Search results

1. GabeS

Putting holes in second story floor joists

ask your local building department.
  2. GabeS

Putting holes in second story floor joists

Isn't there an easier location to place the toilet? Does it have to be in a location where the plumbing is going to be a hell of a job? Like the previous poster noted, by the time you account for the slope, the last hole will probably be a notch (which is prohibited in the middle 2/3 span...
  3. GabeS

Can I install outlets/switches before drywall?

They are energized. That is the point of why he needs them there before the drywall is up. Even if they weren't, it would still be a good idea to tape them while there is no power.
  4. GabeS

Not sure if my post was clear enough. What I meant was to connect the wiring to the outlet and switches but do NOT screw the receptacle or switch to the box. Leave it suspended in the air. The drywallers will measure to the box and mark the cuts on the drywall since they will not be able to hang...
  5. GabeS

Yes you can. Do not screw them to the box, just leave them loose so that when the drywaller cuts the hole for it, he can maneuver the switch/oultlet through the hole. Also, I think it would be wise to black tape around the terminal screws a few rounds so that there is no accidental contact.
  6. GabeS

forum font

Terry, Can you please change the font and website back to the way it used to be. It's taking me longer to navigate the site. I was so used to the old font. Thank you. Gabe
  7. GabeS

waterproofing before tile

I would advise that you do some research on these new products since they can make your life a lot easier. It wouldn't hurt you to give some of them a try. It's just a matter of getting comfortable with them. You're only comfortable with your current methods because that's what you are used to...
  8. GabeS

Help needed for 5 x 8 Bathroom Remodel

No problem. The clear plastic vapor barrier gets directly stapled to the studs before the CBU. Leave it long and let it hang over the tub. Then install the CBU and cut the excess plastic with a razor as Jim suggested. Yes, you should install the plastic on the exterior walls also. Also...
  9. GabeS

Help needed for 5 x 8 Bathroom Remodel

The CBU can go up to the top of the tub flange as Jim suggested. Another option, which is more work for you, but my preferred method, is to shim out the wall flush to the tub flange or a little more outward than the flange. Then when you install the CBU, put shims on the tub and rest the CBU...
  10. GabeS

paintbrush cleaning

How do you guys clean your caked up paintbrushes? Let's hear your ideas and methods. Gabe
  11. GabeS

10 Immutable Laws of Home Repair

Tell me about it. Sometimes it is truly unbelievable, some of the stuff that happens. I go out and play the lotto after something like that happens, because I feel like I have better chances of winning the lotto than what just occurred.
  12. GabeS

water leaking out of tub??

I still can't figure out how to quote only a portion of someone's post.
  13. GabeS

I suppose I should ask which part of Brooklyn you're in, none of this might be close to you... I know I asked you before, ages ago, but I don't remember. I'm in Greenwood. That's very close to me. I will get them when I have a chance. I know it won't be pretty, but I don't think I have a...
  14. GabeS

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get them? I googled water wings, and a bunch of swim aids for kids came up.
  15. GabeS

load bearing

18' sounds like a long span to me for 2x8's if they are 16" on center. I'm not for sure though. According to what you are saying I would agree. Since the header is a load bearing part of the wall, but in your case you are saying it's not load bearing wall. Probably better to just agree with the...
  16. GabeS

Tell me that I have not just stumped the plumbing world with this question.
  17. GabeS

Sub-Panel Neutral and Ground Bonded

If the neutrals and ground are joined then you could get current on the ground wires. The ground should not carry current. Do you mean that you have a three wire plus ground coming into the panel? Two wire and ground would only be 110 volts. Jar, why do you recommend to leave it alone? Isn't...
  18. GabeS

Replacing subfloors, lots of questions

Not that difficult to level it off with the rest. Just add some luan or rosin paper under the hardwood finish flooring. I mean if more than 2/3's of the floor is bad (can't imagine that being the case) then by all means rip up the extra leftover, otherwise patch it up. Also, another...
  19. GabeS

Replacing subfloors, lots of questions

I would only replace the rotting sections. No need to replace the entire sublfloor if most of it is in good shape. I don't see the logic in that. If the subfloor under you 2x4 exteriors walls is rotting that could raise some issues since that wall is resting on the subfloor. If it's only a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks