Search results

1. jacksmith7

Another Bathroom Rough-In Question

Please look at the attached picture and tell me if my rough-in is correct. Thanks.
  2. jacksmith7

Heating and Bending DWV PVC

I'm in need of an irregular bend. Does the code allow heating and bending DWV PVC as long as it doesn't kink?
  3. jacksmith7

Please Critique DWV Mock-Up

Please review the attached picture of what I mocked up for our pole barn bathroom and let me know if it is correct. Thanks for any help/advice.
  4. jacksmith7

San Tee Backwards

We roughed in the plumbing for a bathroom in our boat house (pole barn) and the san tee for the shower/toilet vent was installed backwards. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until I reviewed the pictures after the plumbing was all buried. Since this will be a dry vent, is there any problem...
  5. jacksmith7

Bathroom and Washer in Pole Barn

I'm putting a standard 5X7 bathroom in my pole barn containing a shower, toilet, and utility sink (in place of a normal Lav). On the opposite side of one wall, I'm plumbing for a clothes washer. I plan to run a vent to the shower, and vent the utility sink and washer together using the method...
  6. jacksmith7

Toilet Flange too High

I know this is a common topic, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my specific question. My basement was roughed in for a bathroom and, after I put down the tile, I cut the 4" PVC stack off flush with the surface of the tile thinking the toilet flange would be resting on top of the tile...
  7. jacksmith7

Cover for Basement Floor Drain

Is there a basement floor drain cover that has connections for hoses from the A/C drain, water softener drains, etc? With so many homes having this need, it would seem odd if there isn't such a thing. I had a water softener installed and the installer just shoved the hoses into the floor drain...
  8. jacksmith7

Odor in Water after Plumber...

I had a water softener installed yesterday by a plumber who did not clean the copper pipe and fittings. When I questioned him about it, he said he didn't need to as he was using a self-cleaning flux (the brand was Hercules). I also noticed the plumber was not heating the fittings, but...
  9. jacksmith7

Installing Water Softener

I'm installing a water softener that has to be about 45' (as the pipe runs) from where the main line enters the basement. Currently, there is a branch-off from the main line about halfway...this supplies the master bath. I plan to cut the main line just before it branches off to the master...
  10. jacksmith7

Carrying Water Away from Foundation

This may not be the proper place for this post, but I'll try it anyway. I want to run 4" underground drains for all my downspouts and sump pump discharge. The drains will empty into drainage ditch behind my house. My question is, which PVC would work best for this? I thought about using...
  11. jacksmith7

Pipe to Shower Arm Drop Fitting

I'm installing a bathroom with shower in my basement. With the faucet pulled tight against the wall of the fiberglass shower unit, the pipe going to the shower head is not plumb. Between the faucet and the top of the pipe, it leans back (away from the shower wall) about 3/4". I could leave it...
  12. jacksmith7

Toilet Drain - Rough-In Distance from Wall

I know a toilet should be roughed in 12" from the finished wall to center of the drain pipe. Unfortunately, whoever plumbed our new house cut that distance short with the basement rough-in, and only allowed 11". I don't want to use a 10" rough-in toilet and prefer not to use an offset flange. Do...
  13. jacksmith7

Water Hammer Arrestors

I plumbed a bathroom in my basement and did not put in hammer arrestors. I've heard so much about how site-built arrestors (consisting of a length of copper with a cap on it at each faucet) become ineffective very quickly that I elected to leave them out. If I have a hammering problem in the...
  14. jacksmith7

Laundry/Utility Sink

I'm looking for a 20 gallon polyfoam laundry sink the can be mounted on the wall. I've found a few on the Internet, but was wondering if anyone has recommendations. It must be at least 20 gallon capacity as we use it to bathe our dog. Thank you.
  15. jacksmith7

Compression Ball Valve

I'm not a plumber...just a homeowner hack, but I've always been leary of using a compression-type valve for 3/4" pipe and larger. After reading many posts on Terry's website where people use and recommend compression valves, I decided to use compression ball valves as the main shutoff to the...
  16. jacksmith7

Rubber Seat Washers in Shutoff Valve

When our house was built, the plumber installed 3/4" copper runs to the bathroom rough-in in the basement. At the end of each run, he put a shutoff valve with rubber seat washers; the valves also have the small drain cock on the side containing a rubber seal. When I sweat the outlet pipe to...
  17. jacksmith7

Sump Pump Drain Fitting

There is a special PVC fitting that connects to the 1-1/2" sump pump discharge pipe on the outside of the house. The fitting transitions from 1-1/2" to 4" PVC, but the unique thing about it is there are slots at the top to provide an air gap and to allow water to exit should there be a clog in...
  18. jacksmith7

Ideal Water Pressure

I've heard that home water pressure should be 50 - 75 psi. What is ideal? Thanks. Jack
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks