feels like it sinks slightly before resting on the bottom supports. The instructions say that it should be placed either directly on plywood or...
  19. The old college try

Rough plumbing / electrical inspections

I'm getting ready for plumbing and electrical rough inspections for my bathroom remodel. I live in a small village and it is difficult to reach the inspectors. I'm looking for some direction on what is commonly done for the inspections. Since fixtures are not connected to drain lines at this...
  20. The old college try

Bathroom fan vent type

Does anyone know if one type of vent is better than the other for a bathroom fan (flexible metal, solid wall, plastic, etc.)? I've heard that some are noisier than others. Am I over-thinking this?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks