Search results

1. The old college try

Replacing Furnace - Need help on recommendations

I thought about Trane/American Standard, but a search on their website didn't list a dealer in the closest city. I think my wife is going to hurt me if I schedule another in-home estimate. I'm really leaning toward the Carrier products since the sales rep was so confident, explained things...
  2. The old college try

One step away from the looney bin. Thanks for responses. This support group helps me keep my sanity. Now I'm more confused than ever. Had a guy from Carrier out the other day and he was very, very confident in recommending a 2-stage, variable 60,000 btu to provide the best balance of comfort...
  3. The old college try

Understood. I'm also trying to figure out if I should replace both furnace and a/c or just the furnace at this time. A/C is about 17 years old (10 seer). The Amana guy said that if I just did the furnace he would recommend a new coil be put in. The Lennox guy said that we could just replace...
  4. The old college try

That's the other thing I'm trying to figure out. The Amana guy told me that although Amana was bought by Goodman they are made in different places with different spec's. They look almost identical, though. The Amana unit was proposed with a 10 year parts/labor warranty / lifetime heat...
  5. The old college try

I need help weeding through the process of deciding on a furnace. I have a 23 year old Lennox Whisperheat that I'm thinking about replacing with a high efficiency system since I can get in on some rebate and tax credits. I've had three contractors in for quotes so far and I'm getting differing...
  6. The old college try

Direct Vent Stove Install/Ansi Rating

I have a used Free Standing Gas Stove that I'm looking to install in my basement. I spoke to the inspector on the phone today asking about permits needed and during the conversation he asked if the stove was UL certified or if it has a ANSI or ASTM rating. I didn't have the info at the time...
  7. The old college try

Testing Gas Fireplace

Anyone have and ideas on testing a free standing direct vent gas fireplace? It's a used unit that looks to be in good condition, but I have not seen it running and want to make sure that it works before I run a new gas line and bust a hole in my basement wall for the vent. I was thinking about...
  8. The old college try

Direct Vent Fireplace - Snorkel

Anyone have any experience with venting direct vent fireplaces? I picked up a gas free standing stove that I'm planning to install. I'll likely do the venting myself and have the gas line run down by someone else. It'll be a below grade installation, and Im quite sure I'll need a snorkel to...
  9. The old college try

Panel supply cable

I called my inspector yesterday and he was great to talk to. He said that he generally goes by the '5 foot rule' so as long as i'm under 5 feet I'm good to go. I'm glad I talked to him, because he mentioned about water/drain pipes running over the panel, and I have a 2" drain from my kitchen...
  10. The old college try

Panel supply cable

I appreciate the advice. For some reason I was starting to think that aluminum would be more dangerous than copper for the supply, but it's been here this long without problems, and I'm sure there are thousands of houses served by aluminum that haven't had any problems. Yeah, I didn't...
  11. The old college try

Panel supply cable

So, Speedy, do you think that I can possibly just leave the supply cable as-is? Any suggestions to make it safer? I could add a clamp half way from the entrance to the panel just to provide more support for the cable. I removed that water filter today, so there's really no reason for anyone to...
  12. The old college try

Panel supply cable

ng Hmm. I suppose I'll have to make a list of questions for him. The panel is really only 3 feet from where it enters my house. Is that really a long distance compared to what would be 'typically' acceptable? If I end up running a new cable from the meter to go in through the top of the...
  13. The old college try

Panel supply cable

Ok, well considering all that, do you suggest that I do anything with the cable, or just leave as is and run to the new panel?
  14. The old college try

Panel supply cable

So, can I just leave it as is? Also if it's exposed on the outside where it can get hit by weed wackers and stuff, is it really that bad to have exposed in the house, or should I still try to enclose it? Yes. The conduit runs up through the soffit to a mast about 2 feet above the roof where...
  15. The old college try

Panel supply cable

Well, I made a new discovery. I went out to look at the meter to see what size of conduit the cable is enclosed in. To my surprise, the cable down to the meter is in conduit, however the cable leading down from the meter along the exterior wall is not protected in conduit. It's exactly as...
  16. The old college try

Panel supply cable

Yeah, it's an 80 year old house, so it seems that every previous owner jacked things up more and more and time went on. I've had to fix alot of problems over the last 5 years.
  17. The old college try

Panel supply cable

I'm getting ready to replace my panel in the near future and I have a few things I'm still trying to figure out. From the picture can anyone tell me if it's ok to have the supply cable sweep down like it currently does into the panel, or will it need to be protected in conduit or something? Same...
  18. The old college try

Drain for Sauna

Well, I decided to go for it. I drilled about (8) 1/4" holes around the perimeter of the new opening and then I chiseled it out Shawshank Redemption style. Drilling works alot easier if you drill and small pilot hole first. Took about 40 minutes, but it worked out alright. I can't believe...
  19. The old college try

Drain for Sauna

I'm looking to build a sauna in my basement. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to place a floor drain in it to catch water thrown on heater and for occasionally rinsing it out. I don't have gravity sewer available, so I'm planning to run a 2" floor drain w/trap to the sump about 8 feet...
  20. The old college try

Gas line for Fireplace

Isolating branch line for testing So, I've been reviewing the NFPA code book (thanks a ton, bsperr) and based on the line sizing tables it appears that my existing 1" line from the meter will be large enough for the addition of a fireplace (based on the new line being the longest run - assuming...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks