Search results

1. alexjag33

Ceiling Trim Problem

I have a very noticeable outer corner in a kitchen- this outer corner is on a built-in pantry coming out of the wall. See my crude ascii illustration. This is a top view. ___________ ..........| ..........| Pantry ..........|________ ...................| ...................|...
  2. alexjag33

Furnace Makes Noise on Startup

Hi all. My furnace works OK, but when it starts up, the metal air corridor "expands" and makes a noise like it is inflating. It sounds like a sheet of flexible metal being waved in the wind or something. When the furnace shuts off, I hear a quieter "deflate" noise, similar to the previous...
  3. alexjag33

Remodeling a 70s Kitchen, Tiling Advice

My latest project is remodeling a hideous 70s kitchen. The countertop is relatively new- it is a preformed countertop with a backsplash. This part will stay. The kitchen back wall behind the countertop is a set of hideous wood panels that would be a bear to remove. I thought of just...
  4. alexjag33

My New Bar/Kitchenette

I'm a remodeling novice- this was my first ever kitchen remodel. This is my entertainment bar/kitchenette. It is a porcelain countertop and wall with an oil-rubbed bronze Price-Pfister. The kitchen cabinets have undermount lights. I'll have more pics soon, but there's some tools and stuff I...
  5. alexjag33

Allergens in Upholstery

I recently moved some old couches from a relative's house to my basement. Now, I sneeze whenever I get near one of the couches. Is there something I can do to remove the musty smell & allergens from the couch? Is there a spray or something that anyone here can recommend?
  6. alexjag33

Covering up an ugly basement floor

Can I Save My "New Basement" Party? :( I've been working on my basement for a long time. It is done- well, almost. The carpet has been delayed. Problem is, I planned my "New Basement" party a while ago. The carpet will not get here in time. The concrete basement floor now has 2 years of...
  7. alexjag33

I Don't Trust Compression Fitting Valves

Hi all. I'm about to install a new faucet. The guy at the Home Depot recommended that I use shutoff valves with compresion fittings that fit on 1/2" copper pipe. I have hot and cold copper pipes (1/2") coming out of the wall. So far so good. I took a test piece of 1/2" pipe and tried to...
  8. alexjag33

Countertops, flush edges

Hi everyone. I've begun a tile countertop project. For the prep work, I've already cut the plywood and backer board. I haven't yet attached the backer board on top of the plywood. Problem is, when I rest the backer on top of the plywood, there are a few places that the two are not quite...
  9. alexjag33

Want to add new insulation to basement

I've framed my basement and now need to add insulation. I've read one book that says to put up fiberglass batts and then install a plastic vapor barrier. I'm told by other sources that this method encourages mold and is no longer the preferred method. Another book I have says the "new...
  10. alexjag33

Novice plumber needs advice on Tee fitting into copper

I've been installing PEX in my basement with those shark bites fittings. But I needed to cut into two 3/4" copper lines in order to start the pex runs. So I cut into the lines and ran the Pex. Problem is, the copper is so stiff I can't join the severed lines back together with any type of...
  11. alexjag33

Sump Pump Gurgling Sound

Hi. I have a sump pump and backup sump pump in the same pit. The contraption works fine. However, When the pump shuts off I hear a loud gurgling sound, which I think is the sound of the water rushing back down the entire length of the pipe. (The outlet is near the ceiling in my basement, so...
  12. alexjag33

Basement Sink addition

I'm starting a basement remodel, and I've been toying with the idea of adding a kitchenette with a sink along a diagonal wall. Problem is, how do I drain it? My basement is different than most. For example... (See attached image as I explain this) I know how I'm going to build the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks