What type pipe for plumbing well house? PVC unions? CSV placment?

Users who are viewing this thread

sherrod624

Reaction score
My existing well(1hp 25gpm submersible pump) was plumbed up with 1-1/4" galvanized from the drop pipe to the pressure tank and then poly out to the old house. I'm redoing the whole thing except not replacing the drop pipe. I planed on using pvc but I was raised to have a disliking for pvc unions. And because of that I have never used any. I've got 200' of 1-1/2" 200psi CTS PE from the well to the house.

Any issue with using pvc to plumb this up?

How do you guys feel about pvc unions?

Would it be worth switching from pvc to a brass union with a male adapter and then back to pvc?

does it matter if I install my CSV(CSV1A) horizontal or vertical?

thanks for your help

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

I presume you don't have a pitless. Wilson county shows a 4 inch frost line. A pitless adapter makes it easy to pull a pump. You might consider that the next time you get the pump pulled, you could consider putting in a pitless and maybe a PVC drop pipe. With a pitless, a union would not be used. The freeze protection would be a bonus that might be useful some day.

If you are keeping the well seal, I don't have a suggestion for a union.

sherrod624

Reaction score
I'm just learning about wells, so bare with me. I have a 6'x8' walk in pump house. it sits on top of a concrete well head(?). this was an existing pad/well that I built a new pump house on. I considered a pitless but I wanted my pressure tank in the pump house and with the concrete well head it looked like ALOT of work to put it in. I'm not sure of the depth of the well, or the depth of the pump but I do know that when the well was dug it was rated at 150gpm. It also runs over from time to time. I checked the water level with a piece of wire a few months ago and the water level at that time was around 2' below grade. there is another well on an adjacent property that was rated at 250+gpm, immeasurable at the time.

I possibly wasn't clear that I'm plumbing from the drop pipe-csv-pressure tank all in one location, in the pump house.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Nothing wrong with PVC unions on a pressure system. I just don't like them on a suction line. Those smaller size CSV's can be installed in any position you want. And yes it would be hard to put a pitless where there is already a slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks