Search results

1. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Thanks a lot. I thought I needed to replace that brass looking portion under the tub, because someone was saying one nut was significantly corroded and the other was missing. I thought maybe I was supposed to replace all that, along with the dwv underneath?
  2. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Also, how can I replace the overflow pipe on the bathtub? Is that something I can access from below?
  3. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Thanks to both of you. If it doesn’t smell in the bathrooms, does that mean there is no issue, or that it possibly is a very small amount? I guess I wonder what the danger level is, kind of like different levels of radon. Methane is odorless, though. So there’s that. I am planning on repiping...
  4. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Thanks I’m going to read through it all, again. I’m trying to learn as much as I can. Is the sole reason I am replacing the shower and tub drain so that the traps don’t have their liquid siphoned from them, and gas enters the living space? I haven’t had any issues with the tub or shower draining.
  5. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Great. Thanks. Do you have a picture of an optimal drop from a bathtub or shower drain? How long should the drop be before the p-trap is attached? How far above will the lines that come back from the shower and bathtub be above the horizontal run?
  6. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Thanks. 1. Did someone mention earlier in the thread that the shower drains were too high to be wet vented by the horizontal drain? Does putting the p-traps in assist in that situation? 2. If I am planning on renovating both bathrooms within the next few years, is it a bad idea to redo the...
  7. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

So the wye will be 45 degrees pointed towards the back WC? The reason I didn’t use the pro flex couplings was two fold. One, it seemed like one side fit cast iron, and didn’t fit the ABS. Two, it had a rubber stopper in the middle. I can’t slide it completely over one pipe, butt up the other...
  8. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

It looks like there is about 14 1/2 inches between the two joists in that bay. There are also 2 copper water pipes above the 3 inch horizontal drain, as you can see in the picture with the WC right above the 3 inch horizontal drain. What do you think the best configuration for the 2 WCs is? You...
  9. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Thanks for all the great info. I read it over a few times. I am going to look at my plumbing tomorrow and associate it with what you said. I will get back to you with follow-up questions.
  10. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

The just run between bathrooms. I added some in the picture. The piping for the toilet in the bigger bathroom is right in between the joists. The toilet in the small bathroom is 2 or 3 inches closer to one of the joists. The downstream horizontal run is directly below the toilet in the larger...
  11. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

I have attached another drawing. Watching the 2 minute video would have been helpful. There is roughly 3 feet of space between each fixture in their respective bathrooms. The roof vent is between the 2 sinks and goes to the roof.
  12. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

I know what was said. I said I tried to make an isometric drawing, and it didn’t come out right. I have tried multiple times. I am not going to spend several days learning isometric drawings for something like that. It isn’t necessary. That is why there is a video, pictures, and the best drawing...
  13. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Lots of good info here. What do you guys think?
  14. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Thank you for the great info. That is the kind of helpful stuff I’m looking for. Actually, Jeff, I printed isometric paper and tried to do it. I couldn’t figure it out with all the different angles, and the horizontal pipe going straight up to a toilet, along with some other things. Therefore...
  15. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Care to elaborate? You have been providing quite short answers. That saddle is original to the plumbing in the house from the 70s. It is my understanding that 1 vent pipe can vent many fixtures. The vent connects to the horizontal run. If the toilets are also connected to the horizontal run on...
  16. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Ok, so I think I figured it all out. The picture I attached earlier that shows to the right with the saddle valve… What if the end of that line goes to the sink, AND up to the vent? It is a 3 inch pipe. If it just went to a sink, it would be smaller. I checked inside the vanity of the sink, and...
  17. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Ok, but I still haven’t seen the vent, except from outside the house, above where the toilets are. I looked at the ABS s-trap picture some more. It appears that the shower farther back in the picture has a PVC s-trap. I still have no clue where the plumbing vent above the toilets on the roof...
  18. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Thanks. That helped my knowledge base. The reason I don’t want to cut the ceiling underneath the last shower we can’t see, is because it’s a high ceiling that is on stairs. I don’t have a fancy ladder that can handle that, and I don’t want to spend money on something like that for a 1 time use...
  19. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

With that said, why do toilets need a vent then, if they always have water? I thought no vents cause air pressure issues, like vacuum?
  20. NeedPlumbingHelp

How to Repipe

Will I be able to redo plumbing under the showers without tearing them out? The thing that seems strange, is, I went outside and looked at the roof vent, again, and the vent appears to line up with the toilet, not the shower. There is no piping that goes up to a vent from where the toilets...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks