Shower help please is hubby right?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYMissus

Reaction score
Hi we're installing a new shower pan and need to move the drain. Hubby says we should connect to the old trap I think we should remove it and run a new drain tying into the existing line.

Also can the shower pan be secured to the nailer strips in the ICF wall?

Thanks in advance.
Cynthia

Attachments

• 20240503_132801.jpg
    20240503_132801.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240502_102428.jpg
    20240502_102428.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 40

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where does that horizontal pipe go? It's piped incorrectly and should be repiped anyway.

If that horizontal pipe is also a drain for the lavatory then you just need to change the fitting type. If it's a dry vent it needs reconfigured.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see how you would keep the existing trap, and feed it from the red circle location.

DIYMissus

Reaction score
Where does that horizontal pipe go? It's piped incorrectly and should be repiped anyway.

If that horizontal pipe is also a drain for the lavatory then you just need to change the fitting type. If it's a dry vent it needs reconfigured.
Thanks for your help It's a dry vent - I marked it. The drain goes directly to the main sewer line .

Attachments

• 20240503_132801.jpg
    20240503_132801.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 31

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for your help It's a dry vent - I marked it. The drain goes directly to the main sewer line .
So a dry vent needs to come off the drain vertically, and isn't allowed to go horizontal until 6" above the fixture flood rim. Therefore your shower vent needs to be redone, in the context of which relocating your shower trap is a small matter.

Cheers, Wayne

DIYMissus

Reaction score
So a dry vent needs to come off the drain vertically, and isn't allowed to go horizontal until 6" above the fixture flood rim. Therefore your shower vent needs to be redone, in the context of which relocating your shower trap is a small matter.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you I'm looking at some proper schematics. Since this is an ICF house I see why they didn't run the vent up an exterior wall.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you I'm looking at some proper schematics. Since this is an ICF house I see why they didn't run the vent up an exterior wall.
It doesn't need to be an exterior wall. Any wall will do. You need to start with a location you can run a dry vent or a location where you can cut into the bathroom group piping to convert to a horizontal wet vent configuration.

DIYMissus

Reaction score
I'm sorry I wasn't clear i should have said the logical place would have been to run the vent up inside the exterior wall directly behind the shower drain . Converting to a wet vent is beyond my current skill level tbh. I think I see a straightforward way to keep it as a dry vent I will post a picture tomorrow Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Converting to a wet vent is beyond my current skill level tbh. I think I see a straightforward way to keep it as a dry vent I will post a picture tomorrow Thanks again.
A wet vent is not as complex as it sounds. It is pretty much joining the lavatory drain to the trap arm, which wet vents the shower.