Purolite c100e

Users who are viewing this thread

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It appears you are not understanding the way a softener works.

The brine/slow rinse cycle is two cycles.

The brine draw "sucks" the brine water out of the salt tank and down through the resin bed. This is done very slowly. Usual amount of time is about 15-20 minutes. When the water in the salt tank runs out, the system continues to push water through the venturi injection system which is called "Slow rinse". The salt is pushed through the resin with raw water which slowly displaces the salty water. This process usually takes 3-4 times the original drawing time to fully displace the salty water.

1: Backwash loosens the bed, ejects worn/broken resin beads dust, silt, dirt etc, that is collected during service.
2: Brine/Slow rinse draws the brine water in (brine) and then slowly rinses the excess salty water out of the resin slowly (slow rinse)
3: 2nd backwash is common but is not that important except in downflow brine systems with low salting... don't worry about this cycle for your application)
4: Rapid Rinse packs the bed down and ensures clean soft water when the system comes back online
5: Timed brine refill refills the salt tank with a predetermined amount of water for the next regeneration.

You were tasting salt at 60 minutes which means you injector size is smaller than usual but... increase the brine/slow rinse cycle accordingly so that the water is completely non salty at the end. I am guessing 90-120 minutes would be fine.

Matt Williams

Reaction score
It appears you are not understanding the way a softener works.

The brine/slow rinse cycle is two cycles.

The brine draw "sucks" the brine water out of the salt tank and down through the resin bed. This is done very slowly. Usual amount of time is about 15-20 minutes. When the water in the salt tank runs out, the system continues to push water through the venturi injection system which is called "Slow rinse". The salt is pushed through the resin with raw water which slowly displaces the salty water. This process usually takes 3-4 times the original drawing time to fully displace the salty water.

1: Backwash loosens the bed, ejects worn/broken resin beads dust, silt, dirt etc, that is collected during service.
2: Brine/Slow rinse draws the brine water in (brine) and then slowly rinses the excess salty water out of the resin slowly (slow rinse)
3: 2nd backwash is common but is not that important except in downflow brine systems with low salting... don't worry about this cycle for your application)
4: Rapid Rinse packs the bed down and ensures clean soft water when the system comes back online
5: Timed brine refill refills the salt tank with a predetermined amount of water for the next regeneration.

You were tasting salt at 60 minutes which means you injector size is smaller than usual but... increase the brine/slow rinse cycle accordingly so that the water is completely non salty at the end. I am guessing 90-120 minutes would be fine.
AH! I thought the resin absorbed and held the salt. 2 cycles in 1 understood.
Since it tasted salty after 15 minutes of slow rinse (minutes 30-45) that's normal.... ?
Then there was no salt taste minutes 45-60.
So if no salt taste minutes 45-60 why slow rinse that long?

Matt Williams

Reaction score
Sorry. A lot on my mind.... 1/2gpm valve. It's new. And I did hear hissing from the head/valve during entire regeneration.
It's new.
Drew correct amount first 30 min of draw/slow rinse. Minutes 30-45 salt taste, good, it should. Minutes 45-60 no salt taste. So why keep rinsing after minute 45?

Reach4

Reaction score
Then there was no salt taste minutes 45-60.
So if no salt taste minutes 45-60 why slow rinse that long?
Maybe after tasting stronger brine at minute 40, your taste was desensitized to the taste somewhat.

How about saving samples into drinking glasses to sample when your palate is fresh. I once started looking at whether a cheap TDS meter could be used for the purpose. I forget why I stopped looking into that...

If the salt taste is truly gone at minute 50, you could move your pin 5 holes.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We are talking about a tiny amount of water so rinsing for an extra 10-15 minutes... why wouldn't you. Unless you want to sit there and adjust it constantly down to the minute... water pressure, temperature etc all affect the draw rate and since these vary, so does the timing.

Don't make it complex, it really is quite simple, allow it to be... :)

Matt Williams

Reaction score
Ok thank you. I saw that water pressure does make a difference. The previous softener (which had a bad valve, timer, was 18 years old, and had no resin) I got rid of was operating under 40/60 psi. Which I found out the hard way was way to high, but again, I inherited this system, I didn't put it together and I'm not a plumber, engineer, designer, or in R&D. . With that softener and settings all regen cycles flew out the discharge. And of course that began my joining this forum. Now at 20-40psi which is perfect (for the piping and faucets), regen flow is slower, but that's ok, I think Do what it needs to do. I'd rather not babysit or taste cycles for 100 ish minutes anymore.
New resin, valve, timer, meter, head, and settings, thanks to you.
This plus Aqua mag injected via educator, I hope I'm good to go.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. 30 min to draw correct amount. But why make the total time longer when after 45 total minutes the discharge got salty?
I tasted it. I need the salt to stay in, not rinse out. Minutes 30-45 it slow rinsed no taste. Minutes 45-60 slow rinse was salt taste.
You need the salt bolus to slowly move thru the resin, and then continue on out the drain. You want the salt level to be very low at the drain at the end of the BD time. That extra time is called the slow rinse, even tho it is include in the BD time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks