I Replaced Pressure Reducing Valve, leaking? & Pressure Q.

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYgirlPower

Reaction score
Hi,
I replaced 30yo Wilkins water regulator with the exact same model- Zurn Wilkins 114 600xl - installation was fairly simple. *I did use the old tailpiece & Union bc they appeared to be fine.
(I also noted a PRV at pipe right there near Pressure Reducing Valve was completely rusted corroded & non-functional- so I replaced that too!!)

***Possible Problem---
Upon turning on water, the fittings were all dry but the ACTUAL REGULATOR ITSELF, WAS LEAKING FROM THE STRAINER CAP GASKET.
I decided it was minimal, & went ahead & opened up faucets inside to let out any air, then I checked Pressure at back hose bib, 56psi!!! :)
I was thrilled!
After 1hr, rechecked pressure, remain 56! -back to check newly installed Pressure Reduce Valve, NO LEAK!! It's dry to touch! It is still dry 15hrs later.

*****Q#1-- why did it leak initially? Should I be concerned about that? Do I have a possibly defective product?

****Q#2-- Pressure Gauge reading-- is this normal for house water pressure?? --->When rechecked Pressure in am, still 56, but with washing machine on- down to 54, turned on faucet same time & down to 52- but back up to 54 when faucet turned off. Pressure reads 56 again when washer off.

I just want to make sure everything is good!
Thanks in advance! Appreciate it :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170426_180136838.jpg
    IMG_20170426_180136838.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20170426_184228007.jpg
    IMG_20170426_184228007.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_20170426_184458358.jpg
    IMG_20170426_184458358.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll venture a guess that a gasket in the PRV was leaking but sealed when it got wet. As long it is not leaking, don't fix it. I would also guess the thermal expansion tank is as old the the original PRV and may become a problem. Just watch for symptoms like the T/P on the water heater opening. I wouldn't replace it until it fails. Sounds like you're good.

DIYgirlPower

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Gary!
I read warranty & I have 12mos to return valve if defective, so will keep an eye in it for now.
Thanks for expansion tank info.

*Re water pressure readings, I'm assuming that the water pressure gauge readings are normal?

Have a good day

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You mentioned your toilets leaked, and other leaks which indicates you need a thermal expansion tank. Those leaks were dealing with the high pressure rise due to the water heater. I'm surprised your T/P didn't open, or perhaps it did and you either didn't know it or the leaks were enough to deal with the pressure rise.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any system leak could be enough to prevent the pressure from rising enough for the T&P valve to open. If you solve those leaks, and do not have a functional ET, then, if the T&P valve doesn't open, you probably have a problem. Depending on your main water pressure before the PRV, and IF the PRV has a relief valve in it, the relief valve could prevent the water from getting higher than the supply pressure. A functioning ET prevents those pressure excursions, and should be in the system.

IF there are any screws or bolts around where that leaking gasket was, I'd consider torqueing them down a bit. It shouldn't have leaked, but are you sure it wasn't just condensation?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks