Search results

1. RochNY

Cast Iron Crack

Actually the hub is 4 inches above.
  2. RochNY

Cast Iron Crack

Hj Hey HJ, are those cracks that are several feet log are they all bound to leak? I have a hub about 10 inches above the crack. Not sure how soon I need to replace this.
  3. RochNY

Cast Iron Crack

Since there is a possibility of a best case scenario that it is not getting any worse and it is not leaking, is there a way to prevent the crack from running any farther? I've read some people have tried J.B weld or even bondo on leaking cracks. Would this be feasible for preventing a...
  4. RochNY

Cast Iron Crack

Yeah I'm sure it is not a seam. I haven't noticed it getting much bigger over the last few months. What is the best way to fix something like this? Thanks again.
  5. RochNY

Cast Iron Crack

I noticed a small (2 inch long) crack(s) above the neoprene sleeve where they hooked pvc drain pipe to the existing cast iron pipe from the toilet above it. I think the crack(s) is from the snap cutters used to cut the old cast iron pipe out. Is this common when using a snap cutter? It is not...
  6. RochNY

Danco Plumbers Waterproof Grease vs Danco Plumbers Silicone Grease

Is there a preference/difference between these two? Lowes had both and I couldn't get an answer from them. Thanks for any replies.
  7. RochNY

Redo stack or not? Pictures depict my problem

That has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read...
  8. RochNY

The Dreaded Delta Bonnet

I have the ball type valve....Ok Cass I will give the PB a try...I saw that you liked to use it on the other thread. Someone also recommended tapping around the nut until it comes lose. I will try that or the channel locks with the PB blaster spray. Hey Mark is there a special technique to saw...
  9. RochNY

The Dreaded Delta Bonnet

Hello, I read a really good thread on this subject here a while back. I have a stuck Delta Bonnet on my shower. HJ says to apply heat to the bonnet to get it off. My question is how much heat do I generally apply and do I hold my channel locks on at the same time? Not quite sure of the...
  10. RochNY

SharkBite connectors

Are these fittings going to last as long as a compression fitting? The O ring inside seems like it would fail over time (hopefully not a short time)
  11. RochNY

Water Heater Leaking on Top at In/Oututs

I just installed a new tank myself a few months ago and had the same problem on the cold side. Luckily, I put in ball valve shutoffs on the hot and cold side. So the fix only took me a few minutes. I cut the copper pipe and re-doped and tightened the nipple down tighter than it was before. I got...
  12. RochNY

Newbie sweating pipes

I use Taramet Sterling solder with great results. It has the lowest melting point out there and gives us "rookies" a pro looking joint . I've had mixed results with Oatey solder.
  13. RochNY

white or wheat bread....

If you open a high faucet and a low faucet to drain down the pipes, and are working somewhere near the lowest point, won't it take forever to drain all of the water out of a horizontal pipe? (there always seems to be a "trickle" left) How do the pro's get around this problem so quickly? Thanks...
  14. RochNY

white or wheat bread....

If there is a long horizontal span of pipe and you cut it in the middle it will always have a "trickle" of water. How can you get around it with out using bread? Thanks for any replies.
  15. RochNY

Vacation water shutoff?

I have a ball valve shutoff just after the main shutoff. If I shut this one off (which will turn off the whole house) do I need to open any faucets or leave it as is?
  16. RochNY

Vacation water shutoff?

I have a gas furnace (high eff) and a basement and plan to keep the house at about 60-62 ish. I normally keep the temp at 68.
  17. RochNY

Vacation water shutoff?

I plan on taking a trip out of frigid (and snowy) upstate N.Y. for about 10 days and plan on lowering down the heat to about 62 ish. I have a concern about some of my pipes possibly freezing (I haven't been through a full winter in this house yet so I'm not sure if the potential is there)...
  18. RochNY

Tell me how to protect my computer

Windows xp firewall does not slow a computer down, it must be something else. An alternate would be to get a router which sends out a fake IP address which is better than a firewall.
  19. RochNY

Dsl

DSL has issues with how far you are from the office. The closer the faster your connection will be. Right now we can pull about 6 meg to about 3 miles out from the office or DL. There other things such as bridge taps on the line and inside wiring configurations that can slow the connection down...
  20. RochNY

Dsl

Good guess Molo, you got me. There something to be said about going local for service, our tech support goes to Canada after hours and we will send a guy out to tweak the lines/computer if we have to. I have heard horror stories about the calls to India.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks