Search results

1. Chris8796

Are there any types of side work you would rec to an apprentice?

I'd be a little worried after 5 years you feel over your head replumbing a house with pex. At least your honest with yourself. I would agree you are better off with other lines of sidework.
  2. Chris8796

Parallel wiring for dehumidistat in bathroom

It sounds like you better turn your AC off so you don't cost your grandchildren any more grief. On a side note, I'm not a fan of the humidty controlled fan idea. Although I do use an exhaust fan in the summer. The best solution I have found to the problem is to run the HVAC with the fan on...
  3. Chris8796

Critique my Electrical Plan

1. I don't see a 3-way to the top of the stairs. 2. I like more than one outlet in a bathroom, usually a double gang by the sink and one near the floor on the off wall. 3. Consider closet lighting 4. I would want another outlet below the TV on the wall 5. task lighting on the bar...
  4. Chris8796

Use a Thermostatic Mixing Valve in a Solar Hot Water heat dissipator

I know its late, but I would think the mxing valve would be plumbed before the solar panel. W would connect to the panel. H would be the return from the tank. C would be feed from the line coming off the panel. Tee into the line coming off the panel, one connection goes to tank the other goes...
  5. Chris8796

Calc Electric Tank Standby Losses

I would guess true standby tank loss would be very low. I would guess most losses occur through the piping. The exterior of a modern tank is at ambient temperature to the touch.
  6. Chris8796

Full House and other Flood Prevention Shut-Offs?

I installed a "watercop" after some flood problems. The main limitation is where and how many sensors you use. I also like the added benefit of having a switch to turn the water off. It is easy for the wife or kids to turn off the main in case of emergency. The ideal solution would be to have...
  7. Chris8796

Should I get a permit for a basement bathroom?

I don't think I would put much faith in the professionalism of "licensed guys", when they offer to violate their license and codes before the job is started. When I see large projects that were unpermitted, the first thing I think is "cheapskate". Not exactly the first impression you want to...
  8. Chris8796

Bird Feed Comparison, Target Kaytee and Costco

Legumes are a family of plants that are able to fix and utilize nitrogen directly from the air. Well-known legumes include alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, and peanuts. These plants add nitrogen back to the soil and are often used in crop rotation with plants that...
  9. Chris8796

Solar Hot water

Is this a spray on the roof type system?
  10. Chris8796

I've never had a problem with rabbits and herbs. At our house, they really like legumes, like peas and beans. These will not survive at all without fencing. One of the most annoying things we've had rabbits do, is take one bite out of every strawberry as soon as the show any signs of ripening...
  11. Chris8796

"Huge" , but its funnier to have a large woodpecker named Hugh.
  12. Chris8796

You name your woodpeckers? Was he named after Hugh Heffner?
  13. Chris8796

Most cavity-nester bird groups (blue bird, purple martins, tree swallows) recommend the killing of Starlings. Starlings will often destroy eggs or kill nestlings of native cavity nesters. House sparrows are another non native that causes alot of problems for native cavity nesters. Both are...
  14. Chris8796

I've had the best luck with buying bags of individual seed types, rather than mixes. I get most stuff at our local wild birds unlimited. We also get too many undesireables if put out something with cracked corn or millet in it. By combining specific seeds with different feeder types you have...
  15. Chris8796

Subpanel Neutral & Ground On Same Bar?

The best solution would be to run a ground wire from the main panel to the sub panel. But since this is a dedicated circuit to a AC condenser I wouldn't be terribly worried about wiring it as proposed. I would agree an addditional grounding rod is not the solution.
  16. Chris8796

Number of circuits in living room

I would want 2 receptacles circuits available to the LR, although they need not be dedicated to only the LR. Another big power user in the LR is a vacuum cleaner, most use 12 amps. I have a central vac and the powerhead still uses 7 amps.
  17. Chris8796

Water Sensor

I use the watercop system to stop plumbing leaks. Its expensive, but I like all the functionality. It's nice to have a switch at the top of the basement stairs to turn off all water, It also can connect to other security or control systems. I got mine after moving the laundry to the second floor...
  18. Chris8796

Crazy gray water recycling idea

I personally wouldn't want a switching type system in the house. I think the easyiest and most code friendly solution is to move your water use outside and combine it with passive drain distribution system (leech field like system). Move your prep sink and shower outside, I've seen several of...
  19. Chris8796

Low Pressure On 1 Sprinkler Head

Have you checked the valve for problems? Some valves have built in filters, which can become clogged. Does the valve have flow control and is it opened up?
  20. Chris8796

Adding 2nd holding tank as pre-heat for incoming water

You don't mention your furnace type or your water heater type, but its not going to be much more efficient. You don't mention what your goal is, save money, add capacity, etc. If you use a decent amount of hot water, especially for showering, I'd consider a drain heat recovery unit. I have...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks