Cannot get the snake through a T in the toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Riaz Hussain

Reaction score
I am trying to put a snake through a toilet bowl. I removed the bowl and I am putting the snake through the whole in the floor but the snake comes out the other toilet in the next unit toilet! will not go down the common drain for the two units. I have seen many threads but non addresses this problem? Am I asking a dumb question. Need help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Riaz,
You may have a double san cross there which would make it very hard to snake from that position.
Is it a main line issue? Or in the trapway of the toilet itself giving you problems?
Any mainline snaking should be left to an expert, as the machines for that are dangerous to run safely. I don't even own one.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe your neighbor could take a picture of the snake coming out of the toilet.

snake-in-toilet.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Trying to snake through a toilet connection is ALWAYS an "exercise in futility" and even when successful can take "hours" to get the snake to turn the correct way. I never even attempt it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While common on older construction, it sounds like you do not have the preferred fitting between the two toilets. That can become a major problem if you decide to upgrade them to modern, high-performance ones, as it sounds like the fitting you have would allow the flush of one toilet to upset the one opposite it. The proper fitting will have different angles on the inlets...they're bigger, so harder to install without prior planning. That fitting worked with older, slower flushing toilets. Newer ones need to do more with less water, so they are designed to accelerate the water more so that they can clear the bowl. Older ones just used lots more water, the height in the bowl rose, then had its own head pressure to start to move things down the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks