Search results

1. BS

Skinny Deep Junction Box

Hello. We're replacing our wall oven and need to relocate the junction box to accommodate the new unit. The existing supply line (#8-3 with #10 ground) will barely reach the new location and the box needs to be recessed in the wall. I won't have access to the wall until the installer comes...
  2. BS

Cooktop Igniter Clicks when Light is Switched

As part of a kitchen remodel a year ago I dedicated a 20 amp, 120 volt branch circuit for the sole use of the gas cooktop and the vent hood above it. Each of these appliances is plug-and-cord connected to its own duplex outlet and there is no lighting or other load on the circuit (12/2 with...
  3. BS

Tank Tee Leak

I have a Well-X-Trol WX-202 pressure tank for my well water system that probably is as old as the house: 13 years. Pressure-wise, it is working well. A few weeks ago I replaced the tank tee because the outlet of the old one had developed a crack and was leaking. I used Rectorseal 5 pipe...
  4. BS

Filter Installation

Our raw well water has a hydrogen sulfide taste and odor problem. A point-of-use charcoal filter at the kitchen tap has solved the problem there. Our neighbor has solved the same problem with two whole house charcoal filters and we want to do the same. This weekend I'm planning to install...
  5. BS

Water Treatment Questions

We just moved from New England where we had a well that produced outstanding quality water; the only treatment was a sediment filter. The well in our new Ohio home is over 100' deep and the only treatment is a water softener which is about half-full of salt and appears to be functioning, though...
  6. BS

House Hunting Electrical Questions

My wife and I are house hunting in another state and have found a 9-year old house we like very much. But yellow flags have gone up on two electrical situations. Of course, if we decide to bid on this house we'll have an inspector check these out, but I'd like to get your opinions before we...
  7. BS

Repair Fitting for ABS Pipe

I just installed a base for a replacement shower and connected the drain to the existing ABS pipe stub coming up from the trap with a cemented coupling. There's a tiny leak from the bottom of this coupling. There's precious little room available on the stub for cutting out the coupling and...
  8. BS

Chrome Sleeve for Angle Valve Flange?

My existing angle valve (shut off valve) for my toilet is a bit corroded, especially the chrome plated PIPE (brass?). I know I could heat it and remove it and sweat a new one on, but I'm concerned about two things. One is that the copper stub-out coming out of the wall is curved to form a...
  9. BS

Roof Leaks Downslope of Penetrations

This is not exactly a remodeling question but the problem is the result of some home improvement. Eight years ago I replaced my 20-year old roof, stripping everything off the roof sheathing, placing felt, and installing three-tab fiberglass shingles. A couple years later I added a couple...
  10. BS

Adjusting Bath Drain Trip Lever

I recently installed a Gerber bath drain with a trip lever in a new bathtub, but I've been unable to adjust it so that the tub holds water without leakage. The other night I left about 40 gallons in the tub and the last of it drained out about 10-11 hours later. What's the trick? BTW...
  11. BS

Poly Slip-Joint Washer: Which Direction?

Which direction should a poly slip-joint washer be installed: pointing (up) toward the tailpiece or pointing (down) in the direction of water flow? - Bernie
  12. BS

Tile, Flange, Shims, & Wax Ring

Yesterday one of my toilets (Kohler Wellworth) started leaking under the base only when flushed. I just pulled the toilet and found the wax ring (with horn) pushed down on the leaking (left) side and up on the other. The wax above the plastic horn on the low (left) side was just about gone...
  13. BS

Swanstone Wall Panels

I'm getting ready to install Swanstone bathtub wall panels and have a few questions for those who have experience with these. I've removed the original fiberglas surround and left the 21" of drywall that was above it to the ceiling. I'll be installing new drywall over the exposed studs so...
  14. BS

Insulate a Bathtub?

In the course of my bathroom remodeling research the past month or so, I've come across only a couple references to stuffing fiberglas insulation in the voids around the tub: one was to cut down on tub noise, the other to retain heat. How many of you pros do this? Are there any tricks for...
  15. BS

No Room to Sweat

I'll be replacing the rough-in valve for my tub-shower. The hot and cold copper supply lines are 6 inches apart on center, meaning that the ends of the elbows that turn toward the valve are about 4 inches apart from each other. Between each elbow and the existing valve inlet is a little less...
  16. BS

Slip-on or Screw-on Spout?

I'm remodeling my bathroom and need to replace the tub and shower trim and, of course, the rough-in valve and plumbing. I can get the trim we've chosen with either a slip-on tub spout or a screw-on spout. Other than the ease of installation of the slip-on spout, is there any advantage to one...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks