Cast iron vent wyes

Users who are viewing this thread

BRK

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a question about a vent that i saw today. the sanitary wyes used were installed backwards (running upstream) which seems like it would restrict air flow. Is this plausable?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Air is a gas the moves because of pressure differences, NOT GRAVITY, which means it works a lot different than water. For esthetic purposes ONLY the fittings are installed differently than if they were in a water drain situation, meaning, if your terms "backwards" and "upstream" are used properly, the fittings are correct.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Reason also to install it "backwards" is to make sure when someone is snaking the line the snake (cable) will not go up the vent pipe .

Highlander

Reaction score
Aren't they also set up that way so any water getting in through the vent during heavy rain makes it to the sewer or septic?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The FAI I install the Wye and 1/8 bend backwards

The only water that may enter the vent is though the roof terminal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks